The Student Room Group

Sheffield or Leeds.. erm?

So Ive got both offers and they want the same grades so now just have to choose which one
English language and linguistics -Sheffield
English Language- Leeds
Both courses interest me anyone know which one might be better- job oppurtunities etc
Like Leeds city centre however know its a sterotype but saw alot of yah yahs, private school, jack wills etc - not really my scene
Didnt get to see Sheffield city centre, just want somewhere not too grotty where there is lots to do and going on and doesnt feel sort of secluded.
Any advice would be amazing especially if you know both unis THANKS
Reply 1
Original post by cataha
So Ive got both offers and they want the same grades so now just have to choose which one
English language and linguistics -Sheffield
English Language- Leeds
Both courses interest me anyone know which one might be better- job oppurtunities etc
Like Leeds city centre however know its a sterotype but saw alot of yah yahs, private school, jack wills etc - not really my scene
Didnt get to see Sheffield city centre, just want somewhere not too grotty where there is lots to do and going on and doesnt feel sort of secluded.
Any advice would be amazing especially if you know both unis THANKS

tbh the unis are on a par. which would you prefer- a campus like leeds ,or a city based uni like sheffield. leeds city centre is a bit bigger than sheffields and offers more diversity in the way of nightlife. leeds SU is constantly voted one of the best, whilst Sheffield's accomodation is said to be really good
Reply 2
You'll probably get more job opportunities with a joint honours, due to the diversity, but don't hold me on that. There are certain paths which will require a degree with weight in one subject over the other, such as secondary teaching.
Anyway, I only know Leeds so i can't tell you anything about Sheffield. University is pretty close to the center, 5 minutes walk if that with lots going on around it. Good nightlife ect. To be honest Leeds and Sheffield both have the same kind of people, mix of rahs, normal people and chavs so you can't judge it based on that really. I don't get where this private school thing comes from with Leeds, cos we have hardly any private or grammer schools. There all from Harrogate ect :P.
I was stuck between both of these unis last year, although I had offers for English Lit, so I can't really comment on the two courses you're choosing between. I ended up insurance-ing Leeds because I just really disliked the general atmosphere and location of Sheffield, whereas I thought Leeds' campus was lovely, although there are undoubtedly lots of people who love Sheffield and hate Leeds. I've spent quite a lot of time in Leeds over the past term visiting people (so I'm probably a bit biased in favour of it now, since I know it better than I know Sheffield), and all the students I've met have been really nice and friendly, so I don't think that you should be put off by the 'kind' of person that is at Leeds. Leeds is a big university, and the student population seems very diverse, so I'm sure you'd be able to meet lots of people you get on with.
Reply 4
If this helps a little i have stayed at a sheffield campus (not for uni for something called english schools) anyway its really not different from other campus places you know you get what you pay for really. However sheffield has medowhall shopping centre where as i have no idea what leeds has but i am sure something of the same notion :biggrin:
Reply 5
You'll probably get more job opportunities with a joint honours, due to the diversity, but don't hold me on that

Quite. I'd be fascinated to hear of the jobs that differentiate between degrees in English Language and English Language and Linguistics at undergraduate level.

OP, look in depth at the course structure, choice of modules, assessment regime, mix of teaching methods (lectures, seminars including number of students in each, individual tutorials for essay feedback). Try and think about what would honestly suit you best.

If you haven't visited the two unis/departments, take advantage of the visit days. Trust your gut feel about the atmosphere of the departments/unis/cities.

In terms of long term job prospects, both are Russell Group unis with decent reputations and there is nothing to choose between them. What you put into uni in terms of academic work, extra curriculars, volunteering and work experience will ultimately decide your prospects.

good luck (and congratulations on the offers).
Reply 6
Original post by LostHorizons

Original post by LostHorizons
I was stuck between both of these unis last year, although I had offers for English Lit, so I can't really comment on the two courses you're choosing between. I ended up insurance-ing Leeds because I just really disliked the general atmosphere and location of Sheffield, whereas I thought Leeds' campus was lovely, although there are undoubtedly lots of people who love Sheffield and hate Leeds. I've spent quite a lot of time in Leeds over the past term visiting people (so I'm probably a bit biased in favour of it now, since I know it better than I know Sheffield), and all the students I've met have been really nice and friendly, so I don't think that you should be put off by the 'kind' of person that is at Leeds. Leeds is a big university, and the student population seems very diverse, so I'm sure you'd be able to meet lots of people you get on with.

I went on a campus tour for both uni's as I was really late deciding so missed out on the open days. So was hard to get such a feel for the atmosphere, but at the same time it was kind of nice to see students just doing there normal stuff and not trying to sort of impress or sell the uni, which can happen at open days.

I think I liked Sheffield uni but I dont know why I got a sort of 'grey' feel/impression from the city- I do realise how riduculous that sounds. But that could have literally been because it was a cloudy day or the only place I had time to go to was pizza hut. I would go look again but an 8 hour round trip is never that appealing

Thanks so much for your help

Quick Reply