The Student Room Group

Help! My friend constantly talks about Skin Bleaching and nose surgery.. (black)

What should I do?
She's black and it's really embarrassing, it's like she doesn't want to be black. I don't want her to end up like Jicheal Mackson. (I changed the name because I feel like I'm being mean.. )

I can see where she's coming from though because dark skin is pretty much disliked, I mean most black people would prefer to have lighter mixed race shaded skin, but of course still be black, deny as much as you like but this is only because of the promotion of light skinned black women especially.

When is the media going to change because right now there are no black (not mixed raced) women in an attractive role, or the 'hot girl' role and it's obviously making black women feel unattractive and unpleased with how they are. It's pretty upsetting.

I'm not a troll, i'll pm you if you really want but I wanted to go anon, simply out of embarrasement, I guess it won't make sense though..

What should I say to my friend? I've already tried you beautiful the way you are..

Scroll to see replies

I don't really know what to suggest but this kind of **** really bothers me. Get her on the black nationalist vibe (the Black Panther type, not the Louis Farrakhan type)
Reply 2
Jichael Mackson? Who? :tongue:

I can sympathise. I had a friend who was insecure about her colour and it really used to piss us off as a group. She hated leaving school grounds in summer in case she tanned, never wore light colour tops to avoid looking "extra blick" and dressed like a lookbook.nu clone to distance herself from other black girls. She is okay now but it took all of sixth form to make her feel decent about herself. Mainly because she realised that her kids will still be black and that most bleaching products contain mercury or hydroquinone. Both of whom are carcinogenic and banned in Europe.

Two words: Ochronosis and keloid scarring.
I agree with you about the media... they do such ridiculous things which cause all this stuff. I heard that they "white up" Beyoncee in most of her promotional pictures to make her more attractive. Not sure how true that is though.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous

I can see where she's coming from though because dark skin is pretty much disliked, I mean most black people would prefer to have lighter

First of all: Kelly Rowland.

Secondly: Tell you're friend do what she wants, not like there aren't any ugly light skin girls

Bleaching won't fix her ugly face.
looooooooooool i love the fact that the OP put "(black)" in the title
Reply 6
Original post by The TSR Star.
looooooooooool i love the fact that the OP put "(black)" in the title

Seconded.
Tell her she'll be ugly regardless of what colour she is.
But white chicks are always trying to get darker?
Original post by linkdapink
I agree with you about the media... they do such ridiculous things which cause all this stuff. I heard that they "white up" Beyoncee in most of her promotional pictures to make her more attractive. Not sure how true that is though.

You sure about that ? I mean Beyonce and Jay-Z are both extremely proud of being black.

They are like one of the wealthiest couples around which means they will be calling all the shots on things like this.
This has got to be a troll. OP can you please PM me, I can offer you some advice.
Original post by babygirl110
This has got to be a troll. OP can you please PM me, I can offer you some advice.
Could be a troll but there are people like this and cosmetic skin bleaching does happen.
Original post by Left Hand Drive
But white chicks are always trying to get darker?

Some white people like to tan as they would rather look "exoctic" and "caramelly", like Chloe Maffia said she wanted to look on Snog Marry Avoid, but that's why some of them look orange.

To answer the OP's question, you should seriously tell your friend to be proud of her skin colour. I am black and yet it has never bothered me, although I see what you are saying about the media. Has she experienced racism? That might have something to dom with it. Maybe she is influenced too much by the media. Tbh even in this day and age sometimes a black person has to try ten times harder (i.e. in careers) like Naiomi Campbell. Also, skin lightening products are harmful and illegal. Tell her not to worry, everyone is beautiful in their own way.
Reply 13
Original post by Yawn11
First of all: Kelly Rowland.

Secondly: Tell you're friend do what she wants, not like there aren't any ugly light skin girls

Bleaching won't fix her ugly face.

Why would I call her ugly but you point is true.. and what about Kelly Rowland :s-smilie:.
Reply 14
Original post by Anonymous
What should I do?
She's black and it's really embarrassing, it's like she doesn't want to be black. I don't want her to end up like Jicheal Mackson. (I changed the name because I feel like I'm being mean.. )

I can see where she's coming from though because dark skin is pretty much disliked, I mean most black people would prefer to have lighter mixed race shaded skin, but of course still be black, deny as much as you like but this is only because of the promotion of light skinned black women especially.

When is the media going to change because right now there are no black (not mixed raced) women in an attractive role, or the 'hot girl' role and it's obviously making black women feel unattractive and unpleased with how they are. It's pretty upsetting.

I'm not a troll, i'll pm you if you really want but I wanted to go anon, simply out of embarrasement, I guess it won't make sense though..

What should I say to my friend? I've already tried you beautiful the way you are..

I'd say that you were an anonymous troll, making posts up to cause racial hatred and ignorance?

Why don't you worry about the non-Black people that wanted to kill Black people but are now getting lip enhancements and bum fillers to look exactly like them?

Why not focus on the pale people who take tanning tablets to look darker or the White people who lie around on the beach getting skin cancer to look Blacker than night?
Or perhaps you could focus on the White people who specifically sleep with darker people just to have darker babies?

They're more something to worry about.

Let your ''friend'' (if you even have any, troll) live her life.
Reply 15
What business is it of yours? You're her supposed 'friend', not her mentor. Grow up.
Original post by TheFlyingDutchman
You sure about that ? I mean Beyonce and Jay-Z are both extremely proud of being black.

They are like one of the wealthiest couples around which means they will be calling all the shots on things like this.

Beyoncee L'Oreal...

http://www.google.co.uk/images?rls=com.microsoft:en-gb:IE-SearchBox&oe=&redir_esc=&q=beyonce+L'oreal&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=1BMOTejnItSAhAf-3u23Dg&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CDMQsAQwAA&biw=1259&bih=644

Whiter than usual. She's "whited up" in a lot... and it happens to a lot of people. Just search beyoncee photoshop and there's a lot of evidence of this.
Reply 17
Tell her to start with anal bleaching and see if this is what she wants.
basically no one will ever be happy.
white people want to be more tanned, dark people want to be lighter etc.

eventually she'll learn to accept it as we all do/ will do.
Original post by KimKong
I'd say that you were an anonymous troll, making posts up to cause racial hatred and ignorance?

Why don't you worry about the non-Black people that wanted to kill Black people but are now getting lip enhancements and bum fillers to look exactly like them?

Why not focus on the pale people who take tanning tablets to look darker or the White people who lie around on the beach getting skin cancer to look Blacker than night?
Or perhaps you could focus on the White people who specifically sleep with darker people just to have darker babies?

They're more something to worry about.

Let your ''friend'' (if you even have any, troll) live her life.

Bold bit- my thoughts exactly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending