The Student Room Group

A question of belief (In God)

This poll is closed

Is life random?

Yes 50%
No50%
Total votes: 2
Do you think life is random?

I think that if you believe in God you should believe life is not random (everything happens for a reason.

However if you believe in Science ... (like evolution) you must believe that life is random.

U?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by jkjkjk

Original post by jkjkjk

I think that if you believe in God you should believe life is not random (everything happens for a reason.

However if you believe in Science ... (like evolution) you must believe that life is random.

U?

Thanks

Why does evolution mean life is random?
Craving a doughnut and then being offered one 5 minutes later is not random.
Random? Wut?
I believe that God predetermines a lot of the randomness in the universe. Evolution, for example, I believe was guided by God in his design of the universe so that the first life form would evolve and develop into the diversity of life we have today. I believe that a lot of things don't happen for a reason, as I believe that humans have a reasonable amount of free will, which is one random element I think that God chooses to have little influence over. Therefore, anything that is caused by humans is not necessarily part of God's or anybody's plan.
What do you mean by "believe in science"?
Reply 6
Original post by Aula

Because evolution is all to do with random changes to DNA (mutation) which cause random changes to physiology

This could change the way you think + feel .......

what I was trying to get at is if you believe in God then that means you believe that God is controlling it therefore it cannot be random as some thing is predetermining your future

Obviously you may believe it is God who made evolution but then you mean that it is not random as 1. he created it and 2. he is probably controlling it
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by thedepressedchild
Craving a doughnut and then being offered one 5 minutes later is not random.

I don't see the relevents, Do you believe in God
Reply 8
Original post by tazarooni89
What do you mean by "believe in science"?

Sorry about that I just tried to think of anything to call it but what I really meant is you don't believe there is something on a higher plane of existance (God) that is predetermining you future
Reply 9
Original post by Rob da Mop
I believe that God predetermines a lot of the randomness in the universe. Evolution, for example, I believe was guided by God in his design of the universe so that the first life form would evolve and develop into the diversity of life we have today. I believe that a lot of things don't happen for a reason, as I believe that humans have a reasonable amount of free will, which is one random element I think that God chooses to have little influence over. Therefore, anything that is caused by humans is not necessarily part of God's or anybody's plan.

Intresting but to say that then God maybe isn't All knowing in your mind?
Reply 10
Original post by jkjkjk

Original post by jkjkjk
Because evolution is all to do with random changes to DNA (mutation) which cause random changes to physiology

This could change the way you think + feel .......

what I was trying to get at is if you believe in God then that means you believe that God is controlling it therefore it cannot be random as some thing is predetermining your future

Obviously you may believe it is God who made evolution but then you mean that it is not random as 1. he created it and 2. he is probably controlling it

Well exactly. It is perfectly possible to believe in both God and evolution. Put in the word 'only' before science in your OP and your question will be a lot better.
Is evolution random? The mutations in the DNA that can lead to advantageous characteristics are indeed random. But the process of natural selection is not random at all. It selects those that are more likely to survive and produce offspring. That in itself is not a random process.

It is possible to believe in a God without haveing to believe in fate. It's called Deism.
Reply 12
Mutation is random (to an extent)
Evolution is a mixture of random (genetic drift) and non-random (natural selection).
Reply 13
Original post by IFondledAGibbon
Is evolution random? The mutations in the DNA that can lead to advantageous characteristics are indeed random. But the process of natural selection is not random at all. It selects those that are more likely to survive and produce offspring. That in itself is not a random process.

Actually, it is."Natural Selection" is random (otherwise we would have found a physical law expressing it). What make a particular organism to thrive is the conjunction of 1) a particular random mutation and 2) a particular environment (random as well). It's only when an environment changes that a particular mutation can give an advantage to an organism. Environments, like the weather, arise randomly.
There are only 3 choices: either something is random, or it is not. If it's not random then it's a natural physical law or it's designed by someone. Evolution is not a physical law. By definition, it is not designed, therefore it's random. Simple.
Reply 14
Original post by Aula
Well exactly. It is perfectly possible to believe in both God and evolution.

But then, what's the point? If God didn't create mankind, what legitimacy can he have?
Reply 15
Original post by Mannix99
Actually, it is."Natural Selection" is random (otherwise we would have found a physical law expressing it). What make a particular organism to thrive is the conjunction of 1) a particular random mutation and 2) a particular environment (random as well). It's only when an environment changes that a particular mutation can give an advantage to an organism. Environments, like the weather, arise randomly.
There are only 3 choices: either something is random, or it is not. If it's not random then it's a natural physical law or it's designed by someone. Evolution is not a physical law. By definition, it is not designed, therefore it's random. Simple.

Although you can say the 'starting materials' of natural selection are random (mutation, the environment - although neither of these are completely random), the process itself, as the name 'selection' implies, is entirely non-random.

If I put 100 people into a room full of poison gas and randomly give one of them an antidote, it is NOT random which one survives.
Reply 16
Original post by BioSam
Although you can say the 'starting materials' of natural selection are random (mutation, the environment - although neither of these are completely random), the process itself, as the name 'selection' implies, is entirely non-random.

If I put 100 people into a room full of poison gas and randomly give one of them an antidote, it is NOT random which one survives.

Well, you're playing with words.
To say that evolution is not random because of the natural selection is like saying that to play the lottery is not random because someone has picked up the right numbers...
Reply 17
Original post by Aula

i second that. as far as science understands it, evolution is caused by random mutations. but what if mutations aren't random? what if they are intentional of a superior being aka God? makes you think...
Reply 18
Original post by jkjkjk

U?

Thanks

this is a dumb ass question and statement. evolution doesn't mean life is random and if you believe in science you can also believe in God. and why do you care what other people think? who cares. if people cared less there would be less argument over this world wide.
Reply 19
Original post by BioSam

i see what you mean. it's kinda the idea of 'fate' if i'm not wrong. as in what's meant to happen to a person will happen.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending