The Student Room Group

Why is christmas celebrated on 25th?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mujahid_e3
Yes thats what i thought but aint it meant to be to mark the birth of Jesus??

The Romans brought Christianity (damn them) to England, and they wanted to wipe out the Pagans and basically remodel the UK's religious aspects. Since they cba with war after x years of being here, they tried the more peaceful method of making their religious celebrations closer to the Pagan celebrations (Winter Solstice).

Or something to that effect, anyway.
Reply 21
Original post by fran.ha
Winter Solstice/Pagan winter celebrations took place on the 25th so the Christian movement around Europe (I believe mainly the Romans who were very influential and also rather fanatical about Christianity) decided the celebration should be on the same day to 'outshine' the other celebrations.

yes now that kinda answers my question! Others just commenting its been done.... But would you say it marks the birth of jesus?
Reply 22
So that 1 week later we have another reason to get pissed.
Reply 23
Original post by HEJ92
Not really, it's a time to spend with family, have a couple of drinks to feel "merry" and just generally a time to relax.

And for those who are Christians - they use it to celebrate the birth of Jesus, and considering it is a "Christian Country" we should be allowed to keep it and publicise it as much as we want to :smile:

Just because he wasn't born on that day, it doesn't mean Christians can't celebrate it then, it was changed to the 25th December hundreds of years ago to match the Pagan's winter solstice or something.

Your response does kind of make sense and i agree on the part of being a family.. But why do people who dont believe in christianity or even jesus celebrate it?
Reply 24
Original post by Kew
But no-one knows the actual date of Christ's birth. If it was down in the historical record that he was born on September 8th (for example), then people would celebrate it on September 8th. As it is, this information hasn't survived so people celebrate it on a different day instead. It's what the day represents and commemorates that matters; the fact that it's on an arbitary date set in the 5th century is irrelevant.

I think you're just determined to carry on believing that Christians aren't sincere in their faith.

No i aint determined to carry on believing that Christians aren't sincere in their faith.

Its just like saying that people dont know when your birthday is but they just celebrate it any day? But would they actually feel something for you in their heart? Also why do people who dont even belive in christianity and jesus celebrate it?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 25
Your response does kind of make sense and i agree on the part of being a family.. But why do people who dont believe in christianity or even jesus celebrate it?

I'm converting to Judaism, but was Christened as C of E so I've had Christmas every year with my family, my family still celebrate it, and instead of just leaving me out, I'm celebrating it as a family occasion.

Also, my family don't really believe in Jesus, we just like to spend the time together as a family and have a special meal, a couple of glasses of wine and just really celebrate being a family and what that means to us.

So to answer your question, if you're in a country where Christmas is publicised (which it rightly should be), we should all spend the day relaxing, being with our family and/or friends and have a special meal or something.
Reply 26
Why do people celebrate christmas on 25th even though they know Jesus wasnt born on december 25th?? This dont really make sense and is a bit weird really. Just proves that people are not into religion and their faith, they just do what they want

And that's a bad thing?
Reply 27
Why do people celebrate christmas on 25th even though they know Jesus wasnt born on december 25th?? This dont really make sense and is a bit weird really. Just proves that people are not into religion and their faith, they just do what they want

If it were celebrated on any other day you'd be asking the same question. Get over it.
Reply 28
Original post by HEJ92
I'm converting to Judaism, but was Christened as C of E so I've had Christmas every year with my family, my family still celebrate it, and instead of just leaving me out, I'm celebrating it as a family occasion.

Also, my family don't really believe in Jesus, we just like to spend the time together as a family and have a special meal, a couple of glasses of wine and just really celebrate being a family and what that means to us.

So to answer your question, if you're in a country where Christmas is publicised (which it rightly should be), we should all spend the day relaxing, being with our family and/or friends and have a special meal or something.

To what you said, why cant you and your family just sit as a family any other day? Why on 25th?? This can be done anyday?

Please dont take this personally im just trying to make a point?
Original post by ajtiesto
It's just an excuse in this country to get drunk, shag strangers and stuff yourself with dirty mince pies. It's a waste of time and it should be banned imo. Pathetic really!

Same could be said about Islam from a non-Muslim. You don't do justice to that picture you have!
Reply 30
Not all countries celebrate Christmas on the 25th. In Scandinavia etc it's celebrated on the 24th. Known as "jul" (yule).

But yes, there is no proof of Jesus being born in December. Some say there is more proof of him being born in the spring.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by No Man
And that's a bad thing?

It wasnt meant to be a bad things? it was just trying to state why dont people celebrate it on actual day or another time??? Also why people who dont believe in jesus or christianity celebrate it? its like saying your not a buddhist but you celebrate the religious events!
Reply 32
Original post by Luceria
Not all countries celebrate Christmas on the 25th. In Scandinavia etc it's celebrated on the 24th. Known as "jul" (yule).

But yes, there is no proof of Jesus being born in December.

Thank you my friend
Reply 33
Original post by HEJ92
Not really, it's a time to spend with family, have a couple of drinks to feel "merry" and just generally a time to relax.

And for those who are Christians - they use it to celebrate the birth of Jesus, and considering it is a "Christian Country" we should be allowed to keep it and publicise it as much as we want to :smile:

Just because he wasn't born on that day, it doesn't mean Christians can't celebrate it then, it was changed to the 25th December hundreds of years ago to match the Pagan's winter solstice or something.

Oh I see. But when muslims, hindus, jews do that we get told to got back to our homeland. Like Eid for example, I was told I couldn't take a day off and it was my religious holiday so how do you explain that. That is why I think 25th December should be normal day imo because people of other faiths are not given the time off and treated very unfairly.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 34
Original post by Cinqueta
If it were celebrated on any other day you'd be asking the same question. Get over it.

Actually i wouldnt because it would make sense if they celebrate it on a date that is actual or even close..
Reply 35
Original post by Gemma :)!
It's a celebration of Jesus being born, which happens every year, despite there being evidence that He was actually born at some point during April. But it's more a time for reflection about Jesus and God than an exact representation of His birth, to be honest.

April? Blast, my calculations were wrong - I got March! Aah, well, I was only a month out :smile:

Anyway, it's irrelevant. Christmas is of secondary importance compared to Easter, which was the culmination of God's Plan.
Reply 36
Actually i wouldnt because it would make sense if they celebrate it on a date that is actual or even close..

December 25th was picked by the Church. It was favorable as it occurred around the event of Winter Solstice, and thus made it easier to convert Pagans to Christianity who were used to celebrating the Yule Festival.
Reply 37
Original post by boromir9111
Same could be said about Islam from a non-Muslim. You don't do justice to that picture you have!

What picture?

I'm a very proud muslim and there is nothing you or anybody else can do about it.
Reply 38
To what you said, why cant you and your family just sit as a family any other day? Why on 25th?? This can be done anyday?

Please dont take this personally im just trying to make a point?

I understand your point, and agree, why not do it any other day? TBH, this day has become special and means something to my family and I. I don't think I'd want to have this special day on any other day, and I think that is what it has become to others because for centuries it has been made into something special, and for children - magical.
Reply 39
Original post by Tootles
April? Blast, my calculations were wrong - I got March! Aah, well, I was only a month out :smile:

Anyway, it's irrelevant. Christmas is of secondary importance compared to Easter, which was the culmination of God's Plan.

You actually make sense compared to others!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending