The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/lg-b-android-handset-to-be-slimmer-than-the-iphone-4--916477

it's rumours and speculation, but great news if LG are gonna finally make a go of it in 2011. I always thought it odd they create such a good screen for for the iPhone 4 and put inferior ones in their own phones.
Original post by wizard710

Desire HD > Nexus S :colonhash:

To be honest that says a lot about both phones. First the Desire HD even on Froyo matches the Nexus S, shows sense is pretty awesome. Also shows how underwhelming the Nexus S but to be honest Google never intended to redefine the mobile phone again.

DHD all the way.
Original post by JonCha

2) One of my key arguments vs Android was that it's fragmented, and still is. The dual-core phones coming out next year are only adding to this (especially in regards to gaming, which Google seem to be trying to change with the Playstation Phone).

I don't understand this. Because dual core is impending, how is the platform fragmented? The dual core will be a snapdragon.....

Original post by JonCha
3) My other key argument for not switching to Android was that the OS wasn't as smooth or intuitive as iOS. While the latter may not be quite there yet, it has certainly improved and with regards to the user experience any Nexus S software video will show massive improvements.

4)Plus with the Nexus S, there is finally a phone that offers stock Android and appeals to me in terms of aesthetics and specification.

Whilst an opinion is an opinion, the OS for Android is so much smoother than that of the iOS if installed on a powerful enough phone such as the Desire/Galaxy S/Nexus(s) etc. With HTC adding Sense, it's even better - it really is.

The Nexus S is great though, and with RFID/NFC - it's a hoot. Even more of one is the ability to do street view sat nav. Try doing that on the iOS! Moving over to the Nexus S is a great move, really is - especially if you're a little technical and get bored of the same OS all the time. :cool:
Anyone tried to the new Google Maps.

-So much quicker
-the more 3D view is crazy awesome
-pre caching maps, need I say more. :sexface:

I haven't been able to get the buildings to show in 3D like in the video, I even went to the place they did it on.
Original post by yoyo462001
Anyone tried to the new Google Maps.

-So much quicker
-the more 3D view is crazy awesome
-pre caching maps, need I say more. :sexface:

I haven't been able to get the buildings to show in 3D like in the video, I even went to the place they did it on.

Birmingham and Cardiff should work. Try Brum city centre?
The Empire State building definitely works! Your phone is supported, you should get it. Mine doesn't do any of the 3D map stuff unless I put a 2.2 ROM on it... oh well it's just a gimmick (said with jealousy lol).
Original post by silent ninja

Original post by silent ninja
Birmingham and Cardiff should work. Try Brum city centre?
The Empire State building definitely works! Your phone is supported, you should get it. Mine doesn't do any of the 3D map stuff unless I put a 2.2 ROM on it... oh well it's just a gimmick (said with jealousy lol).

Still not working, it's like it won't let me zoom in enough. I tried Empire State building too.
Please tell me this has nothing to do with my stupid T mobile Branding :facepalm2: .
Okay I got it to work. Turns out it doesn't work when you have any layers on :sigh:
Original post by Driveme
have a galaxy S and an iphone 4... i find the marketplace on android lacking in quality apps. games on android phones are shocking,and to be honest although the app count is getting bigger in marketplace they have quite a way to go to match apples app store

I don't get this at all

I've had my desire hd for over a month now, and every app ive wanted ive found, I've found everything i needed, apps which I thought were specific to iphone only I've also found.

I can only see problems arising if you're looking for something which isn't popular at all, otherwise the android market is perfect
Reply 2850
Original post by Né Stig
I don't understand this. Because dual core is impending, how is the platform fragmented? The dual core will be a snapdragon.....

What I meant was that there is still a lack of consistency throughout the platform. Developers still have to make sure their apps suit a wide range of devices, which in regards to gaming results in apps that are perhaps no truly optimised.
Reply 2851
Nexus S now £430 at Carphone Warehouse. That's more like it - although a SGS is still £60 less, and they've got the Nexus S ROM partially running on it.

Original post by Kaph
Nexus S now £430 at Carphone Warehouse. That's more like it - although a SGS is still £60 less, and they've got the Nexus S ROM partially running on it.

Ooh that isn't too bad. I think I am going to wait till the star is released now
Tempted to try Android on my iPhone 3G... just need to see if apps can be sorted for it now.
Reply 2854
Original post by wizard710
Ooh that isn't too bad. I think I am going to wait till the star is released now

Mm I know what you mean. Tegra 2 powaaah. Thing is, I don't think anything will really take advantage of it until it's a bit more common, so you're looking at 5-6months. Interface should be snappy as hell though. So I might buy a Nexus S and flog it on the 'bay when there are some more dual core phones. Decisions decisions, I just want to get rid of my iPhone 3G ASAP. Hate the thing.
Lo all, I'm trying to use app installer to install apk files onto my desire. However when trying to get into my sd card it says "Can't read folder due to permissions" - how do I get around this.
Original post by Installation

Original post by Installation
Lo all, I'm trying to use app installer to install apk files onto my desire. However when trying to get into my sd card it says "Can't read folder due to permissions" - how do I get around this.

I just use Astro filer manager, to find the apk on my phone then Android installs it.
Original post by yoyo462001
I just use Astro filer manager, to find the apk on my phone then Android installs it.

Yeah I just realised the problem, need to remove it from USB before looking for stuff.
Ta.
Reply 2858
Original post by Kaph

Yeah just need a firmware dump and it should get things moving along nicely, expect the SGS to run the Nexus S fw more or less :biggrin: Can't wait!

Btw bought Titanium Backup pro cos I was reaching 200 apps and couldn't be bothered to sit there restoring them one by one...so much easier now! Flashing takes about 10-15 minutes including the time taken to get everything back on the phone :awesome:
Reply 2859

Alright I know but I couldn't find it any other way :colonhash:

£3.70 it cost me an all.....

Latest

Trending

Trending