The Student Room Group

Is anybody thinking of doing English lit or English and creative writing as a degree?

Is anybody thinking of doing English lit or English and creative writing as a degree?

Just wondered who is serious about choosing either of these two? And if the creative writing one is any good to choose for a good career ? Or if your doing one now? ANYTHING WOULD HELP AND BE AWESOME!! :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
AQA.
(edited 13 years ago)
For some confusing reason completely unbeknownst to me, you have completely changed the topic of this thread. I will, however, respond to your former question which - I do believe - was how to secure a satisfying mark in the AQA English Literature exam.

I scored 100% UMS for my 'AS' qualification in AQA English Literature. If you desire any additional help to what I type up here, feel free to PM or quote me.

(1) Write an enticing introduction. In it, you must define key words from the essay question - this proves to the examiner you are keen to assimilate exactly what the question asks.

(2) Avoid using excessively flowery language at all costs. Not only does it sound absolutely pathetic in retrospect, it also overrides the entire purpose of English Literature, which is to logically, critically and cohesively analyse a piece of text.

(3) Do NOT ignore the important of thorough revision. English-based subjects are often disregarded when it comes to revision, in comparison to Maths and Science subjects since such a huge element of Literature is based exclusively on exam technique in oppose to knowledge or rote memorisation. However, 'A' level Literature requires one to be able to draw on a wide and varied bank of quotations from plays, poems and prose texts in the exam. This, of course, infers thorough memorisation.

(4) Do not rush the questions. Whilst one may be able to get away with this in any other, non-essay-question-based exam, in Literature it is crucial to get the essay structure flowing from the very onslaught.

(5) Remember to enjoy your subject. I read (and am reading) a phenomenal hoard of Canon Literature, which constituted my area of interest. Studying Literature at Advanced Level is the perfect excuse to indulge in books. (p.s. you will struggle to assimilate the sincerity of this last point, unless you are a nerd).
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
I did change the question, I'm new to this and didn't know how to make a new question/thread, I do now so no more confusion :smile: And THANK YOU! This has helped me understand what they expect and how to go about it and still enjoy the subject! So thank you !! :smile:
Original post by Zoe Edwards
I did change the question, I'm new to this and didn't know how to make a new question/thread, I do now so no more confusion :smile: And THANK YOU! This has helped me understand what they expect and how to go about it and still enjoy the subject! So thank you !! :smile:

You are very welcome.
Enjoy your stay at TSR.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending