The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7180
Does anyone know how much notice we need to give when resigning? I just posted off my resignation letter giving them 2 weeks notice having been employed by the company for 2 and a half years, and at that specific store for just about 4 months.
Reply 7181
Original post by kyle_y
Does anyone know how much notice we need to give when resigning? I just posted off my resignation letter giving them 2 weeks notice having been employed by the company for 2 and a half years, and at that specific store for just about 4 months.

4 weeks.
Reply 7182
Original post by FXX
4 weeks.

Ah, crap. Thanks.
Reply 7183
Original post by Smidster
Had my interview - very different to the ones I had read about on here.

Because it is a new store on a very tight schedule (Opens Jan 14 and they only began the Online recruitment on Dec 1) it was more a case of having a chat with the prospective manager and him reading things like the data protection information and potential wage.

Really don't think it was successful, not helped by the fact I was shivering due to the cold, so probably not going to be a great Christmas here.

That sounds the same as my interview. I think the only personal questions I was asked were if I knew much about Sainsburys, which my dept. manager who did the interview didn't seem to mind if I answered that (which was good :P), and what I'm doing at the moment in terms of school/college/uni, which I guess is to check how flexible I could be. The test then checks if you have basic knowledge and from there you learn on the induction and pick it up as you work.

I wouldn't write off your chances just yet, it's an incredibly informal interview. To be honest, I think I was shaking from nerves in the interview although I tried to hide that. Two months on and I think I'd be a lot better at it. I've noticed I've become a lot more open person since I started Sainsburys, I think it may be because of the level of interaction involved with the job.

There seems to be a lot more rollers to be worked this week, is that an increase because of Xmas? Our chiller was really fully and there were still loads of rollers left to work when I finished at 10pm, when we're usually just left tidying up because everything has been worked.

Pay day in 2 weeks, I'm looking forward to it after Christmas shopping and having to treat myself before VAT goes up. :rolleyes: Is it wrong to look forward to pay day more than Christmas? :s-smilie:
Original post by TfcIan

Pay day in 2 weeks, I'm looking forward to it after Christmas shopping and having to treat myself before VAT goes up. :rolleyes: Is it wrong to look forward to pay day more than Christmas? :s-smilie:

Nope. I'm really excited for payday but Christmas is just too much hassle for me :rolleyes:
Reply 7185
Original post by Blakestar
Hi there,

I was having a look on the recruitment website and there is a job for 'Team Leader-in-Training'. Does anyone know what this entails?

Thanks.

You'll be a team leader (supervisor). You won't be a team leader until your training is complete and you've been signed off, which can take 6 months.

So basically a "team leader in training" is someone who gets all the grief of a team leader, but with only a fraction of the what a team leader is paid.
Reply 7186
Original post by Taurus-
You'll be a team leader (supervisor). You won't be a team leader until your training is complete and you've been signed off, which can take 6 months.

So basically a "team leader in training" is someone who gets all the grief of a team leader, but with only a fraction of the what a team leader is paid.

In all fairness, a team leader only earns like 50p an hour more.
Original post by davireland
Hi, ive just recieved a confirmed offer on the retail graduate scheme so I may be able to help.

They will be looking for you to demonstrate some sound commercial and retailing knowledge, e.g. who are our competitors? What do they do well? What area of the market (not neccesarily food retailing) do they focus on?

They will be looking to see if you a) have a managerial style b) If you do, is it good? and c) do you have the potential to become a great manager.

You will also need to demonstrate the 'Leadership Behaviours', if you are already a Sains colleague then you can access them on connect, if you are not a Sainsbury's colleague then call your local stores HR department and explain that you are a prospective trainee manager and could you have some more info on the behaviours.

Also, they will look for someone who knows what the company is all about too.

congratulations!!
i've also applied for retail scheme. had my telephone interview yesterday. Havent got any feedback yet. how much time does it take to know the outcome? any response will be highly appreciated.
they're short at work tonight. i think i'm going to work extra hard to make the time go really fast. :biggrin:
Tried to get in today but the roads were awful. After an 2 hours stuck, we turned round and went home. Day 3 of work missed due to snow this month. Really hope they don't use it against me, still on probationary period :frown:
Mountain Dew is tasteless and I don't know why anybody drinks it.
Four freakin' hours it took me to get to work today. Not one thanks did I get for making the effort to get in. My manager just kindly reminded me that if I wanted to leave early, I obviously wouldn't get paid.

Gee thanks Sainsburys, way to make your staff feel appreciated.
My journey wasn't as bad, but yeah no one bothered to ask if everything was okay, manager just asked how i'm getting back in passing.. they probably just assume it was okay or something? or just don't seem to think about it.
I find it quite difficult to break into the group at Sainsbury's. You have to be quite chatty or something, I don't know what you have to do!
Nobody asked how I was getting home or anything. No one ever does. Even when I do a late shift and don't leave until 11pm. It is a bit of a change from my last job, when the manager used to at least ask rather than have you disappear into the night on your own...

There were a few annoyed people as well today. It is the xmas do for our section tomorrow night, only a fair few people were never told about it in the first place. As you had to pay up front, they have now been told they cannot come along. It doesn't really seem fair. Surely, a xmas do for the section should at least be mentioned to everyone on the section. :/
Original post by shooting.star
I find it quite difficult to break into the group at Sainsbury's. You have to be quite chatty or something, I don't know what you have to do!

Should come to my store then, it's like one big team. It was the first thing I noticed when I joined.

Once they see that you are in on certain days etc they'll warm to you. I had a few who wouldn't acknowledge me at first but now do. Seems like you need to show your face several times to earn an 'alright' from them.
Original post by Schumacher
Should come to my store then, it's like one big team. It was the first thing I noticed when I joined.

Once they see that you are in on certain days etc they'll warm to you. I had a few who wouldn't acknowledge me at first but now do. Seems like you need to show your face several times to earn an 'alright' from them.

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping! This another girl started the same time as me and now seems to be good friends with everyone but then I don't do that much overtime so maybe that's why..
Original post by TheLastDaysOfDisco
Four freakin' hours it took me to get to work today. Not one thanks did I get for making the effort to get in. My manager just kindly reminded me that if I wanted to leave early, I obviously wouldn't get paid.

Gee thanks Sainsburys, way to make your staff feel appreciated.

Charming!!I asked to go home early and my supervisor looked really annoyed, but let me. Then the following day my line manager laughed at me when I walked in because I looked like a snowman :rolleyes:
We've been fine weather wise just now although it's -8 outside right now.

It's clearly going to snow tomorrow and I may not make it home afterwards but for Justin King and his cronies, I will work 8 hours on the last Sunday before Christmas.
Do we have to fill out a back to work after being off sick? I haven't done one of those the last 3 times I have been off, not been asked to. I have been there 2 years now though, so does that mean I should be paid?
Urm, no longer wanna do the overtime I stupidy accepted. Do I just phone HR or something and let them know I cant do it that day?

Latest

Trending

Trending