The Student Room Group

Why is christmas celebrated on 25th?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by HEJ92
I understand your point, and agree, why not do it any other day? TBH, this day has become special and means something to my family and I. I don't think I'd want to have this special day on any other day, and I think that is what it has become to others because for centuries it has been made into something special, and for children - magical.

Ok yeah i understand were your coming from. But what i asked in the opening post is that why do people who dont even believe in jesus or even christianity celebrate it?
Reply 41
Original post by ajtiesto
It's just an excuse in this country to get drunk, shag strangers and stuff yourself with dirty mince pies. It's a waste of time and it should be banned imo. Pathetic really!

Christmas is celebrated as the birth of Christ's mass, and in most Christian countries therefore represents happiness in its' tradition, and is about family and relatives. The centrepiece social occasion is based around a turkey dinner, not alcohol.

Christmas has also been marketed and adapted into a very important time in the economic calendar, as people often buy presents as symbols of happiness for their family and friends. This practice generates millions upon millions of pounds for businesses worldwide.

Other relevant social occasions are Christmas parties which ironically are also celebrated with your friends and work colleagues, not strangers. I can't see anything to do with strangers, or a dependency on alcohol playing a key part in the holiday. I'm not going to bother with your mince pies are filth tripe.

Having taken your trolling seriously, please gtfo.
I'd also like you to know that almost every post I've read of yours over the last year or so makes me want to harm someone.
Reply 42
Original post by mujahid_e3
Ok yeah i understand were your coming from. But what i asked in the opening post is that why do people who dont even believe in jesus or even christianity celebrate it?

Most people who don't follow a religion love the chance to have a party for the sake of having a party, Christmas lets you do that. Everyone wants a day off work and everyone is given a day off work for Christmas; everybody wins. The message of Christmas is "Peace and good will to all men", people don't need to believe in Christianity to be charitable around Christmas time or to make a fresh start with people they have done wrong against during the year.
Reply 43
Original post by Cinqueta
Most people who don't follow a religion love the chance to have a party for the sake of having a party, Christmas lets you do that. Everyone wants a day off work and everyone is given a day off work for Christmas; everybody wins. The message of Christmas is "Peace and good will to all men", people don't need to believe in Christianity to be charitable around Christmas time or to make a fresh start with people they have done wrong against during the year.

The point is to celebrate the birth of Jesus not to have a party??
Reply 44

The gift-giving part of Christmas just got identified as a potential economic gold mine. And so it became that through marketing and branding. Christmas generates millions for the economy. While the root of the holiday is a religious celebration, it's intention is to spread happiness and goodwill through the aforementioned joyous religious event and gift giving. Do you have to be religious to be happy?
(edited 13 years ago)
What picture?

I'm a very proud muslim and there is nothing you or anybody else can do about it.

The first Kalimah you have! some people actually believe in the holiday and it's wrong to openly bash their beliefs as that isn't the proper Islamic way in my opinion......rather be more approachable about it! then you might find, they won't dismiss your beliefs in the future, hopefully. Only through your character can you do Da'wah!
Reply 46
What really strikes about Christmas is that given it's a religious holiday, you don't see a single person going to their local church giving thanks or asking for forgiveness as you normally would. Instead people are too busy buying the latest Top Gear DVD and Cliff Richard CDs and stuffing their trolleys in Morrisons. Come to think of it, I was looking at my Facebook the other day and the number of non Christians (mainly Hindus and Sikhs) who were celebrating it by showing their trees etc, really calls into question whether these people or people in general see it as a religious holiday any more.

Most likely because of the commercial factor. Every year Christmas gets more and more commercial and I think it's just about presents for some people.
Reply 48
Oh I see. But when muslims, hindus, jews do that we get told to got back to our homeland. Like Eid for example, I was told I couldn't take a day off and it was my religious holiday so how do you explain that. That is why I think 25th December should be normal day imo because people of other faiths are not given the time off and treated very unfairly.

That's not my problem, that's between you and your place of work so don't take it out on the UK.

And other religious festivals can and should be celebrated freely, just not made a public holiday. You're not going to be put in prison if you have a menorah in the window during Hanukkah, or if you have fireworks in your garden for Diwali..
Reply 49
Christmas Eve is the 24th, hence it'd be silly to celebrate Christmas day on any day but the 25th.
Reply 50
Original post by WhuTom
Christmas is celebrated as the birth of Christ's mass, and in most Christian countries therefore represents happiness in its' tradition, and is about family and relatives. The centrepiece social occasion is based around a turkey dinner, not alcohol.

Christmas has also been marketed and adapted into a very important time in the economic calendar, as people often buy presents as symbols of happiness for their family and friends. This practice generates millions upon millions of pounds for businesses worldwide.

Other relevant social occasions are Christmas parties which ironically are also celebrated with your friends and work colleagues, not strangers. I can't see anything to do with strangers, or a dependency on alcohol playing a key part in the holiday. I'm not going to bother with your mince pies are filth tripe.

Having taken your trolling seriously, please gtfo.
I'd also like you to know that almost every post I've read of yours over the last year or so makes me want to harm someone.

Yeah that's the thing, there are people of different faiths in this country but yet their holidays are restricted. When people take days off if they're lucky from their workpace in order to celebrate their religious holiday, questions are asked like oh why don't they leave the country and celebrate it there. My country is getting taken over, this country isn't the same anymore, why don't they integrate into British society. There is no consideration for people of other faiths in this country, in particular muslims when it comes to making allowances in order to celebrate their religious holiday.
Reply 51

Because its a public holiday, you might as well join in the festivities in your own way, even for Muslims, Jews, etc.. it can be a day to bring yourself closer to God.
Reply 52
Original post by HEJ92
Because its a public holiday, you might as well join in the festivities in your own way, even for Muslims, Jews, etc.. it can be a day to bring yourself closer to God.

so what your trying to say is you celebrate because its a public holiday?? That shouldnt be the point? So for e.g if his birthday was confirmed to be on the 11th of june and its not a public holiday, your saying you wont celebrate.. Muslims pray everyday they dont need a specific day to come close to god!
Reply 53
OK, winter solstice (shortest day of the year) is on the 21st or 22nd December (21st this year). Old pre-Christian festival of the rebirth of the sun (in many difference cultures). The Romans also had a festival on the 25th December to celebrate Sol Invictus (the sun god pretty much.) Jesus = Light of the World. You see where I'm going with this?

Sol Invictus was actually worshipped pretty late in the Roman Empire (somewhere in the late AD200s), but Saturnalia was an earlier Roman festival (started sometime in the 200sBC) and that was a festival towards the end of December.

But yeah, rather than try to force a whole new religion with new festivals, it was just easier for the Christians to amalgamate it with pre-existing festivals. Simples
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 54
Original post by boromir9111
The first Kalimah you have! some people actually believe in the holiday and it's wrong to openly bash their beliefs as that isn't the proper Islamic way in my opinion......rather be more approachable about it! then you might find, they won't dismiss your beliefs in the future, hopefully. Only through your character can you do Da'wah!

I'm not bashing their beliefs. I'm just pointing out that other religious holidays like Eid for example are not given enough consideration for people who wish to take a day off. If people in this country are allowed to take 2 weeks off to eat their turkeys, drink themselves silly, run around and playing stupid games then why can't muslims have just one day to celebrate our religious festival or other religious festivals. Islam is the 2nd most practiced religion in the UK yet no allowances are made for us during ramadan, eid and other religious occassions.
Reply 55
Original post by Hravan
OK, winter solstice (shortest day of the year) is on the 21st or 22nd December (21st this year). Old pre-Christian festival of the rebirth of the sun (in many difference cultures). The Romans also had a festival on the 25th December to celebrate Sol Invictus (the sun god pretty much.) Jesus = Light of the World. You see where I'm going with this?

Sol Invictus was actually worshipped pretty late in the Roman Empire (somewhere in the late AD200s), but Saturnalia was an earlier Roman festival (started sometime in the 200sBC) and that was a festival towards the end of December.

But yeah, rather than try to force a whole new religion with new festivals, it was just easier for the Christians to amalgamate it with pre-existing festivals. Simples

Yes, but its irrelevant because its actually meant to be a day to celebrate the birth of jesus!
I'm not bashing their beliefs. I'm just pointing out that other religious holidays like Eid for example are not given enough consideration for people who wish to take a day off. If people in this country are allowed to take 2 weeks off to eat their turkeys, drink themselves silly, run around and playing stupid games then why can't muslims have just one day to celebrate our religious festival or other religious festivals. Islam is the 2nd most practiced religion in the UK yet no allowances are made for us during ramadan, eid and other religious occassions.

Where does it say in the Sharia that we should take 2 weeks off? As a Muslim, for any law we follow that! we live in the UK, it's their laws and you should follow them!
Reply 57
Original post by HEJ92
That's not my problem, that's between you and your place of work so don't take it out on the UK.

And other religious festivals can and should be celebrated freely, just not made a public holiday. You're not going to be put in prison if you have a menorah in the window during Hanukkah, or if you have fireworks in your garden for Diwali..

That's the thing religious festivals are not celebrated freely because there are restrictions imposed like the number of days your allowed to take off work, school etc.

Plus for your infomation, my mates and I were stopped by police on Eid for having an Islamic flag attached to the car. They stopped us under terrorism act and was told to remove the flag which really pissed me off.
Reply 58
so what your trying to say is you celebrate because its a public holiday?? That shouldnt be the point? So for e.g if his birthday was confirmed to be on the 11th of june and its not a public holiday, your saying you wont celebrate.. Muslims pray everyday they dont need a specific day to come close to god!

No you've completely misunderstood what I'm saying. If you've been given the time off work, you may as well use the time to do something for yourself and your family, everybody else is spending the day at home with their family so you might as well do the same.

Also, yes Muslims pray every day and feel close to God, but you can do something else for yourself to make YOU feel closer to God as an individual, not just as a Muslim.
Reply 59
That's the thing religious festivals are not celebrated freely because there are restrictions imposed like the number of days your allowed to take off work, school etc.

Plus for your infomation, my mates and I were stopped by police on Eid for having an Islamic flag attached to the car. They stopped us under terrorism act and was told to remove the flag which really pissed me off.

Why did you have a flag attached to the car in the first place? That is not how eid is meant to be celebrated!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending