The Student Room Group

Are there any people who believe in God here?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 41
Original post by midpikyrozziy
Actually there have been millions of people who have turned to God and then heard nothing in reply, mainly because he doesn't exist. However, they can turn to their friends and families for support, whereas you can only turn to an imaginary man in the sky because you're scared that if you don't, you'll go to hell. Unlucky.

I know I'm an idiot for being a believer and all, but just wanted to know how you know God is an imaginary man in the sky.

... oh right, you don't, that was just a stupid assumption.
Original post by TruthJS
How do I get God to help me?

I spelt there their*. There, there... it'll be fine.

if you truely believe in Him, good things will happen :wink:
Reply 43
I think the idea of God is comforting but just that, I don't believe in an all powerful God. I think God have may have been aliens or that God might be dead/ not all powerful. For me, I can't find the justification to become totally atheist.
Reply 44
Actually there have been millions of people who have turned to God and then heard nothing in reply, mainly because he doesn't exist. However, they can turn to their friends and families for support, whereas you can only turn to an imaginary man in the sky because you're scared that if you don't, you'll go to hell. Unlucky.

You make it sound like it's either one or the other. People who believe in God also have family and friends.
Reply 46
A lot of people seem to have a real chip on their shoulder about religion.

Some of these over zealous atheists need to get off their high horses because they're completely missing the point.

It doesn't matter if God is real in a material sense because by his very definition he must be greater than anything we can truly comprehend anyway. God is a concept, it's a word for good. Everybody knows what you mean when you refer to "god" because the concept is innate - the act of naming it alone validates it's existence.
Reply 47
Original post by Escriba
I spy a slight conflict herein. Do you believe in God? Most people that do wouldn't dare talk about Him like that. And if not, why do you then think that you're going to meet Him?

Ever heard of an "impersonal god"?

Original post by Miss Purple
if you truely believe in Him, good things will happen :wink:

Not necessarily.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 48
How about better things will happen then? not necessarily good, just better than if you didn't believe in him :P
Reply 49
Original post by jvasos
its a shame that we leave in a nation of unbelievers,

personally i can only testify how much the Lord has done for me, i have received an amazing job from with the odds against me, i have genuinely seen a massive turn around in my life since i became of faith.

it doesn't cost anything for you to try it for yourself, go to church, meditate and truly speak to God and im sure you'll see a turnaround in your life,

i truly pray and feel sorry for the type of ppl posting comments in this forum, thing is at one point in their life, they'll have nowhere to turn to, me- i have always got my Lord and Saviour.

one of my fav quotes is that 'the devil's greatest trick was make people believe that he doesn't exist.'

"For by grace are you saved through faith; and that not of yourselves for it is the gift of God: so that it may be impossible for anyone to boast."(Ephesians 2:8-9)

4 Negs? Oh come on. Jvasos had the sweetest answer and was the only one willing to share from his own experience. Jvasos do you remember the following words?:

'Blessed are ye, when [men] shall revile you, and persecute [you], and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great [is] your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.'

Why would Jesus Christ say this when his teaching was founded upon the law of love? Jesus said:

"Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets."

What type of person stands against this commandment?

The only reason for Jesus to say this would be if he knew that many would not accept his testimony. And before you pass judgement on this statement please finish reading my post. Thank you very much.

I challenge all of the athiests here to read the story of Paul. Paul comes into the Christian story shortly after Jesus comes back to life and returns to heaven. Paul was a Jewish zealot who travelled the region to see to it that Christians were imprisoned or executed. He passionately stood against Christianity and did everything in his power to wipe it out.

Then he was blinded by a fierce light that only he saw and he heard a voice saying, 'Why do you persecute me?'. It was Jesus Christ speaking. Paul visited a nearby town. And a believer in Jesus healed him, after debating with God for a few minutes saying something like, ' Why should I pray for him! isn't this the one trying to kill us all'.

Paul was healed and recieved his sight. He then became a leader of the followers of Jesus called by Paul 'the body of Christ' or simply 'the church'.

(The word church has absolutely nothing to do with the segregation of religious denomination and conflicting beliefs and doctrines. The word church denotes everyone who believes in Jesus Christ for these people are the body of Christ and Christ is the head before God).

Throughout his travells, to tell people about Jesus, Paul suffered greatly. There were many attempts made to end Pauls life and he was often attacked.

Paul writes:

'Are they ministers of Christ? (I speak as a fool) I am more; in labours more abundant, in stripes above measure, in prisons more frequent, in deaths oft.
Of the Jews five times received I forty stripes save one.
Thrice was I beaten with rods, once was I stoned, thrice I suffered shipwreck, a night and a day I have been in the deep; In journeyings often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils by mine own countrymen, in perils by the heathen, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren; In weariness and painfulness, in watchings often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness. Beside those things that are without, that which cometh upon me daily, the care of all the churches.

Paul was loved, admired and a leader of the Jewish community prior to believing in Jesus. Paul tried to eliminate faith in Jesus from the Earth prior to believing in Jesus. If God himself hadn't taken Paul for his own there is no way that a man would willingly do everything he did. (Consider the previous paragraph)

So please consider Paul's story before you make your decision as to whether or not Jesus Christ is who he says he is. Have a look at Paul's wikipedia article 'http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_the_Apostle'.

Jvasos I'm really happy to hear that God helped you to get an amazing job! God bless you! you've acknowledged him and our Lord and Saviour Jesus!

What I think is truely interesting is the quote you put at the end of your (Jvasos) post. "For by grace are you saved through faith; and that not of yourselves for it is the gift of God: so that it may be impossible for anyone to boast."(Ephesians 2:8-9)"

Paul writes in his letters (books of the New Testamanet in the bible) that we cannot be saved through good deeds (or works) but instead we are saved by choosing to believe that Jesus Christ is the son of God and that we he said and did is truth.

Paul is saying we cannot be saved, that is go to heaven, and be loved by God because we follow all of his rules. We are saved, that is go to heaven, and are loved by God simply because we choose to believe in Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ is the son of God.

Wouldn't you like it if someone was nice to your son and believed what he said :smile:.
Reply 50
i could understand people saying religion is a load of rubbish, which i would probably agree with.

however i think that science definitely doesnt answer everything and i believe that there could be some kind of higher power out there somewhere. (this is just a personal belief of mine, but i'll probably get negged by the 95% of tsr users that seem to think anyone who believes in god is the dumbest person alive).
Reply 51
Original post by S-man10

Not necessarily.

As Jesus Christ is the son of God. It makes sense that God is both infinite and a person at the same time. Therefore God can relate personally but what would a person have to do to recieve this honour?

Jesus Christ said, 'blessed are the pure in heart for they will see God'. But what is purity? I only recieve 10,000 results with arguments in favour of abstinence and no sex before marriage when googling 'purity'

Surely Jesus Christ didn't say, "Don't have sex before marriage and you will see God'. No, purity must be something greater than feeling guilty every time you finish masturbating.

Remember I've started this thread with the intention of discovering how I can get God to help me. And yes, if the athiests read my earlier post in regards to Paul then perhaps they'll join in constructively too.
Reply 52
Original post by S-man10

Not necessarily.

Nope.
Me, and why do I believe in God? Simply because I think this world would not exist if there is no God
Original post by capucinnolover
Me, and why do I believe in God? Simply because I think this world would not exist if there is no God

Why do you think this world would not exist if there is no God?
Original post by damidude
I know I'm an idiot for being a believer and all, but just wanted to know how you know God is an imaginary man in the sky.

... oh right, you don't, that was just a stupid assumption.

It's not up for me to prove there is no God, but for you to disprove it. If I claim that something completely ridiculous exists, and then say you can't disprove it, it doesn't make it any more likely to exist.

If it's any consolation I'm open to the possibility of a God, just not the one in any popular religion.

Original post by The Stig
You make it sound like it's either one or the other. People who believe in God also have family and friends.

True, but that was what the guy I was quoting was making it sound like that. I wasn't saying that to believers as a whole, only him.
Original post by TruthJS
4 Negs? Oh come on. Jvasos had the sweetest answer and was the only one willing to share from his own experience. Jvasos do you remember the following words?:

'Blessed are ye, when [men] shall revile you, and persecute [you], and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great [is] your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.'

Why would Jesus Christ say this when his teaching was founded upon the law of love? Jesus said:

"Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets."

What type of person stands against this commandment?

The only reason for Jesus to say this would be if he knew that many would not accept his testimony. And before you pass judgement on this statement please finish reading my post. Thank you very much.

I challenge all of the athiests here to read the story of Paul. Paul comes into the Christian story shortly after Jesus comes back to life and returns to heaven. Paul was a Jewish zealot who travelled the region to see to it that Christians were imprisoned or executed. He passionately stood against Christianity and did everything in his power to wipe it out.

Then he was blinded by a fierce light that only he saw and he heard a voice saying, 'Why do you persecute me?'. It was Jesus Christ speaking. Paul visited a nearby town. And a believer in Jesus healed him, after debating with God for a few minutes saying something like, ' Why should I pray for him! isn't this the one trying to kill us all'.

Paul was healed and recieved his sight. He then became a leader of the followers of Jesus called by Paul 'the body of Christ' or simply 'the church'.

(The word church has absolutely nothing to do with the segregation of religious denomination and conflicting beliefs and doctrines. The word church denotes everyone who believes in Jesus Christ for these people are the body of Christ and Christ is the head before God).

Throughout his travells, to tell people about Jesus, Paul suffered greatly. There were many attempts made to end Pauls life and he was often attacked.

Paul writes:

'Are they ministers of Christ? (I speak as a fool) I am more; in labours more abundant, in stripes above measure, in prisons more frequent, in deaths oft.
Of the Jews five times received I forty stripes save one.
Thrice was I beaten with rods, once was I stoned, thrice I suffered shipwreck, a night and a day I have been in the deep; In journeyings often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils by mine own countrymen, in perils by the heathen, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren; In weariness and painfulness, in watchings often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness. Beside those things that are without, that which cometh upon me daily, the care of all the churches.

Paul was loved, admired and a leader of the Jewish community prior to believing in Jesus. Paul tried to eliminate faith in Jesus from the Earth prior to believing in Jesus. If God himself hadn't taken Paul for his own there is no way that a man would willingly do everything he did. (Consider the previous paragraph)

So please consider Paul's story before you make your decision as to whether or not Jesus Christ is who he says he is. Have a look at Paul's wikipedia article 'http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_the_Apostle'.

Jvasos I'm really happy to hear that God helped you to get an amazing job! God bless you! you've acknowledged him and our Lord and Saviour Jesus!

What I think is truely interesting is the quote you put at the end of your (Jvasos) post. "For by grace are you saved through faith; and that not of yourselves for it is the gift of God: so that it may be impossible for anyone to boast."(Ephesians 2:8-9)"

Paul writes in his letters (books of the New Testamanet in the bible) that we cannot be saved through good deeds (or works) but instead we are saved by choosing to believe that Jesus Christ is the son of God and that we he said and did is truth.

Paul is saying we cannot be saved, that is go to heaven, and be loved by God because we follow all of his rules. We are saved, that is go to heaven, and are loved by God simply because we choose to believe in Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ is the son of God.

Wouldn't you like it if someone was nice to your son and believed what he said :smile:.

If God is all-knowing, all-powerful etc etc, why would he feel the need to create a universe, put a load of humans on a planet - ravage it with disease, war & death, then send us to hell purely for not believing in him?

I'm sorry I respect your belief but I can't believe how ridiculously arrogant this seems, why would he punish people for eternity for not believing in him? Why does he even need to do that. It's not as if he can blame people for not believing in him - with everything that's happened and is happening in the world.

I mean, say it comes to judgement day and you've lead a really good life, you've helped others and done the best you can with your life... would God really send you to hell just for not believing in him? I mean, that's ridiculous if so.

Your story about Paul - I don't follow completely, he's converted to believe in God and then he starts getting attacked & beaten, that's a bit unfair isn't it? Someone who's just seen the light gets punished strongly? I must have missed something.

That's of course if the story is true, there may have been a man called Jesus around, there may have been a man called Paul around, but there's absolutely no evidence to show that any of this happened anyway.

Like I said, I respect your belief - I don't wish to insult you in any of this, I'm just looking for some answers.
Science holds more plausible answers regarding life and the origins of the universe than the bible. Using common sense and rationality, one must be able to deduct that The Big Bang and the Inflation Theory holds more ground under scientific scrutiny and empirical thinking than a higher being having "created" the world in six days/ages. One must also admit that random mutation in the genes from conception is a scientific fact and thus the Theory of Evolution and Natural Selection hold more credibility than God having simply "created" human beings and other animals.

The arguments of the Causation and Teleological Theory are venerable but if all effects have a cause and everything originates from one effect (i.e. God) then these two statements conflict as the original effect must have a cause. Science is developing an alternative theory to the origins of the Big Bang from Brane Theory to the Many-Worlds Interpretation, some regard time as being non-existent "before" the Big Bang so the issues of a never-ending cycle could not apply. As for the Teleological Argument regarding the complexity and intricacy of the universe, science can explain many of the phenomenons and nature, after-all, a couple of billions of years to experiment before the beauty of stars and pulsars appeared.

I believe religion is a human invention to deny some of the phenomenons that perplexed humans in the past, some are answered, some soon to be. I respect all religions as their morals are honourable but I believe society can function with the same morals without the need for a belief of a higher deity. "God" just seems to be a too unscientific entity to exist.
Actually there have been millions of people who have turned to God and then heard nothing in reply

It's probably worthwhile asking what they're turning to God for though. If they're asking for work/money/women/healing etc... then there is every possibility that they won't receive what they're asking for. These are all earthly posessions and benefits which should be of little or no value to a Christian. In Phillipians 3:7-11, Paul says that he considers all of his wordly gains as rubbish, and that he much prefers to have Christ and in fact share in his sufferings.

If people ask for a great job, or lots of money, or a hot wife, or a cure for cancer etc, then they're ignoring what God considers to be the only important thing. In Luke 11:9-13 you see Jesus telling people that if they ask then they will receive... but notice what he says they will receive: "how much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!". God's priority is his Kingdom, and as Jesus said, "It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of Heaven" (Luke 18:25)
Original post by Chwirkytheappleboy
It's probably worthwhile asking what they're turning to God for though. If they're asking for work/money/women/healing etc... then there is every possibility that they won't receive what they're asking for. These are all earthly posessions and benefits which should be of little or no value to a Christian. In Phillipians 3:7-11, Paul says that he considers all of his wordly gains as rubbish, and that he much prefers to have Christ and in fact share in his sufferings.

If people ask for a great job, or lots of money, or a hot wife, or a cure for cancer etc, then they're ignoring what God considers to be the only important thing. In Luke 11:9-13 you see Jesus telling people that if they ask then they will receive... but notice what he says they will receive: "how much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!". God's priority is his Kingdom, and as Jesus said, "It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of Heaven" (Luke 18:25)

So what you're saying is God doesn't give a **** about his creation?
Thanks for clearing that up then.:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending