The Student Room Group

Insurance payout

My brother was totalled from behind in his 106 by an old man, wrote the car off etc. The guy admitted liability and everything so now he is just waiting to hear from the insurance company regarding a payout. I was just wondering if any of you know from experience how much he should expect to get? I know that you should always reject the first offer they give you. O and his car was valued at <1000 on his insurance...

Cheers
(edited 13 years ago)
you usually try and screw you for as low a payout as possible. Usually trade value or less if they can get away with it. Luckily second hand cars have kept their value lately so provide lots of examples off autotrader showing your car at reasonable value when you reject the first offer.

sadly in most cases of non fault you still end up worse off than before and the only way round it is to claim compo or sue them for damages. Of course if insurers played fair it wouldnt be necessary to do that to recoup losses. but they are profit orientated only and sod customer service these days. plus 90% of people ARE stupid so dont question them.
''whiplash''
Original post by DesignFreak
''whiplash''

**** you.

No, really, **** you.

I just had a serious neck injury from an accident caused by another driver which resulted in me experiencing the most ungodly agonising pain for several months (before I bit the bullet and spent £7,000 on private surgery). I've finally had compensation awarded, but before I'd paid for my private treatment (with only the assessments of my GP, a physio and a few x-rays to go on) the insurers refused to pay out. I had to initially fund the cost of my treatment by selling my (repaired) car for less than it was really worth, and borrowing thousands off family members. It took the MRI results and a court appearance to get my money at long last.

All because of people faking injuries, just like you're suggesting.
Reply 4
Original post by TShadow383
**** you.

No, really, **** you.

I just had a serious neck injury from an accident caused by another driver which resulted in me experiencing the most ungodly agonising pain for several months (before I bit the bullet and spent £7,000 on private surgery). I've finally had compensation awarded, but before I'd paid for my private treatment (with only the assessments of my GP, a physio and a few x-rays to go on) the insurers refused to pay out. I had to initially fund the cost of my treatment by selling my (repaired) car for less than it was really worth, and borrowing thousands off family members. It took the MRI results and a court appearance to get my money at long last.

calm down dear. No-body is saying to fake anything, besides, if he was 'totalled' from behind it's highly likely that he will have whiplash and should be claiming personal injury.
Original post by dontlookforme
My brother was totalled from behind in his 106 by an old man, wrote the car off etc. The guy admitted liability and everything so now he is just waiting to hear from the insurance company regarding a payout. I was just wondering if any of you know from experience how much he should expect to get? I know that you should always reject the first offer they give you. O and his car was valued at <1000 on his insurance...

Cheers

When I first read this I read it as "My brother was totalled from behind by an 106 year old man". Suffice to say I was quite shocked how that would relate to insurance payouts, LOL.
Reply 6
You can sue for almost anything these days.

Claim that he needed the car to go to work, claim loss of earnings. Claim emotional distress, personal injury, etc etc. As he has already admitted liability this will be very easy.
Original post by TShadow383
**** you.

No, really, **** you.

Coolstorybro

p.s i've never claimed before and never will as like you but less aggressive and rude i do actually think it's wrong to falsely claim for anything.

Reply 8
Original post by JohnC2211
You can sue for almost anything these days.

Claim that he needed the car to go to work, claim loss of earnings. Claim emotional distress, personal injury, etc etc. As he has already admitted liability this will be very easy.

haha I wish =(

Was in an accident in august, guy accepted fault, his insurance accepted fault and paid out for my boyfriends car. Claiming whiplash and back pain and they haven't responded at all, so they've been served with court papers.

Was in an accident on friday as well and in agony again. fml.
Reply 9
Original post by The_Goose
haha I wish =(

Was in an accident in august, guy accepted fault, his insurance accepted fault and paid out for my boyfriends car. Claiming whiplash and back pain and they haven't responded at all, so they've been served with court papers.

Was in an accident on friday as well and in agony again. fml.

I hope you weren't driving in both of these accidents :wink: Hope you recover soon!

What I meant was they may not want to go to court, but it's easier and you're pretty much assured some damages if they have admitted liability.
Original post by JohnC2211
I hope you weren't driving in both of these accidents :wink: Hope you recover soon!

What I meant was they may not want to go to court, but it's easier and you're pretty much assured some damages if they have admitted liability.

I wasn't driving in either of them. And both times full liability was admitted by the other car driver at the scene. My presence in a car just seems to attract **** drivers
Your brother will have to submit a claim for out of pocket expenses to the other driver's insurance. This will include any excess he has to pay if he is claiming on his own insurance. If he has legal expenses cover included on his policy, then he should use this part of the cover to do this for him. Also bear in mind that if he pays his insurance on a monthly basis and the claim is made on his own policy, his insurers will deduct the balance of the rest of the year's premium from the settlement together with his excess (if he has one).

Out of pocket expenses will include any bus fares, taxi fares, hire car charges etc that he has incurred whilst his car has been off the road. He will have to be able to produce receipts or a list of the dates and journey's taken with the fares charged to back up his claim.

In the event that he did suffer injury in the accident he can also submit a claim for this including loss of earnings if appropriate. However do bear in mind that any claim made on this basis will be thoroughly investigated by the third party insurers to ensure that it is valid and not fraudulent. This will need to be evidenced by medical information from his own doctor and he will also likely have to submit to independent investigation on behalf of the third party insurers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending