The Student Room Group

Found a waitress cute, how can I ask to know her without sounding creepy?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rogreg8
it ain't about chivalry, it's about dope lyrics and delivery.
it's about your persona, ain't nothin' like a man, that can do what he wanna'

hell to the yes.

Tune :sogood:. underrated song.
Reply 21
Don't be scared to go back. But don't go back expecting to ask her out or get her number either. You're encounter was sweet, but now build up your approach instead of being somewhat anxious to get her details and make something of it.

Go back, thank her for coming out and giving the membership pack to you and ask her where she's from (in the states). Ask her if she's been working long. Then mention that you come by the place sometimes to eat, that you're coming by in a few days again for a meal and that you hope to see her around. Grab her name before leaving (make the conversation short and concise out of respect that she has to do her job), go in a few days for either another meal (if this can't be arranged, go in for a drink) and see if you see her, using that as another opportunity to converse with her. If she's not there, ask a staff member to see if she is; logic.
(edited 13 years ago)
Really dont give her anything. try going backfor food (not on your own) and just leave your name on a napkin unless you can get a decent conversation out of her
hey OP. I say ring up and say to the person on duty is that american girl there who worked such and such. such and such. then give it a while. maybe week or two. then go and meet her. if there is one thin I learnt in 16 years its : never give up before you start.

btw is stones expensive. my college is in twickenham. I want to grab a pizza at lunch time oneday.
Reply 24
Original post by Roo Bix
Don't be scared to go back. But don't go back expecting to ask her out or get her number either. You're encounter was sweet, but now build up your approach instead of being somewhat anxious to get her details and make something of it.

Go back, thank her for coming out and giving the membership pack to you and ask her where she's from (in the states). Ask her if she's been working long. Then mention that you come by the place sometimes to eat, that you're coming by in a few days again for a meal and that you hope to see her around. Grab her name before leaving (make the conversation short and concise out of respect that she has to do her job), go in a few days for either another meal (if this can't be arranged, go in for a drink) and see if you see her, using that as another opportunity to converse with her. If she's not there, ask a staff member to see if she is; logic.

Best advice thus far. Thanks. So I can just drop by, not necessarily give anything but simply say thanks, strike a conversation along those lines.. and drop by the following week?

(I have half a mind to steal your sig btw :ninja:
Reply 25
Original post by House of Jonny
hey OP. I say ring up and say to the person on duty is that american girl there who worked such and such. such and such. then give it a while. maybe week or two. then go and meet her. if there is one thin I learnt in 16 years its : never give up before you start.

btw is stones expensive. my college is in twickenham. I want to grab a pizza at lunch time oneday.

We only went for desserts so only got that bit of the menu. Seemed fine though, its a very small place.. we we're pretty much the only customers when we went in too.
Reply 27
Original post by Anonymous
Best advice thus far. Thanks. So I can just drop by, not necessarily give anything but simply say thanks, strike a conversation along those lines.. and drop by the following week?

(I have half a mind to steal your sig btw :ninja:

Yes. Because you're demonstrating both manners and a little charm at the same time. You are keeping her interested, yet maintaining the situation to be quite flexible. Girls are closed books when it comes to first meets most of the time, especially waitresses - they are a book with a fancy ribbon binding it shut as a result of all the advances they endure as part of their job.

You can't do that, especially as Anonymous! :ninja: Hit me up if you need to talk though.
Reply 28
I see your point, will probably will go with the 'stroll in and say thanks' trick. I think the success of this would depend on how well our conversation goes at that point.. if it just falls flat I'l allow going back with a friend and pursuing it.
Reply 29
Probably the worst thing you could do would be to get her something to say thanks. She's a waitress so its her job to keep customers happy and making sure they take their stuff.

I say you should go next saturday with some mates for a meal or whatever and then go up alone and say hey. Nothing bad can come from it, just be sweet and smile, and if not so what?
Reply 30
I see your point, will probably will go with the 'stroll in and say thanks' trick. I think the success of this would depend on how well our conversation goes at that point.. if it just falls flat I'l allow going back with a friend and pursuing it.

But you're over thinking again. Just, listen to Roo Bix on this one :cookie:
Reply 31
So I went out to dinner today with my family and we went to this pizza place afterwards for dessert.

I found the waitress who served us REALLY cute.. she didn't have any striking features or anything, but I was quite attracted to her nevertheless. Anyway, after the dessert I forgot this membership pack that my brother-in-law gave me (its like a really small box) and we walked down the road a little, exiting the restaurant. The waitress then came out into the snow and jogged a little saying ''excuse me!!'' After I collected it from her I just said ''thanks this is really important!'' n she smiled, turned around and hurried back. I wish I had said more, but I've never been one of those guys who approach girls I barely know like that.

I kinda felt I had an opportunity to grab a name or something but failed. There's a chance she's years older than me (I'm 21), but I reckon she must be roughly my age and a student. She had this american accent and was workin on a Saturday so its probable.

Anyway, despite my zero confidence, I still want to use our little incident to get to know her somehow. I was thinking dropping by on a satruday evening and giving her something to say thanks? Also how would I go about speaking to her further than just ''thanks alot for bringing that pack out in the cold after we left!''?

Or would this be too creepy and should I just forget about it.

When you go there next time, try and get her to serve you and just mention it lightly offhand like "oh by the way thanks for... blah blah" but don't use that as the starting point of ur convo, this way you won't sound creepy (what she did is usually something people remember anyway) and maybe just ask if she's a student etc etc oh i'm a student as well lalalala... if u wanted to keep it slow then maybe ask for her number the time you come after THAT... the first time you talk and asking for her number might make it look like that's all your after...
Reply 32
I don't think I've ever said to a girl ''can I have your number''.... it just seems too desperate almost. Any idea how to flow it into the conversation?

I might say something like ''its cool you're a student.. same here... blah blah.. listen I'd like to take you out for a coffee or something to say thanks for giving me the membership''.. how does that sound? Still odd to me, but maybe its because ive never done it
Reply 33
I don't think I've ever said to a girl ''can I have your number''.... it just seems too desperate almost. Any idea how to flow it into the conversation?

I might say something like ''its cool you're a student.. same here... blah blah.. listen I'd like to take you out for a coffee or something to say thanks for giving me the membership''.. how does that sound? Still odd to me, but maybe its because ive never done it

It sounds bad. And don't try and flow in 'can I have your number', this is the second time you've met her, the encounter wasn't all that intriguing and she's a waitress.

Me, facepalm.
Reply 34
Original post by Roo Bix
It sounds bad. And don't try and flow in 'can I have your number', this is the second time you've met her, the encounter wasn't all that intriguing and she's a waitress.

Me, facepalm.

I made that error on purpose to check you were on the ball there Roo Bix
Reply 35
Ok I want to help you out because... well I just want to! But I'm new on here and I'm NOT a girl.

Firstly do not to the gift thing. Seriously going back with a gift just because you left something in the restaurant is not good. You want to go for the meal method.

Also you might want to change your aims as it helps with confidence. If I were in your situation then my aims upon going in the restaurant would be to find out three things you have in common and to make her laugh three times or whatever. Don't think about dates or numbers because I find that just puts pressure on myself. That might not be the case for you but I like to take small steps.

Right...

I think the best option is to go back on the same (quiet) night with ONE other friend. I actually think it would be better with a girl actually. If you do then make the pizza the priority but do mention to her that you want to strike up a conversation with the waitress. Ask her to smile if you do start and maybe she can add a little to the convo too. This will give the impression that your just mates, that your single. If it's a guy then tell him about the cute waitress too, and make sure he keeps his mouth shut. He can be looking at the menu or something!! I wouldn't go in with more than one friend.

Mention that you REMEMBER her as the nice (or at a push cute) girl who brought the pack back out. Instantly your telling her that your interested in her as you've remembered her from a week or two. This isn't creepy. By nonchalantly slipping in the word cute this reinforces it. With that she'll hopefully be taking your order etc and you've got a minute to ask her a few questions. Obviously ask for name, perhaps age and where she's from, but most importantly go for questions where you'll be able to say "Me too". This establishes that your similar. Eg "So are you a student here?" you can say "Oh me too I'm a student at...". If you work at the weekends tell her, worked in a food place before etc etc. You've really got to do this in a friendly but playful manner, make it look as though you do this regularly to girls, that you always chat to waitresses. Don't do it with a really concentrated look on you. You've got to look fun and playful, she's at work so add in a little fun! Tease her about her outfit or how she has to act so "professional"! Get her out of the workplace!

If it goes well then you can occasionally ask her over with a cheeky grin "Excuse me waitress can I have some more salt?" or whatever. BIG SMILE whilst you say it. Or even "Excuse me Miss Waitress...." That's bound to put a smile on her face.

However don't make her the main focus of you coming into the pizza place. Stretch the meal out, chat with your friend (< two more reasons why you should pick a girl to take!!), order dessert and make sure she doesn't catch you staring at her, that will be really bad. Remember filling your gut up and spending quality time with your friend is much more important than any girl who you've only known for half an hour.

Now if everything has gone good so far (ask your female friend if your unsure), and if you've hit your previous aims (as I talked about in the first paragraph) then it's number time!! Don't even BOTHER getting it on the second week as you'll have little chance, you want to do it on the first proper contact with her. You want to show her that you have confidence and don't fear rejection. Coming in again the next week will mean that she's tagged on to you liking her and you'll lose the whole "mysterious/interesting" side that any guy has when girls first meet them. You've got to seal the deal on the same night that you opened it!

Best time will of course be when your asking for the bill (not when you've given it to her, that is too late). Personally I would say something jokey like "So I hope you've enjoyed having us as customers" or "Hmm I'm not sure if you deserve a tip or not....". I would ask her "What time do you get off?" followed by "Oh so how many days do you work here then?". With that I'd get in. Again I'd keep to the confident routine and say "Oh so you'd be free to join me next Friday to see a film then?" or "So are you free Wednesday? It's just I would love to take you out and Wednesday would definitely be the best day?". I suppose you could just ask "can I take you out sometime" but I've never done that. By using the former I think you've got more room for manoeuvre. Look at her face when you say this and you'll be able to gauge her instant reaction. Anything positive then say "Cool so can I get your number?", anything unsure then you can say "I'm being serious you know!" or "Arr are you going to give me answer then?". If she says she's got a boyfriend then say "Oh that's unlucky". If she says no or looks negatively then I'd just say "Oh your no fun!" or "Woah your missing out then!". If she quickly changes the subject then change with her and don't ask her again as it's clearly a no. Apart from saying "Thanks" with a big smile when she brings back the bill I'd leave it at that, I certainly wouldn't hang around talking to her anymore. Save your chit chat for the date! So take your lady friend and leave and she can congratulate you when you get out :biggrin:

Oh and one more thing if you do get her number then DON'T TIP! If you don't get her number then DON'T TIP! If you didn't ask for her number I wouldn't bother going back as it will be sure sign that your into her and not the pizza and that just isn't what women like.

I have posted so much now that you'd better do exactly what I say and in a weeks time come back and tell me how it went. Or else!:biggrin:

Good luck. :wink:
Reply 36
At a place called 'Stones' in Kingston.

(They do stone baked pizza:rolleyes:)

Haha, thanks. She's mine now sucker!
Original post by AXR
Ok I want to help you out because... well I just want to! But I'm new on here and I'm NOT a girl.

Firstly do not to the gift thing. Seriously going back with a gift just because you left something in the restaurant is not good. You want to go for the meal method.

Also you might want to change your aims as it helps with confidence. If I were in your situation then my aims upon going in the restaurant would be to find out three things you have in common and to make her laugh three times or whatever. Don't think about dates or numbers because I find that just puts pressure on myself. That might not be the case for you but I like to take small steps.

Right...

I think the best option is to go back on the same (quiet) night with ONE other friend. I actually think it would be better with a girl actually. If you do then make the pizza the priority but do mention to her that you want to strike up a conversation with the waitress. Ask her to smile if you do start and maybe she can add a little to the convo too. This will give the impression that your just mates, that your single. If it's a guy then tell him about the cute waitress too, and make sure he keeps his mouth shut. He can be looking at the menu or something!! I wouldn't go in with more than one friend.

Mention that you REMEMBER her as the nice (or at a push cute) girl who brought the pack back out. Instantly your telling her that your interested in her as you've remembered her from a week or two. This isn't creepy. By nonchalantly slipping in the word cute this reinforces it. With that she'll hopefully be taking your order etc and you've got a minute to ask her a few questions. Obviously ask for name, perhaps age and where she's from, but most importantly go for questions where you'll be able to say "Me too". This establishes that your similar. Eg "So are you a student here?" you can say "Oh me too I'm a student at...". If you work at the weekends tell her, worked in a food place before etc etc. You've really got to do this in a friendly but playful manner, make it look as though you do this regularly to girls, that you always chat to waitresses. Don't do it with a really concentrated look on you. You've got to look fun and playful, she's at work so add in a little fun! Tease her about her outfit or how she has to act so "professional"! Get her out of the workplace!

If it goes well then you can occasionally ask her over with a cheeky grin "Excuse me waitress can I have some more salt?" or whatever. BIG SMILE whilst you say it. Or even "Excuse me Miss Waitress...." That's bound to put a smile on her face.

However don't make her the main focus of you coming into the pizza place. Stretch the meal out, chat with your friend (< two more reasons why you should pick a girl to take!!), order dessert and make sure she doesn't catch you staring at her, that will be really bad. Remember filling your gut up and spending quality time with your friend is much more important than any girl who you've only known for half an hour.

Now if everything has gone good so far (ask your female friend if your unsure), and if you've hit your previous aims (as I talked about in the first paragraph) then it's number time!! Don't even BOTHER getting it on the second week as you'll have little chance, you want to do it on the first proper contact with her. You want to show her that you have confidence and don't fear rejection. Coming in again the next week will mean that she's tagged on to you liking her and you'll lose the whole "mysterious/interesting" side that any guy has when girls first meet them. You've got to seal the deal on the same night that you opened it!

Best time will of course be when your asking for the bill (not when you've given it to her, that is too late). Personally I would say something jokey like "So I hope you've enjoyed having us as customers" or "Hmm I'm not sure if you deserve a tip or not....". I would ask her "What time do you get off?" followed by "Oh so how many days do you work here then?". With that I'd get in. Again I'd keep to the confident routine and say "Oh so you'd be free to join me next Friday to see a film then?" or "So are you free Wednesday? It's just I would love to take you out and Wednesday would definitely be the best day?". I suppose you could just ask "can I take you out sometime" but I've never done that. By using the former I think you've got more room for manoeuvre. Look at her face when you say this and you'll be able to gauge her instant reaction. Anything positive then say "Cool so can I get your number?", anything unsure then you can say "I'm being serious you know!" or "Arr are you going to give me answer then?". If she says she's got a boyfriend then say "Oh that's unlucky". If she says no or looks negatively then I'd just say "Oh your no fun!" or "Woah your missing out then!". If she quickly changes the subject then change with her and don't ask her again as it's clearly a no. Apart from saying "Thanks" with a big smile when she brings back the bill I'd leave it at that, I certainly wouldn't hang around talking to her anymore. Save your chit chat for the date! So take your lady friend and leave and she can congratulate you when you get out :biggrin:

Oh and one more thing if you do get her number then DON'T TIP! If you don't get her number then DON'T TIP! If you didn't ask for her number I wouldn't bother going back as it will be sure sign that your into her and not the pizza and that just isn't what women like.

I have posted so much now that you'd better do exactly what I say and in a weeks time come back and tell me how it went. Or else!:biggrin:

Good luck. :wink:

Didn't read but repped for dedication.
When I was a waitress, one day this male customer asked me for a pen after his meal. So I got him one, and when I got back he had left his phone number on a napkin lol...
The silly guy forgot to say who it was for though, for all we know he was homosexual and the number was aimed at the waiter I was working with :P

But seriously, go for it :smile: If nothing else, it will make her day!
Go back to the restaurant as soon as possible (so that she still remembers you) and ask her collegues if she's working that day, or when she's next working. If she's already at work, then ask if you could speak to her a sec and ask her out. Don't go for food and don't give her a gift. A thank you would be more than enough. Don't be too much of a stalker, and prepare a card or something with your name and phone number written on it in case she's busy. Good luck!

P.S. Brace yourself for embarassment or disapointment if she's not interested or already has a bf. If that's the case, just compliment her or say how lucky her bf is in a gentleman like fashion, and try and make your exit gracefully. ^^

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending