The Student Room Group

Anyone hate the coalition as much as I do?

Hiya,

I was just wondering if anyone hates the coalition and their policies like me? I don't like how they're implementing harsh funding cuts across the public sector without an apparent care in the world that 1000's of people are losing their jobs.

They don't care that their education policy is going to deter a lot of students from going to university because they will not want to be saddled with debt nor can they afford to pay back that ridiculous sum of money.

They don't care that EMA cuts will result in a poorer quality of life and will encourage people to drop out of college and sixth form to take up work at the age of 16.

They have no grasp of how the working man lives. 18 members of the cabinet are millionaires. How do millionaires know how the majority working class group think and live. They've been brought up in relative luxuary.

I just find it ironic that we working class people should be lectured on how government policy on how it will affect the working class when I can't think of a single working class person in the government!

Furthermore, isn't it the case that the Coalition government are doing what is best just for their respective social classes (middle and upper class)?

This ultimately leads to the question: "Why do working class people vote for the Tories and liberal democrats?". I cannot believe people are dumb enough to vote for them after how badly we working class people were screwed over by Margaret Thatcher.

What do you guys think?
Also read this: http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100523145633AAr7arQ - i agree with the best answer...Tories ruined our country, so they have no right dictating to the opposition how they ****ed up the country cos what the tories did was worse!
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by blue_shift86
Hiya,

I was just wondering if anyone hates the coalition and their policies like me? I don't like how they're implementing harsh funding cuts across the public sector without an apparent care in the world that 1000's of people are losing their jobs.

Cuts have to be made somewhere

They don't care that their education policy is going to deter a lot of students from going to university because they will not want to be saddled with debt nor can they afford to pay back that ridiculous sum of money.

Complete bull go research the new system you clearly do not understand it

They don't care that EMA cuts will result in a poorer quality of life and will encourage people to drop out of college and sixth form to take up work at the age of 16.

Surely if you can afford to get to school you can afford to get to college? New targeted support is going to be brought in for the poorest of students, the government has also accepted that many people were not using EMA for the right reasons.

They have no grasp of how the working man lives. 18 members of the cabinet are millionaires. How do millionaires know how the majority working class group think and live. They've been brought up in relative luxuary.

Typical generalisation and thus meaningless

I just find it ironic that we working class people should be lectured on how government policy on how it will affect the working class when I can't think of a single working class person in the government!

Why would that make a difference?

Furthermore, isn't it the case that the Coalition government are doing what is best just for their respective social classes (middle and upper class)?

No most of the burden is going to fall on the middle class

This ultimately leads to the question: "Why do working class people vote for the Tories and liberal democrats?". I cannot believe people are dumb enough to vote for them after how badly we working class people were screwed over by Margaret Thatcher.

What do you guys think?
Also read this: http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100523145633AAr7arQ - i agree with the best answer...Tories ruined our country, so they have no right dictating to the opposition how they ****ed up the country cos what the tories did was worse!

The country disagree's with your views. It was because of Thatcher's policy that the country went into a boom that Labour enjoyed so much.

The opposition should not even be described as opposition currently as their main aim seems to be to crisise the government constantly without offering a single policy on anything.
Reply 2

x

At a guess, Teveth?
(edited 13 years ago)
:facepalm:

This post makes Teveth's comments look constructive to the centre-left's cause....

I'll just take this opportunity to point out that users like OP do not represent the views of me or any other Labour supporters that I know... kthxbai
Reply 4

Whilst this is true, what would Labour be doing that is any better? All parties remained pretty tightlipped before the election on cuts, so voting for any party is an uneducated choice with few facts to base a decision on. It's was said many times that whoever wins the election won't win the next time round because the cuts would turn anyone off voting for them again... and that's exactly what's happening. Voting for Labour wouldn't have been much different, maybe a few less public services cuts, but that's about it.

The opposition love to say they'd do everything better, but it's all in hindsight. Maybe if they were more honest about their manifestos BEFORE the elections then voters would be more trusting of any of the three main parties. As it is, I think they're all as bad as each other - People can bitch about how evil the tories are all they like, but it looks like we'll be stuck in the tories/labour/tories/labour rotation for quite a few years to come. The trashing of Lib Dems is exactly what the Tories want to keep the competition down.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5

Enlighten us then. Where would you make the cuts needed?
Reply 6
Original post by Arbolus
Enlighten us then. Where would you make the cuts needed?

Have you seriously not seen the plethora of workable alternatives (with costing) before?

There's many, many of them on the website from credible sources. Don't ask such a predictable question...go have a look for yourself.
Reply 7
Original post by yawn
Have you seriously not seen the plethora of workable alternatives (with costing) before?

There's many, many of them on the website from credible sources. Don't ask such a predictable question...go have a look for yourself.

Actually no I haven't. I've had a look and there's nothing on TSR. Only alternatives I've seen were on the Guardian website, written by a man who has always been anti-Tory regardless of whether or not they were doing a good job, so I can't rely on him to be accurate.

So I'll have to come up with some alternatives of my own. I'll try and have a few possibilities by tomorrow.
Reply 8
Original post by Arbolus
Actually no I haven't. I've had a look and there's nothing on TSR. Only alternatives I've seen were on the Guardian website, written by a man who has always been anti-Tory regardless of whether or not they were doing a good job, so I can't rely on him to be accurate.

So I'll have to come up with some alternatives of my own. I'll try and have a few possibilities by tomorrow.

There is something on TSR
: I posted this on the 'Disabled Man attacked by Police' - post #78

yawn
We need a long-term deficit reduction plan...and here are some ideas of how to achieve it without targetting the less advantaged overly, as the coalition are intent on doing.

The way to do this is not by cutting jobs, benefits and services but by tackling real waste and making tax fairer.

Making tax fair
Significant sums could be raised without affecting the incomes of the majority if we made sure the financial sector and the super-rich paid a fairer share. For example: £4.7bn could be raised every year by introducing a 50% tax rate on incomes over £100,000.
£5bn could be raised every year with an Empty Property Tax on vacant dwellings which exacerbate housing shortages and harm neighbourhoods
£10bn could be raised every year by reforming tax havens and residence rules to reduce tax avoidance by corporations and "non-domiciled? residents
£14.9bn could be raised every year by using minimum tax rates to stop reliefs being used to disproportionately subsidise incomes over £100,000.
£20-30bn could be raised every year by introducing a Major Financial Transactions Tax (or "Robin Hood Tax?) on UK financial institutions
Estimates of the long-term net cost of the bank bailouts have been estimated at £20-50bn (HM Treasury) to £120bn (IMF) (24). This money must be paid back in full.

Cutting real waste
Contrary to recent media attacks, public service productivity has improved every year since 2003. Trade unions play a key role in ensuring staff are treated fairly and involved in making improvements research indicates that this already saves the taxpayer as much as £3.6bn a year in productivity gains.
There are other ways we make sure public money is used effectively. For example:
£500m could be saved every year by adopting measures to improve the health and well-being of NHS staff, thereby reducing sickness absence.
£1bn could be saved every year by halving the local government agency bill, as has been achieved by high performing councils.
£1bn could be saved every year by eradicating healthcare acquired infections
from the NHS the extra cleaners would cost half this.
£2.8bn could be saved every year by ending the central government
use of private consultants who bring little discernable benefit
£3bn could be saved in user fees and interest charges every year if
PFI schemes were replaced with conventional public procurement
£76bn could be saved over 40 years by cancelling Trident

Regardless of the political alliances of the author, the savings have been costed by economists who don't seek to promote any political party. They are just doing what they usually do...comparisons in savings.
I feel uneasy with a coalition. I would have much preferred a one party government in the Tories even though I voted Labour.

I wouldn't say I hate them. I understand the frustrations by those who voted Lib Dems completely.

A lot of the policies I agree on, just the areas of the cuts I don't agree with.
Reply 10
I agree - the cuts are driven by ideology rather than necessity.
Reply 11
Original post by d123
I agree - the cuts are driven by ideology rather than necessity.

There is no 'necessity' in politics: the government could happily not exist and let us return to being hunter-gatherers. Government has no 'necessary' purpose, except that which is given to it by ideology.

And you're damn right we're ideological. Everything a politician does is ideological and the Coalition's ideology is to enhance our economically and socially liberal capitalist society. Best of luck to them, because it's the noblest cause on earth.
Reply 12
these cuts are awesome,anarchy minarchy for the UK! ;P
Reply 13
I cant believe how much I hate this coalition government. I think its time to take a leaf out of the French book and the whole country come out and show the true feelings of what they are doing. Hats off to all the student bodies who have walked the streets in protest. Its about time the rest of the country did the same and stood behind the students. Someone needs to organise a mass walkout by all who do not agree with what they are doing.
Reply 14
Hiya,

What do you guys think?

They also cut child tax credits. I think that's the most shameful thing they did last year. I know trebling the tuition fees was particularly sick, but what was utterly vile was touching child tax credits. By saying if one partner in a married household earns over 40K then you're not entitled to child tax credits, then you're effectively introducing the preference for marriage in the sphere of tax breaks; I think that's deplorable. Not to mention governments should invest in babies from the earliest age right the way through their university education.

This coalition is sick.
Reply 15
Original post by lesbionic
They also cut child tax credits. I think that's the most shameful thing they did last year. I know trebling the tuition fees was particularly sick, but what was utterly vile was touching child tax credits. By saying if one partner in a married household earns over 40K then you're not entitled to child tax credits, then you're effectively introducing the preference for marriage in the sphere of tax breaks; I think that's deplorable. Not to mention governments should invest in babies from the earliest age right the way through their university education.

This coalition is sick.

totally with you! :smile: +ve rep
Reply 16
EDUCATION required.

1. 80% of what the Coalition is doing was either in Labour manifesto or stated preference in the media.

2. Alistair Darling, the Labour chancellor, promised eye watering cuts that would make Thatcher look wet.

3. There is no alternative, no matter what the most cretinous newspapers (Guardian) desperately cling to. Nobody's listening.
i just despise every essence of nick clegg.
Reply 18
Yep, hate it.

Conservatives joining forces with the Lib Dems is like an elitist joining with a common tramp.

I wish death upon all those short-sighted bitches and whores who voted for the Lib Dems in the blind hope that they will fulfil their promises. The votes of commoners are so easy to buy with lies, poor people believe anything.

Poor people should be banned from voting.
Reply 19
Be fair Labour's rediculous spending couldn't have continued without massive repreciussions. We would have lost our AAA credit rating and our sovereign debt levels would have skyrocketed. The UK is a service-based economy so I'm confident that the private sector will catch up. Labour would have increased National Insurance tax which would have hit poor people even harder than the VAT rise.

The only things that are really angering me are the Lib Dem's ridiculous betrayal of their principles and the restructuring of the NHS by the Conservatives without any prior consent in their manifesto.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending