The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Guvnor
, but really interesting its all about the Crusades basically.

And Eva Green :mmm:

Original post by Deshi
The Lotr trilogy is in my top two :awesome:

I watched a film called the 13th Warrior a few days ago that was alright. But I had watched Beowulf a few years ago and they seem so similar?

What's in first place? :holmes:

I've watched Beowulf (animation) but not 13th Warrior. So many movies I need to watch ... :nooo:
Original post by Guvnor
I didn't like 300 for some reason :holmes: not my type of movie, but for me Gladiator and Troy are definitely up there

Must have been the six packs and high levels of testosterone. :pierre:
Reply 5162
Original post by Ape Gone Insane

:

I prefer the chick from Prince of Persia, whatever her name is :sexface:
Reply 5163
Must have been the six packs. :pierre:

I don't know why, just the whole story as a whole, and when I read up about them later just put me more of them as a whole. How true it is I don't know, but practicing homosexuality with young kids and encouraging it to the younger ones, so it would spread brotherhood and unity :lolwut: was a bit off putting, maybe I look into things too much and maybe I should not have read that article either.
Original post by Guvnor
I prefer the chick from Prince of Persia, whatever her name is :sexface:

Gemma Arterton? Also starred in Quantum of Solace and Crash of a film where there is no Titans. :pierre:

Spoiler

:sexface:
Reply 5165
Gemma Arterton? Also starred in Quantum of Solace and Crash of a film where there is no Titans. :pierre:

Spoiler

:sexface:

That's the one :awesome:

:hat2:
Original post by Guvnor
but practicing homosexuality with young kids and encouraging it to the younger ones, so it would spread brotherhood and unity :lolwut: was a bit off putting, maybe I look into things too much and maybe I should not have read that article either.

Not in the way we perceive it. :tongue:

The Spartans weren't gay in the sense that we think of it. It was not uncommon in many Greek City States, and in Sparta in particular, for an adult male or warrior to have a younger "companion". The relationship was not just sexual, though it did involve that. It was a mentoring relationship, with the older man expected to provide a role model and see to the younger man's education in how to be a good citizen. Certainly, with the odd situation of fairly late marriages with Spartan men, that there were probably a fair number of gay relationships. The ancient Greeks tended to look at homosexuality differently than we do today. One school of thought is that since women were so inferior, it was impossible for a man to truly love a woman. Thus the only "true love" a man could have would be for another man. But given the fact that marriages were still the norm, it's unlikely that homosexuality was the rule rather than the exception in sexual relationships.
On a side note, look up the Theban Sacred Band. This was a group of elite warriors, 150 pairs of men. The idea behind the Band was that a soldier would fight better if his lover was at his side. Again, this was an unusual arrangement even for the times.

An interesting read: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080519151507AA7AXTu
Reply 5167

What's in first place? :holmes:

I've watched Beowulf (animation) but not 13th Warrior. So many movies I need to watch ... :nooo:

It's really tight at the top between Goodfellas and the LOTR trilogy, I love Goodfellas but there are no films in this world that I have seen more than the LOTR trilogy.

Scorsese is definitely my favourite director though, Nolans catching up though :biggrin:
Reply 5168
Anybody seen : The Guardian here, and what did you make of it ?

I really liked it, thought it was a top movie.
Reply 5169
Not in the way we perceive it. :tongue:

An interesting read: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080519151507AA7AXTu

Thanks for that, I'll definitely read that, but that article I read was a bit gross :tongue:
Original post by Deshi
It's really tight at the top between Goodfellas and the LOTR trilogy, I love Goodfellas but there are no films in this world that I have seen more than the LOTR trilogy.

Scorsese is definitely my favourite director though, Nolans catching up though :biggrin:

Spoiler

Don't kill me. :awesome:
Reply 5171

Spoiler

:eek4: :lolwut:

Top movie based on a true story, must watch :yy:
Reply 5172
I have watched a film in which Gemma Arterton has a very hot sex scene :sexface:

But I cannot remember what film it was :emo:

I had a period where I became interested in Zeus and stuff and watched Clash Of the Titans and Percy Jackson the lightening thief or something like that. Terrible decision :facepalm2:
Reply 5173
Original post by Deshi
I have watched a film in which Gemma Arterton has a very hot sex scene :sexface:

I had a period where I became interested in Zeus and stuff and watched Clash Of the Titans and Percy Jackson the lightening thief or something like that. Terrible decision :facepalm2:

Reminds me of my time when I was obsessed with Hercules :biggrin: :lol:

But the women that perform with him are breath taking I must say :drool:
not a regular on here but i've found that iplayer has some decent movies on now and again, last one i saw was the chaser which was a pretty good korean film - recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it.

atm there's butterfly on the wheel which i'm about to watch which got 6.7 on imdb, should be ok
Original post by Guvnor
:eek4: :lolwut:

Top movie based on a true story, must watch :yy:

Yeah :ashamed: also got to watch the Godfather movies. :indiff:

Original post by Deshi

You have got us curious now. :unimpressed:

I love Greek mythology (and to a lesser extent, Roman and Norse) but it seems to only translate well in literature. So far. I have hope. :moon:

Percy Jackson was a terrible movie, I agree.
Reply 5176

Spoiler

The founder of the Film Fanatics society has never seen Goodfellas? Sort it out :colonhash:
Reply 5177
Yeah :ashamed: also got to watch the Godfather movies. :indiff:

I have yet to watch the Godfather series as well :colondollar:
Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
not a regular on here but i've found that iplayer has some decent movies on now and again, last one i saw was the chaser which was a pretty good korean film - recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it.

atm there's butterfly on the wheel which i'm about to watch which got 6.7 on imdb, should be ok

Hello :h:

For a brief period, they had some pretty 'mainstream' movies - Pirates of the Caribbean and the like.

Somebody else in this thread mentioned the Chaser too. Going to add it to my Christmas watchlist. Thanks for the recommendation.

Have you seen Oldboy out of curiosity?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Deshi
The founder of the Film Fanatics society has never seen Goodfellas? Sort it out :colonhash:

:colondollar:

Original post by Guvnor
I have yet to watch the Godfather series as well :colondollar:

Yas! I'm not the only one. :adore:

Latest

Trending

Trending