The Student Room Group

Kaunas - Lithuania

Hey,

Me and a few friends are heading to Kaunas in Lithuania sometime in February, just on a whim really, as we'll be in Berlin anyway, and flights were really cheap from there! I was just wondering if anyone had been there before and could offer any advice on what to do/see. I'd also be grateful if someone could give me some info about the cost of things, I'm not expecting Eurotrip style 5* hotels for £5, but will I be able to get for example, a meal which would cost £50 here for £10-20? And will alcohol be pretty cheap? (I've heard 5 LTL for some good vodka!!)

Thanks a lot,

Paul

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well, I've been through there on a bus and we had a half hour beak there... so my opinion is not particularly well informed but it didn't look anything special after spending time in Vilnius. But it will be cheap, as I imagine it'a probably slightly cheaper than Vilnius (which is dirt cheap compared to England anyway). You can probably eat out in a nice restaurant for what you'd pay for standard pub grub over here. And, yes, alcohol is cheap, particularly vodka. Can't remember exactly how much but let's just say I wasn't keeping track of how much I was spending despite being on a budget.
The airport is in the middle of nowhere and Kaunas isnt the best place to go if you want to visit Lithuania. 1 pound is 4lt so everything will be cheap for you including alcohol :smile: Feel free to ask me questions im not from that city but im Lithuanian.
Reply 3
Original post by She_Bittersweet
The airport is in the middle of nowhere and Kaunas isnt the best place to go if you want to visit Lithuania. 1 pound is 4lt so everything will be cheap for you including alcohol :smile: Feel free to ask me questions im not from that city but im Lithuanian.

It's a 30min ride from Kaunas city. There are always buses going to there and taxis as well. would be 30LTL with a taxi to central kaunas from the airport, or 2LTL with the bus.

Vodka is around 30-40LTL for a 1L bottle, depends on the brand.

with 20 quid, you can have a pretty posh meal in some of the restaurants.

Also, if you want to visit vilnius, there are express business which go straight to Vilnius without any stops.

How long are you going to stay there for?
(edited 13 years ago)
Why would you possibly want to go there?
Original post by LW5x01
It's a 30min ride from Kaunas city. There are always buses going to there and taxis as well. would be 30LTL with a taxi to central kaunas from the airport, or 2LTL with the bus.

Vodka is around 30-40LTL for a 1L bottle, depends on the brand.

with 20 quid, you can have a pretty posh meal in some of the restaurants.

lol why did you quote me?
Reply 6
Original post by domino0806
Why would you possibly want to go there?

Because it is awesome, have you been there?

lol why did you quote me?

lol, i quoted you because:

"The airport is in the middle of nowhere and Kaunas isnt the best place to go if you want to visit Lithuania."

Might not be the best, but if you don't have much time, it has things to offer.

What is then? Isn't it like the capital.
What is then? Isn't it like the capital.

No Vilnius is the capital, which is like 120km or something similar away from Kaunas. Thats a place to go.:rolleyes:
No Vilnius is the capital, which is like 120km or something similar away from Kaunas. Thats a place to go.:rolleyes:

Don't be silly, that's not in Lithuania.
Don't be silly, that's not in Lithuania.

lo Are you kidding me? You think I dont know capital of my home country?
lo Are you kidding me? You think I dont know capital of my home country?

I'm sure you think it's the capital of your country. But it's not, you stole it. -_-
I'm sure you think it's the capital of your country. But it's not, you stole it. -_-

Oh come on:rolleyes: Are you Polish by any chance?
Oh come on:rolleyes: Are you Polish by any chance?

-_-
vilnius = yay! ^^ kaunas = NAY *scrunches face* ;( and you can be assured it's an unbiased opinion as i'm from neither of these cities ;D

-_-

Oh **** off :rolleyes:
Oh **** off :rolleyes:

You know it's true.
You know it's true.

If it was true Vilnius would be in Poland now.Plus if i keep digging deeper by who the city was established and how long it belonged (accidentally) to Poland its obvious its Lithuanian.So get over it.
If it was true Vilnius would be in Poland now.Plus if i keep digging deeper by who the city was established and how long it belonged (accidentally) to Poland its obvious its Lithuanian.So get over it.

The only reason it's not in Poland is because you traded your independence in and joined the Soviet Union in return for it. Basically collaborated with the Russians to steal it. And then purged it of its Polish population who formed a majority before WWII. -_-
The only reason it's not in Poland is because you traded your independence in and joined the Soviet Union in return for it. Basically collaborated with the Russians to steal it. And then purged it of its Polish population who formed a majority before WWII. -_-

We traded out independence? Do you realize how stupid this sounds?Its lithuanian, established by lithuanians and for centuries belonged to Lithuania, plus Poland occupied the city for a few years but that was it.

Anyway in case you come to Lithuania never say what you just told you me, if you want to come back safely :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest