The Student Room Group

Is it better to handwrite or computer type revision notes and why?

As the title, which one is better? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well it depends entirely on your situation. I haven't started uni yet. But from my notetaking experiences It would be difficult to type notes fast enough when the lecturer is speaking - Yet you can jot down notes faster.

Although if your a fast typist, I can say you can get away with it. But it depends on your personal preference?

Hope I've helped in a way :smile:
I've considered typing up notes but it's just harder and more time consuming.

Even though I type MUCH faster than I write, it's not ideal when trying to add diagrams, graphs or have little side notes pointing to certain sections etc. The layout is more difficult to achieve as well unless you just want a basic bland page covered with uniform text top to bottom.

The advantage is it's always readable (as opposed to my handwriting, some of which I can't read at times), it's secure as you can always print it out again and you can edit/correct them easily (no need for scribbles or tipp-ex)

I'll stick with hand writing :yep: Although you do get those digital pens and that special paper where it recognises everything you write and transforms it into a word document/pdf internally which you can transfer to your PC via usb.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Cinqueta

Definitely type. It's clearer,faster and Time saving :smile:
Reply 4
When making revision notes, I usually type them on a computer so that I can make them neater, and to make it easier to change them/re-order them afterwards. But of course the risk with this approach is that you can end up getting distracted when you're on your computer.
Reply 5
Original post by Panda Vinnie

I'll stick with hand writing :yep: Although you do get those digital pens and that special paper where it recognises everything you write and transforms it into a word document/pdf internally which you can transfer to your PC via usb.

what are the called are they expensive? :tongue:
if i type things, i tend not to remember them, when i write down things it stays in my head a little bit longer.

although i prefer to type.
Reply 7
You can revise by writing things out, drawing diagrams, pictures, tables etc. but for final compact notes typing is probably a better idea.
Reply 8

handwrite. I find I digest the information more as I'm writing, so you're revising more as you go along :smile: anytime I type notes on the computer, I learn nothing. I'm basically just writing what I see.

Plus when you handwrite, you tend to write the essentials to slow down hand cramp, whereas typing you end up adding a load of unneccessary detail you more than likely don't need.
Reply 9
I start typing my notes up and my hand accidently gets drifted and clicks on the internet icon :smile:....and thats the end of my revision :smile: So i normally write.
Original post by rachlala14
handwrite. I find I digest the information more as I'm writing, so you're revising more as you go along :smile: anytime I type notes on the computer, I learn nothing. I'm basically just writing what I see.

This. It doesn't go in when I type it out - which is frustrating because it's much quicker! :tongue:
Typing revision notes doesn't work for me. Maybe for essay subjects but it still takes longer to draw curves etc. for the subjects I do. Use Microsoft Onenote if you're keen on typing revision notes anyway.
(edited 13 years ago)

I always type mine because my handwriting is quite big and typing saves a lot of space, plus if something goes wrong I have it saved and can re-print it out!
Better to handwrite. Most people type much faster than they write, so the point you're taking down doesn't stay in your head as long and doesn't make an impression. Whereas if you write, you have to remember it for longer because it takes you longer to write out the words. If you type it just goes in and out because it's too quick.

Having said that though, type written notes are great to revise from!
Original post by MikeeyMon
Well it depends entirely on your situation. I haven't started uni yet. But from my notetaking experiences It would be difficult to type notes fast enough when the lecturer is speaking - Yet you can jot down notes faster.

Although if your a fast typist, I can say you can get away with it. But it depends on your personal preference?

Hope I've helped in a way :smile:

That's bull****.

If you can type properly it's much quicker to type than write. In a lecture I can type around 4500 words in 50 minutes and I am by far the fastest typer there, but the fastest writer would probably not be able to do half that.
I'd imagine you'd remember stuff more if you were to write it.

Because you're actually forming each letter with your hand. For typing you're just tapping away. I remember things I type a lot less than things I hand write.
I remember it better if I handwrite it. :dontknow: Also,I'm a really slow typist.
Reply 17
You should revise in the same manner you are going to take the exam, if the exam is handwritten, revise on paper, if the exam is typed, type it up :biggrin:

You'll build up muscle memory, and it'll just flow :P
I myself prefer to type,as Im a relatively fast typer,its neater and easier to store and it means that you can copy and paste notes somewhat. Im assuming we wont have much diagrams to copy,however its easy to do what I do now,which is to draw them in an excercise book,referencing to the work,and making the diagrams in word later on
Reply 19
I do both. I type up all my lecture notes, then print them off, annotate and highlight them etc. Then I write them all out onto revision cards and learn those. It seems to work for me, mostly.

Quick Reply