The Student Room Group

What's everyone's opinions on dreadlocks?

Scroll to see replies

I just think they make people look dirty.
I suppose if I didn't wash my hair for a month, it'd look quite similar.
Original post by Crazy Paving
srs? :lolwut:

Yeah, washing up liquid strips grease from hair in the same way it does plates. You need something residue free to wash dreads.

And Adam, I have only ever seen a few greasy sets of dreads, but mainly dreads are clean cos dirty hair doesn't knot.
I've just started my locs and I want them to look like http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_cs3acYzFUig/TDj6edLa06I/AAAAAAAAAPA/qkzdU4nEHJs/s1600/12941_628486042378_60702682_35807913_1933114_n.jpg
but they currently look like... http://unclefunkysdaughter.com/images/stylegallery/image19_big.jpg
Exactly like that... same length and everything. They've really made my non growing afro hair start growing! I love dreads. :love: And no, I'm not rasta. :tongue:

There's a guy in my RS class with dreadlocks and they really don't suit him. They're not even neat, they're just a huge clump on the top of his head, looks like a rats nest. If you take care of them, they look lovely. If you don't... they look horrendous.
Reply 43
I think they're skanky, can't help but think the people with them are unwashed and unclean.
Reply 44
To be entirely honest, I'm not a massive fan.
Sorry, I just don't find it attractive at all.
I wouldn't rule someone out just because they had dreadlocks, but it would be a case of liking them despite of them.
Original post by diamonddust
I've just started my locs and I want them to look like http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_cs3acYzFUig/TDj6edLa06I/AAAAAAAAAPA/qkzdU4nEHJs/s1600/12941_628486042378_60702682_35807913_1933114_n.jpg
but they currently look like... http://unclefunkysdaughter.com/images/stylegallery/image19_big.jpg
Exactly like that... same length and everything. They've really made my non growing afro hair start growing! I love dreads. :love: And no, I'm not rasta. :tongue:

There's a guy in my RS class with dreadlocks and they really don't suit him. They're not even neat, they're just a huge clump on the top of his head, looks like a rats nest. If you take care of them, they look lovely. If you don't... they look horrendous.

Maybe his dreads are just young; caucasian hair dreads in a different way and looks pretty rubbish for a year before it looks like nice dreads.
Reply 47
Original post by DanniSteele

Original post by DanniSteele
Had mine for 10 months now, and I love em! Just curious about other people's thoughts :smile:

And yeah, they do get washed and are totally clean and stuff.

Pic is a bit dark, but my parrot is asleep and didn't want to wake her :tongue:

Awwwww that's a lovely parrot
Reply 48
:coma: :sogood:
Original post by OceanInTheSky
Terrible unless you're Jamaican.

this
Reply 50
they look stupid unless you're black.
Reply 51
Original post by EskimoJo
Waist-length hair?!!! :woo: :eek3: *wants to see it* :o:

This is my hair. It's very curly and so looks shorter, but when I straighten it it goes past my belt.

Reply 52
Original post by Einheri
This is my hair. It's very curly and so looks shorter, but when I straighten it it goes past my belt.

:woo: Looks lush and healthy! :top:
Dyed? :eyebrow: Or natural? :sexface:
Reply 53
I respect the dedication people have to their dreads. I used to know I guy who had them down to his waist, then he got it all shaved off for seemingly no reason.
I wouldn't get them myself (although my hair is more than long enough to have a go) but I'm happy for other guys to have them. They look a bit odd on women though.
Reply 54
Original post by Einheri

\m/
win.
Reply 55
:woo: Looks lush and healthy! :top:
Dyed? :eyebrow: Or natural? :sexface:

Well, my hair is naturally a dark auburn with blonde bits but I've used red henna on it to lighten it up and get rid of the blonde (which comes out as very fiery orange streaks). It's basically my natural colour but on the other end of the light/dark spectrum.

. . .

Yes, I know . . . I'm a fraud :frown: .

Original post by Manitude
\m/
win.

Tr00! :headbang:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 56
I have a fetish for white women with dreadlocks :love:
Reply 57
Original post by Einheri
Well, my hair is naturally a dark auburn with blonde bits but I've used red henna on it to lighten it up and get rid of the blonde (which comes out as very fiery orange streaks). It's basically my natural colour but on the other end of the light/dark spectrum.

. . .

Yes, I know . . . I'm a fraud :frown: .

Henna is natural, so it's fine! :biggrin: I'm going to henna and Indigo my hair when it's back to natural to get the raven black I like. :smile:
Suit some people but not everyone. I had a phase there I wanted them this summer...but...just...no. I think some guys can be really attractive with them though :smile:
Reply 59
Henna is natural, so it's fine! :biggrin: I'm going to henna and Indigo my hair when it's back to natural to get the raven black I like. :smile:

Have you been to a shop called Lush before? That's where I got my henna from, they have a midnight blue one I think. There's a shop on Clumber Street in Nottingham (fellow Nottingham student here, respek blud :cool: ), they seem to be well-stocked on the henna front.

Quick Reply

Latest