The Student Room Group

When did you become totally comfortable with your body?

Anon or delete please.

I know everyone has little criticisms about their body, but when did you (if at all) become totally comfortable your looks and body, on the whole? At what age? Did a particular event make you change the way your saw yourself?

I'm nearly 20 now and tbh I can't actually see myself ever being at ease with my body. In fact, the other day I actually realised that I'm actually very ugly. I've always been insecure, but I thought I was okay. I'm not.

No wonder this whole term I've had no male interest. And during my first year at uni, I only pulled 3 times - once a term ONS :rolleyes: Is it wrong to base how I feel about myself on guys?

I fake confidence and get away with it tbh, the only people that really know how insecure I am, are my closest friends and they were shocked when I told them how I really feel. They all thought I was qutie happy. My friends tell me that you do get to a point where you are happy in your own skin, but I can't see it happening to me now tbh.

I'm trying to lose weight to get down from a 12 to size 10; and to get more toned. I am blessed with good curves, but they need to be more toned. But my face is just tragic. What do I do? :frown:

Sorry for the long post?

Scroll to see replies

I haven't become comfortable with mine yet, I'm 20 too. I think you just have to come to the conclusion that you can change your body to a certain extent, but at the end of the day you have to be happy with what you've got- because you're not going to get anything else!
I was never uncomfortable with it.
As long as i remember i've been comfortable with my body.
Reply 4
I hate my body but I got to that point where I thought **** it, what is the point on obsessing about something that I really cannot change? I can waste my time on more important matters and make myself known instead of degrading my appearance. In other terms I 'manned up'
Never

There's a difference between being happy and confident about yourself.
I'm happy with my body but not confident.
Reply 6
I used to hate my body in the end of high school and 6th form and thought I was huge (despite being 5"3 and 8 stone XD ) something seemed to change in my head over 6th form though and I kinda realised I wasn't huge and so started eating properly healthily again instead of missing meals and weighing every day etc. etc.
I now weigh more but feel much much better about myself and am not all obsessive :smile:
Reply 7
I'm not 100% comfortable with it, but now I'm a lot more at ease with it since my boyfriend sees me naked regularly.
Reply 8
Um, I'm 20 aswell, and I've never been totally comfortable with myself, even though in general I like myself there are always things I wish I could change on me - like most girls I suppose. It's in our nature to feel insecure even if there's no real reason for it.
I never minded what I looked like until I was about 15-16. When I was 17 I tried to lose weight and I must admit I was confident at x stone but not at all healthy. Now I am 18 and although I would like to be skinnier and prettier, I am more confident mostly due to my boyfriend. I wish I could be confident without relying on other people but it's never gonna happen. To be honest I don't know where I went wrong with my self-esteem.
Never, even when I was 5'10 and size 6 I thought I was huge. I'm size 10 again, but trying to gain confidence through healthy eating and exericise instead :smile:
I think most people feel bad about their bodies... just something we all probably will grow out of :smile:
Reply 11
I was never particularly uncomfortable with it.
I personally found when you start getting naked for whatever reason you see lots of other bodies and realise that yours is no different, everyone has flaws, that was what did it for me.
im pretty much happy with my body
i would like to change things but sort of accept that i can't and am not really bothered
Reply 14
When I was 13
I'm not, and I'm 25. I'm really happy with some elements of my looks (tiny waist, hourglass figure, thick wavy hair) and am so glad I have those. I used to LOATHE everything about how I looked though, to the point of feeling ashamed every time I stepped outdoors. I was definitely overweight. Then I gained a boyfriend (now husband :biggrin:) and lost about two stone at university, and consequently have felt much happier for it. I still have some hang-ups about my looks - I hate my legs, and although I like my bum when I've got clothes on, I don't at all when naked - and I don't think I will ever feel totally comfortable with my body, but I certainly like it a lot more than I used to. I've gone from a size 16 to measurements of 35-26-36, and I'm proud of how much I've changed.
Reply 16
Never... I'm always trying to be that little bit skinnier, or always trying to change my appearance. I constantly worry :frown:
Original post by Linweth
I hate my body but I got to that point where I thought **** it, what is the point on obsessing about something that I really cannot change? I can waste my time on more important matters and make myself known instead of degrading my appearance. In other terms I 'manned up'

I wish other women were more like you :sad:
I'm 19, and although deep down I know I'm alright, there has never been a day where I have felt completely self-confident, no.

Judging yourself on how many times you pull? We all do it, but try not to. If you look around most of the girls 'pulling' wouldn't rate that highly, they seem to however have lost the ability to walk. :biggrin:
Reply 19
I will never be comfortable with it, I'm too much of a perfectionist.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending