The Student Room Group

Guys dirty blonde hair

Hey, was hoping for some advice. At the moment my hair is medium/dark brown (bit reddy brown in places where i died it red/black bout 6 months ago) I wanted to have it a dirty blonde "colour" (Basically highlighted but not looking highlighted) . What would I have to do to get my hair like this?

I tried using a home highlighting kit to test it out but it wasn't great, would it need to be bleached or would it be dyed?

Thanks
Reply 1
Why don't you just shave your entire scalp and get a tattoo that says: "I'm a ****ing retard" ?
See a professional.
Reply 3
Original post by Aack
Why don't you just shave your entire scalp and get a tattoo that says: "I'm a ****ing retard" ?

Seconded.
Original post by Aack

I don't think the *'s would give enough emphasis to the situation :smile:
Reply 5
shesshhh you think people would have better things to do than write stupid responses on here 8-|
Reply 6
Original post by xnatalie01x
See a professional.

agreed - go to a hairdresser 's :wink:
Reply 7
Original post by amsie/
agreed - go to a hairdresser 's :wink:

Thanks I will go and ask :smile:
You want to look like Jay from the Inbetweeners?

Don't do it: from my experience, all guys who do this are either complete faggots or complete *****.
Reply 9
Lol thanks
Original post by KingAnt1990
Hey, was hoping for some advice. At the moment my hair is medium/dark brown (bit reddy brown in places where i died it red/black bout 6 months ago) I wanted to have it a dirty blonde "colour" (Basically highlighted but not looking highlighted) . What would I have to do to get my hair like this?

I tried using a home highlighting kit to test it out but it wasn't great, would it need to be bleached or would it be dyed?

Thanks

You would have to bleach your hair first, that is the only way you can get rid of all the red pigment inside it. Buy two home (pre) lightening kits and apply it to damp hair. Comb it through and leave it for 1 hour. This will possibly get your hair a bright light orange. Wash it off with baby shampoo.

Mix the second kit and apply this and comb through, leave for about 35 minutes. This one will get your hair canary yellow again wash off with baby shampoo.

Apply a 7.1 medium ash blonde colourant to your hair (towel dried) and develop as per manufacturers instructions. This will the turn your hair to a dirty blonde.

Why this colour is quite good for men is because when your dark roots start growing through, they can look really good against the light brown ends.
Reply 11
Original post by ScottCornwall
You would have to bleach your hair first, that is the only way you can get rid of all the red pigment inside it. Buy two home (pre) lightening kits and apply it to damp hair. Comb it through and leave it for 1 hour. This will possibly get your hair a bright light orange. Wash it off with baby shampoo.

Mix the second kit and apply this and comb through, leave for about 35 minutes. This one will get your hair canary yellow again wash off with baby shampoo.

Apply a 7.1 medium ash blonde colourant to your hair (towel dried) and develop as per manufacturers instructions. This will the turn your hair to a dirty blonde.

Why this colour is quite good for men is because when your dark roots start growing through, they can look really good against the light brown ends.

Thanks for this Scott, would this give me the sort of hair like Jay(guy furthest on the left) has in this link (is his highlighted or is that dirty blonde?) http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/photos/scottmills/6134/26. Sorry to keep asking questions but could you reply to my other one in the "anyone need hair help thread", im still unsure about going ahead with the dirty blonde thing but would love to get rid of the copperyness.

go to the hairdressers
Thanks for this Scott, would this give me the sort of hair like Jay(guy furthest on the left) has in this link (is his highlighted or is that dirty blonde?) http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/photos/scottmills/6134/26. Sorry to keep asking questions but could you reply to my other one in the "anyone need hair help thread", im still unsure about going ahead with the dirty blonde thing but would love to get rid of the copperyness.

No you'd have to use Jerome Russell men's highlight kit to get that look. His hair is highlighted and that isn't dirty blonde Duncan James hair in this photo is dirty blonde:-

http://bit.ly/g32kAM

James Buckley's hair has a dirty blonde/light brown base with bleach highlights in it. To achieve this it will take you a bit longer, but what I'd suggest you do is follow the instructions I gave you, lighten the hair to a pale yellow and then apply a 7.1 medium ash blonde colour to the whole head. This will get you that lightest brown shade without warmth.

Then apply the Jerome Russell highlighting cap and pull through hair across the top and around your parting and front hairline. Bleach this hair up with the Jerome Russell bleach contained in the box. But also buy some of Lee Stafford's bleach blonde shampoo. When you can see the hair (you have pulled through the cap) has been lightened to pale yellow - wash the bleach off several times with the violet Lee Stafford shampoo and remove the cap. The Lee Stafford shampoo will tone the highlights and kill any yellow in them.

When you dry the hair you will see then it looks like James Buckley's colour. It sounds like a lot of hard work, but if you have a dark base you have to lighten it all out (with the pre-lightener) to destroy any natural warmth in the hair. Then add a new mid ash blonde hair colour to create a neutral light brown base which looks like it would be your natural shade. You then add the blonde highlights on top. These intermix with the hair and create that overall colour you are seeing in the photo.

If you want to maintain the colour get one of my 'Foil Effects Caps' from Boots.com and keep pulling hair through and bleaching then colouring it light ash blonde (shade number 8.1) every four to six weeks. This is a foil effects method called rotation and it means when your natural dark hair starts growing back through, it will always be on a rotation of being lightened (so the warmth is killed off) and then toned blonde so you keep that shade you like. Doing this will also stop you from getting a root strap appearing after a couple of months. You also won't need to pre-lighten again as you will constantly be highlighting the hair across the head so it always retains the right level of lightness.

I hope that helps

Regards

Scott
Reply 14
No you'd have to use Jerome Russell men's highlight kit to get that look. His hair is highlighted and that isn't dirty blonde Duncan James hair in this photo is dirty blonde:-

http://bit.ly/g32kAM

James Buckley's hair has a dirty blonde/light brown base with bleach highlights in it. To achieve this it will take you a bit longer, but what I'd suggest you do is follow the instructions I gave you, lighten the hair to a pale yellow and then apply a 7.1 medium ash blonde colour to the whole head. This will get you that lightest brown shade without warmth.

Then apply the Jerome Russell highlighting cap and pull through hair across the top and around your parting and front hairline. Bleach this hair up with the Jerome Russell bleach contained in the box. But also buy some of Lee Stafford's bleach blonde shampoo. When you can see the hair (you have pulled through the cap) has been lightened to pale yellow - wash the bleach off several times with the violet Lee Stafford shampoo and remove the cap. The Lee Stafford shampoo will tone the highlights and kill any yellow in them.

When you dry the hair you will see then it looks like James Buckley's colour. It sounds like a lot of hard work, but if you have a dark base you have to lighten it all out (with the pre-lightener) to destroy any natural warmth in the hair. Then add a new mid ash blonde hair colour to create a neutral light brown base which looks like it would be your natural shade. You then add the blonde highlights on top. These intermix with the hair and create that overall colour you are seeing in the photo.

If you want to maintain the colour get one of my 'Foil Effects Caps' from Boots.com and keep pulling hair through and bleaching then colouring it light ash blonde (shade number 8.1) every four to six weeks. This is a foil effects method called rotation and it means when your natural dark hair starts growing back through, it will always be on a rotation of being lightened (so the warmth is killed off) and then toned blonde so you keep that shade you like. Doing this will also stop you from getting a root strap appearing after a couple of months. You also won't need to pre-lighten again as you will constantly be highlighting the hair across the head so it always retains the right level of lightness.

I hope that helps

Regards

Scott

Thanks Scot, now I just need to take the plunge and do it, fingers crossed it suits me and turns out alright! Also when I am doing the re growth I just need to keep the cap on and re dye it light ash blonde on the parts I have highlighted ? Or am dying all the hair light ash blonde then re highlighting? Sorry I got confused on that bit :s-smilie:
Thanks Scot, now I just need to take the plunge and do it, fingers crossed it suits me and turns out alright! Also when I am doing the re growth I just need to keep the cap on and re dye it light ash blonde on the parts I have highlighted ? Or am dying all the hair light ash blonde then re highlighting? Sorry I got confused on that bit :s-smilie:

No you only do it all once (pre lighten, colour dark blonde and then highlight) if you just keep highlighting with bleach and toning with the medium ash blonde colourant every 6 weeks your hair will remain that light shade you want, without you needing to pre-lighten it all again.

It should suit you, the key initially is to make sure you pre-lighten the dark hair you have now to a pale shade and then colour it medium ash blonde (7.1) this will give you that lightest brown base - which you can highlight over the top of.
Reply 16
No you only do it all once (pre lighten, colour dark blonde and then highlight) if you just keep highlighting with bleach and toning with the medium ash blonde colourant every 6 weeks your hair will remain that light shade you want, without you needing to pre-lighten it all again.

It should suit you, the key initially is to make sure you pre-lighten the dark hair you have now to a pale shade and then colour it medium ash blonde (7.1) this will give you that lightest brown base - which you can highlight over the top of.

Thanks Scott, so when I am re doing it every 6 weeks I highlight just the bits I want, then tone them? Or am I toning it all then highlighting just the bits I want? As you can tell I will suit the blonde :colondollar: LOL!
Thanks Scott, so when I am re doing it every 6 weeks I highlight just the bits I want, then tone them? Or am I toning it all then highlighting just the bits I want? As you can tell I will suit the blonde :colondollar: LOL!

No, all you need to do is put the cap on, pull some random hair through (across the head), bleach it up and then tone it.

You won't need to bleach your whole head again. You only need to do that once to kill off all the red in your hair and lighten your overall base down.

After this first pre-lightening, you can just keep the colour up (as I said) by the highlighting and toning. This works (as upkeep) because you will always be adding blonde to the hair so it can never grow it. However, you will find the more times you do this the better the hair colour will look as it will start taking on a natural edge because you will have different light and dark hair running through it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending