The Student Room Group

UCAS adjustment experiences and required books

Lets get the preamble out of the way; I've been predicted ABB and hoping to get offers from AAB unis(it's bit of a risk but I already have an AAC offer which is something). However due to recent performance it is possible I may achieve up to A*A*A although A*A*B is more realistic. So it would be sensible to try to get into a better uni via adjustment if I do achieve grades like that. I know I'm thinking way in advance but better aiming high than low and being prepared than unprepared.

Only problem is, I assume, that places in a lot of the universities with higher offers than my current choices(Nottingham/Manchester) are probably going to be hard to come by come the adjustment period in late August. COWI, obviously, won't have places(save perhaps Warwick who, as we all know, give out tons of offers expecting a lot not to get in) but since I have little intention of doing STEP or AEA this will rule out a few unis. So I'm not sure what this leaves me. Way I figure it that leaves Bristol, Bath, Durham(perhaps; their section regarding adjustment isn't clear although points towards that as a no) and UCL(and I don't want to go there) so all in all that leaves me 2 unis, right? Bristol and Bath? and if they have places in adjustment I'll be very lucky, right?

So I guess my question is; anyone had experiences with adjustment? and am I right in thinking that the chances of being able to get into a better uni is very small even if I do get those grades?

Now onto the book part. I'm thinking about getting a Kindle and if I do it would also help and make sense to get textbooks on Kindle if I can, however, I'm not sure what books I'll need so if anyone can let us what I should look for I would appreciate it. I had a little look last night and found a book or two that may be appropriate but that's all.

Thanks
Original post by alexs2602
am I right in thinking that the chances of being able to get into a better uni is very small even if I do get those grades?

I have no experience, but yes, you do have a very small chance, perhaps especially with those grades - top unis are very competitive, so often end up with too many people anyway. If you had gone from (for example) a CCD offer to getting BCC, the sort of unis you could be looking at with those grades are more likely to have spaces available.
Reply 2
Original post by TheSownRose
I have no experience, but yes, you do have a very small chance, perhaps especially with those grades - top unis are very competitive, so often end up with too many people anyway. If you had gone from (for example) a CCD offer to getting BCC, the sort of unis you could be looking at with those grades are more likely to have spaces available.

That's what I thought. Oh well, it's not the end of the world, as long as I get an offer from my current faves *fingers crossed*
Reply 3
It's probably unlikely as they're quite competitive unis, but if your results are higher then it's worth giving it a go, you'll still keep your firm even if you don't get accepted anywhere :smile:
Reply 4
Books:

you won't need any. besides, textbooks are *really* expensive - it's best off getting them from the library if you do need a text.
Reply 5
Original post by around
Books:

you won't need any. besides, textbooks are *really* expensive - it's best off getting them from the library if you do need a text.

Hmmmm, ok, thanks. Still trying to decide about getting a Kindle. I'm being offered it as a present but I don't know if there's anything else I want more. It has been something I was thinking about getting but due to lack of money it wasn't a serious idea. If I do get a kindle I want to avoid spending more money on getting books the best I can(which I can to a degree). I'd probably have to pay for textbooks but I'd want to know I can get them on Kindle first.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
very unlikely but you never know - places like Warwick which require STEP might find a lot candidates dont get good STEP grades, which means loadz of places up for grabs - highly unlikely though.

Quick Reply

Latest