The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Neither is snooker, bowling or the trout toss
Sitting on a horse isn't a sport either, if you think about it.
Define 'sport'.
Original post by xarcul
I would appreciate it if the BBC chose to restrict its 'Sports Personality of the Year' program to sports only. Darts is not a sport and never will be.

You do realise that anybody who is anywhere near good at darts will spend 8+ hours each day training?
Reply 5
Original post by ChemistBoy
Sitting on a horse isn't a sport either, if you think about it.

Yup jockeys just sit on horses like a sack of potatoes.

In darts you stand behind a line and throw a dart.
I'm interested to know how the OP would define a sport.
I love my sports and think darts is kinda cool. Even though I have never played it, I bet it's a very tough game mentally.
Original post by Xannny
Yup jockeys just sit on horses like a sack of potatoes.

In darts you stand behind a line and throw a dart.

Sorry, what's the difference between being having the skill to ride a horse and having the skill to throw darts incredibly accurately? Both require hours and hours of dedication each day to reach a professional level. But in both, the sheer physical effort of athletic sport is not present (or is performed by an animal).

Jockeys have it tough in terms of diet and fitness, but that is purely due to weight (i.e. putting as few potatoes in the sack as possible).
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
:facepalm: I knew we were going to get this thread.
Go look up the definition of what a sport is.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by xarcul

Thank goodness Motorsport is a sport! :biggrin:
Reply 11
Darts is debatable, but bloody chess is definitely isn't!
Darts is a sport (imo anyway). Sport isn't just about offence and defence. A sport is an organized, competitive, entertaining, and skillful activity requiring commitment, strategy, and fair play, in which a winner can be defined by objective means.
Original post by ChemistBoy
Sorry, what's the difference between being having the skill to ride a horse and having the skill to throw darts incredibly accurately? Both require hours and hours of dedication each day to reach a professional level. But in both, the sheer physical effort of athletic sport is not present (or is performed by an animal).

Jockeys have it tough in terms of diet and fitness, but that is purely due to weight (i.e. putting as few potatoes in the sack as possible).

But then you could say football is less of a sport than Rugby because it's less physical. What the OP doesn't understand is sport (at the highest level in particular) is more to do with technique and mentality.
Reply 14
Chess, now that is a sport.
Reply 15
"an active diversion requiring physical exertion and competition"

This means chess, kerplunk and bingo are all sports? :/

Annoys me. Darts is not a sport!
Reply 16
Even if you don't think darts is a sport, you can't deny Phil Taylor is a true great in his particular event. The hunger he still has despite being at the top level of the game is unbelivable.
Sport n. Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

Now end the thread.
Original post by MilfsSonsFriend
But then you could say football is less of a sport than Rugby because it's less physical. What the OP doesn't understand is sport (at the highest level in particular) is more to do with technique and mentality.

I know many people who do say that about football. :wink:
Reply 19
I fear we are going to get caught into the subjective definitions of 'sport'.

Latest