The Student Room Group

How many pressies do your parents give you?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sakura-Chan
Me and my brother usually get 5-10 presents, and some cash, usually between £150 and £250 depending what presents we get/how much they've spent already.

What sort of stuff do you get? And is it always stuff that you want/like, or stuff that you open, say thanks and then put in a cupboard and don't see it again for years? Just wondering :smile:

Nah, about 90% of the stuff is things i've for. So like dressing gown, slippers, pjs, dvds (i'm a huge dvd lover), um clothes (which i've chosen), perfume (which i've chosen), then things like uggs, straighteners, jewelry, charms, calendar, it's all things i've picked out myself so I always like what I get! :smile: occasionally I might get things I haven't asked for, but i'll always like and use them, my Gran knows me very well so knows what I will like (she does my Dads shopping for him, typical bloke! :lol:)
Reply 101
I can't believe how shocked people are at 30-40 pressies off parents, im 17 and easily get this amount and my family is not exactly well off, i always thought this sort of amount was about normal i guess im more spoilt than i thought but on the other hand i am an only child
Original post by Charl10
I can't believe how shocked people are at 30-40 pressies off parents, im 17 and easily get this amount and my family is not exactly well off, i always thought this sort of amount was about normal i guess im more spoilt than i thought but on the other hand i am an only child

Me too :woo:
Reply 103
I get £100 (and that's enough.)
One big thing and various bits and bobs plus a stocking full of chocolate and bath ****? I don't know, I don't really count.
Yes I still get around 30-40 and I am 22! the thing is it's my mum...she just goes mental around christmas time and just cant stop buying stuff, particularly food- at the moment we have a whole larder dedicated to just christmas food for my immediate family which I cannot touch until christmas day- stuff like 4 packs of "christmas" cereal that can only be opened chrismas day- WTF?!

I mean I don't ask for the stuff- she just buys it and its there on christmas morning (although they are really nice presents and i am very grateful). On the other side of the scale there's my boyfriend who only gets like £30 in a card for chrsitmas...i feel bad about that when he sees all my gifts so i give him all of my chocolate.
Reply 106
I don't count them tbh, but I'm guessing usually 10, 11, 12ish

I have 3 other siblings and we all get about the same. I'm 21 btw
This year I'll be getting 2 - that's combined from everyone I know as well. :rolleyes:
Reply 108
I don't understand some of these replies
one of them saying he gets £300-£750 a "few presents" as though he doesn't get THAT much and someone who gets lots of presents is spoilt :s-smilie:
well I get around 30 presents and I would say most of them were good. I usually get one main present and then lots of little ones, but things I would like.. just cheaper things. My parents spend the lower end of what he gets in cash on top of his few presents but does this mean I'm spoilt because my mum likes to buy lots of small things because she knows I enjoy getting/ opening surprises but she wants me to pick my main present so shes sure I will like it since she cant really afford to waste money on something I might not:s-smilie:
Reply 109
Original post by opinionscount66
Yes I still get around 30-40 and I am 22! the thing is it's my mum...she just goes mental around christmas time and just cant stop buying stuff, particularly food- at the moment we have a whole larder dedicated to just christmas food for my immediate family which I cannot touch until christmas day- stuff like 4 packs of "christmas" cereal that can only be opened chrismas day- WTF?!

We have the cupboard under the stairs which is full of food and alcohol for Christmas. My Mum has this whole system when stocking the Christmas cupboard where she will spend a couple of weeks doing different isles so one week it will be chocolate, the other crisps,nuts and stuff like that.
Reply 110
Original post by CookieDoughLove
So i've been talking to a few people (teens like myself (19), and they say on average at Christmas they get like 10-12 gifts from the parents Which i'm a little shocked at, because I usually get between 30 and 40 (I thought this was normal) :confused:

So are they just not as spoilt, or is it about normal?

How many do you guys get? I'm curious now! It's not something I considered before.

I've never counted, but probably similar to you. My parents are lovely at Christmas, and I always get nice things haha. :smile: I guess we're lucky.
Original post by .Ali.
I've never counted, but probably similar to you. My parents are lovely at Christmas, and I always get nice things haha. :smile: I guess we're lucky.

Yep we are very lucky! :smile:
I normally get one big thing, like this year I'm getting a new laptop, and then little stocking filler type gifts, like a nice cosy dressing gown which is what I've asked for this year :biggrin: I have never ever received 30-40 gifts from my parents, and I'd say that I am quite spoilt compared to other people (not because I ask for a lot, but because my parents are in the position to and want to give me so many nice things, which I'm extremely grateful for!)
So, to me, 30-40 gifts does sound a bit ridiculous. How many things can one person need to receive in one go?! Very excessive, IMO.

1 if I'm lucky
Reply 114
4-5 i don't really want or expect anything
Original post by CookieDoughLove
Nah, about 90% of the stuff is things i've for. So like dressing gown, slippers, pjs, dvds (i'm a huge dvd lover), um clothes (which i've chosen), perfume (which i've chosen), then things like uggs, straighteners, jewelry, charms, calendar, it's all things i've picked out myself so I always like what I get! :smile: occasionally I might get things I haven't asked for, but i'll always like and use them, my Gran knows me very well so knows what I will like (she does my Dads shopping for him, typical bloke! :lol:)

Authentic UGGs?

Are you an only child btw? & Do you get more presents at Christmas or your birthday? (I know some people who get more at Christmas, I find it quite weird lol)

Tbh, it varies year to year but not that many as I ask for quite expensive presents e.g. UGGs/iPods(not because they are expensive though) it's just what I like, I guess..
Original post by un-besito
I normally get one big thing, like this year I'm getting a new laptop, and then little stocking filler type gifts, like a nice cosy dressing gown which is what I've asked for this year :biggrin: I have never ever received 30-40 gifts from my parents, and I'd say that I am quite spoilt compared to other people (not because I ask for a lot, but because my parents are in the position to and want to give me so many nice things, which I'm extremely grateful for!)
So, to me, 30-40 gifts does sound a bit ridiculous. How many things can one person need to receive in one go?! Very excessive, IMO.

Not really. Slippers, dressing gown, pjs, clothes, socks, underwear, smellies, perfumes, and various new dvds that come out. Clothes wear out over the year. So it makes sense to replace them, why not use Christmas as an excuse to do so?
Original post by SuperStarr1
Authentic UGGs?

Are you an only child btw? & Do you get more presents at Christmas or your birthday? (I know some people who get more at Christmas, I find it quite weird lol)

Tbh, it varies year to year but not that many as I ask for quite expensive presents e.g. UGGs/iPods(not because they are expensive though) it's just what I like, I guess..

It's weird to get more things at Christmas?
In my family christmas has always been bigger for gifts and stuff xD
Reply 118
Authentic UGGs?

Doesn't everyone? I get more presents at Christmas, but one or two presents and then money at my birthday (I like to go on shopping sprees! :biggrin:).
Authentic UGGs?

Yup real Uggs :smile:

I am an only child yeah. I don't get much on my birthday. Well I do, I get around £150 spent on me, on my birthday, but thats obviously not much compared to Christmas, which is understandable! I like it that way, i'd rather have more at Christmas.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending