The Student Room Group

How many pressies do your parents give you?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I usually just ask for some money to get me through uni, so I dont get many presents, usually just a few stocking fillers. =] thats more than enough for me, I can't believe you get 30/40...count yourself as lucky!
Original post by Gemma :)!
Well this year I'm getting 36.. but last year I got 37, so I'm MAJORLY peeved.

Dudley? :lol:

I'm not like Dudley people! Jeeez, it's not like i'm not grateful, i'm grateful for anything I receive!
Original post by CookieDoughLove
So i've been talking to a few people (teens like myself (19), and they say on average at Christmas they get like 10-12 gifts from the parents Which i'm a little shocked at, because I usually get between 30 and 40 (I thought this was normal) :confused:

So are they just not as spoilt, or is it about normal?

How many do you guys get? I'm curious now! It's not something I considered before.

this reminds me of my cousins. they're considerably poorer than us, but they always get a ****load more presents than my sister and i do on christmas. apparently, when i was younger we went to their house and they had a ton of presents while my sister and i got about 20 apiece and we thought we'd been bad and that santa didn't like us.

so, when i was a kid, about 20 presents.

now that i'm older, about 10 max. but, the stuff i get now is usually a lot more expensive.
1 bigger present, or some spending money enough for a few new clothes, plus 3-4 dvd's/cd's/books etc. I always felt so lucky to get that from my parents, you guys getting 30-40 gifts don't see how spoilt you are. Not trying to be judgemental i just hope you're so grateful to them!
Reply 44
I don't count but I generally get what I need, so if it is only a few things it doesn't bother me as I need them thus will use them. I know this year I have got a netbook though as I need that and I'm buying myself the entire boxset of Battlestar Galactica with the rest of my Christmas money so I'm happy with that :biggrin:
just the one and i bought it myself.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Subcutaneous
Why would someone get more presents because they're a child?!

Because presents for children are cheaper! :smile: Eg, giant fire engine £20, puzzles £5, so parents could buy a lot for say a £200 budget!

I'm not like Dudley people! Jeeez, it's not like i'm not grateful, i'm grateful for anything I receive!

Sorry lol I was trying to be clever.. totally missed that the first reply had that clip in it. Dayum.
Reply 48
what kind of presents are you talking about? forty all-singing, all-dancing presents or forty rejects from argos?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 49

Oh really? :sexface:
Because presents for children are cheaper! :smile: Eg, giant fire engine £20, puzzles £5, so parents could buy a lot for say a £200 budget!

And it all comes down to money does it? Says an awful lot about you.
Original post by chemical_bex
It's always been that way. One big thing and a couple of wee things. Is that 30 - 40 small things?

You must have wealthy parents :colondollar:

Not really. My Dad is a single parent who works as a porter in a hospital, so no posh job or anything. I think he budgets £600-£700 a year.

It depends what I ask for to be honest. I usually have 1 or 2 more expensive gifts (200 on average each), and then little things (dvds, clothes) you get the picture.
Original post by Subcutaneous
And it all comes down to money does it? Says an awful lot about you.

Um no, you just asked how would a child get more at Christmas and i'm saying. People tend to budget at Christmas, therefore for children naturally the budget would stretch a bit further.
Reply 53
I think it kind of depends on what presents you're getting. I bought my girlfriend around 30 presents for Christmas, however the value of them all is around £200. I could easily buy her 4 presents spending £200, or 1 even!

You sound a bit like Dudley from Harry Potter with his Birthday presents, lol.....
Reply 54
30-40 is a lot :erm: I don't really know for me, I don't really count. I guess I get about 10 from my mum. My dad usually gets me 1 thing, except when he was married and then I got about 5 because his wife bought me loads of little things (he doesn't really know how to buy little things cos for him big expensive gift = best gift)
Reply 55
DA ****? 600-700 quid lol. mate, i'd settle for one of those white terry's chocolate oranges. what is the point of xmas? my kids will not be getting any presents. scrooge this **** up
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Kreuzuerk
what kind of presents are you talking about? forty all-singing, all-dancing presents or forty rejects from argos?

Singing and dancing? :eek: Um, depends. I get decent stuff if that's what you mean. But that doesn't mean I don't ask for cheap things too :s-smilie:
We usually get around 20-30 but mum always says 'I'm not going mad with presents this year' but always does anyway. She loves seeing us open 'surprise' pressies.

We get our parents around 10-15 each, depending on what they've asked for!

I usually go halves on my main present with my parents if it's something excessive. This year I went halves on a pair of Chanel earrings.

My 28 year old sister however, loves hundreds of silly presents from cheap shops as well as stuff for her kitchen, so she gets lots of 'little' things to open whereas I prefer quality over quantity.

I'm so excited about my mum's christmas this year. She's going to be so happy with what we've got her :smile: Eeeep!
Original post by G8D
I get a few 'main' presents (10 max if they are of less value but I want them quite badly) and then 20-30 pointless things in a stocking.

Surely a better thing to ask would be the average amount spent as quantity doesn't really convey... anything...?

Maybe so, but what I seen on another forum was people talking in amounts of gifts, so thought I would ask the same on here. Of course people are welcome to say how much though if that gives a better picture!
Reply 59

Quick Reply