The Student Room Group

The man who conned his way into Harvard - Inspiration or Cautionary Tale?

I just read this

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/dec/17/student-conned-harvard-sorry

This guy is quite brilliant and so nearly pulled it off, and it led me to contemplate my completely clean and factual CV which has finally got me some work but it is still 100% truth

If I added to it and embellished it well, would it catch up to me? Likely not unless I went too far, but is it worth while doing this in the application form processes required to enter large companies for most people? Adding internships and prizes? Experience and prestige?

Or should we be worried that we'll be the next Stuart Baggs

What do you think?
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Catch me if you can is also on, coincidence or act of divine intervention?
Reply 2
Laddd
Wow. I wonder, if he'd not applied for the grants and scholarships, he'd still have been prosecuted for what he did? I think it's pretty harsh that he's not allowed to profit from his escapades, I mean it's not like he harmed anyone doing what he did.
Reply 4
He is very good!
Smart guy!
:dontknow: There are worse crimes in the world.
There was a similar case where a guy lied about his 10A grades (A level) and 14A* at GCSE to get into Oxford. He only had 3 A grades at a level (after two years of retakes) and his GCSE was a range of grades from As to Bs. He nearly finished a whole term in Oxford before getting caught.
(edited 13 years ago)
Quite a few people lie to get into uni...not to the extend he did perhaps, but I certainly hadn't read all the books I put on my personal statement...
Shame - probably more deserving than most of the people who get in through honesty.
Reply 9
I don't get how these people get away with such things. Surely upon being accepted he'd have to produce grades and certificates, all of which he didn't have.
Original post by Annoying-Mouse

There was a similar case where a guy lied about his 10A grades (A level) and 14A* at GCSE to get into Oxford. He only had 3 A grades at a level (after two years of retakes) and his GCSE was a range of grades from As to Bs. He nearly finished a whole term in Oxford before getting caught.

I remember this. How did they catch him? He didn't apply through UCAS then?
Reply 11
Original post by Addzter
Wow. I wonder, if he'd not applied for the grants and scholarships, he'd still have been prosecuted for what he did? I think it's pretty harsh that he's not allowed to profit from his escapades, I mean it's not like he harmed anyone doing what he did.

He did cheat more deserving people out of scholarships and a student place though...
Reply 12
Original post by CombineHarvester

I think his academic achievements at Oxford weren't good enough to tally with somebody who's managed to get 10 As, then somebody finally thought to check him out.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 13
Who dares wins!
Original post by CombineHarvester

They started getting suspicious because of the standard of his work, it just wasn't up to the standards you would expect someone who has achieved those grades to produce. He did apply to UCAS but applied independently, his previous school didn't know. They rang his old school and asked whether he achieved those grades and they denied it.
Original post by Addzter

but he is harming the reputation of the university. By association that harms the credibility of the degrees of the genuine students and of course makes the staff of the university look slightly silly if they cannot spot a fraud.

Universities have to guard their reputations with fierce pride. All students should do the same, it is hard to win a place at uni and hard to get a degree.

Plagiarism is just not acceptable. That is not quite the same as saying that the you learnt leadership skills when doing your Duke of Edinburgh bronze award.
Original post by a_t
I just read this

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/dec/17/student-conned-harvard-sorry

If I added to it and embellished it well, would it catch up to me? Likely not unless I went too far, but is it worth while doing this in the application form processes required to enter large companies for most people? Adding internships and prizes? Experience and prestige?

Or should we be worried that we'll be the next Stuart Baggs

What do you think?

I would be worried. Stuart Baggs looked an idiot. People can see through fake - sometimes it may take a little while though.
Original post by coldfusion
I don't get how these people get away with such things. Surely upon being accepted he'd have to produce grades and certificates, all of which he didn't have.

He was - but he conned his high-school too (i.e. he got a fake transcript from them). THEY'VE changed their admissions procedure this year anyways - they'll check everything independently, through a checking/auditing company.
(edited 13 years ago)

I read the article and it said it was b/c someone checked his application when he applied to a job/something else; it says he was okay in his work but missed a few tutorials.

Who knows; amazing he managed to get away with it, but he denied someone else a place :rolleyes:
he'll never forget that and has a great story to tell his children.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending