The Student Room Group

What's the meaning of life?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
death.

jus' trolling :ahee:
Original post by TruthJS
Someone once said everyone has their own individual truth but how can this be?
That we all believe whatever we want to believe... I think if this were so some people would be right and others would be wrong. Unless of course there are no absolutes. Perhaps some people believe in degrees of truth but certainely as we do not know what happens after death the search for this ultimate truth would be of paramount importance.

Infinite afterlifes? No this cannot be for what about the athiests who have demanded proof prior to believing? No God at all? Well how can existence exist...

For starters, strip away religion from any meaning. If meaning comes down to whether god exists or not, then you're splitting it up simply into theists vs atheists... the same old boring black and white argument. Better off looking at meaning independently and consider religion as an element rather than the single deciding factor. The causative relationship of religion and meaning in life is debatable in itself - Which is the cause and which is the effect?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by StephenP91
There is no meaning to life. We are a complex composition of matter. What you do now matters not and neither does what you do later.

But isn't the concept of meaning just a human construct anyway?
Reply 43
The number of replies (before this one I'm writing, that is) is 42.

Spooky stuff :cookie:
The replies in this thread are fascinating. The majority of people say there is no meaning. The reason for this is that our generation has been indocterinated with the ideals of negative liberty. We believe that we are just individuals looking to maximise our own utilty.

If you have asked this question a few hundered years ago the answer would have centralised around getting to Heaven.

My view is one of positive liberty. The realisation of a changing myself, changing people and changing the world for the better. The problem with this outlook is that I do not know what this better is.
Reply 45
Original post by turn and fall
The replies in this thread are fascinating. The majority of people say there is no meaning. The reason for this is that our generation has been indocterinated with the ideals of negative liberty. We believe that we are just individuals looking to maximise our own utilty.

If you have asked this question a few hundered years ago the answer would have centralised around getting to Heaven.

My view is one of positive liberty. The realisation of a changing myself, changing people and changing the world for the better. The problem with this outlook is that I do not know what this better is.

So what are we all aiming for?

For starters what way of living is the best?
Original post by TruthJS
Discuss it.

Is the answer to be found in relationships, religion, quality of living or something else?

This ---> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meaning_of_life

Vóílá!!! :eek:
Meaning is a luxury for the weak :yep:
Original post by TruthJS
So what are we all aiming for?

For starters what way of living is the best?

Freedom from internal constraint.

I suppose liberation from illusory safetywould be a start.
Reply 49
Original post by TruthJS
Discuss it.

Is the answer to be found in relationships, religion, quality of living or something else?

That is a question you must answer yourself, as the meaning of your own life can only be determined by you. What do you hope to do in your life? That is the answer.
Reply 50
To enjoy etc!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 51
The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things.
Reply 52
Personally I'm a determinist and nihilist, so there isn't one. More practically I would say enjoying yourself (although this is inherently subjective, and obviously involves further dilemmas).

Not caring about or attempting to ignore the meaning of life works for me.
Reply 53
to worship God and hopefully get a one way ticket to heaven
I don't see myself as "alive" per se. I see myself as a collection of atoms with electrical impulses going everywhere. I'm about as alive as a handful of dirt
Reply 55
Be born, reproduce, die.
The meaning of life, the universe and everything

Is 42
Original post by UAG
ah have offen been reckonin' about th' quesshun: "Whut in tarnations th' meanin' of life". Some varmints reckon love is th' meanin' of life, but it's jest, in mah mind, an illushun nature haf givin' yo' t'have sex an' reprodooce. An' we keep on reproducin' an' reproducin' junerashun af'er junerashun, but fo' whut? ah mean we develop an' acheive great thin's an' all but only fo' our own benefits. ah's sho'nuff thets whuffo' varmints inventet religion on account o' thar is no higher reason fo' life. Atheist like me hafta live fo' reasons like survivin', reproducin' an' gittin' th' bess outta life. Life is not simple an' easy. Yo' hafta hoof it through hard times an' wawk them out yo'seff. Eff'n jest we c'd jest live in a wo'ld wif no fear, no obligashuns, no wo'ries, no nothin' but pure happiness. Jest bein' in a eupho'iant state fo'evah an' evah doin' nothin' but partyin' an' havin' sex. Eff'n so we'dn't wonner whut th' meanin' of life was. Hope thar is a place like thet af'er death? This hyar is not a cornclushun of "whut th' meanin' of life" is, on account o' thar is none, it's indivijool, but yo' hafta live fo' sumpin o' else yo' simply kin't live.

:lolwut: Did you deliberately make that impossible to read?
Reply 59
Make lots of money till you drop, and then "spend" them in your funeral. :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending