The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Read The Quraan, Pray Namaaz and Inshallah God willing your problems will be sorted.
You're mistaken if you think religion will make you happy...particularly Islam.
Reply 42
Good, become a normal person and don't follow stupid oppressive rules.
Original post by Merk that Sike of a Mike
I'm sorry but you are simply mistaken about the definitions of belief and knowledge.
You should study philosophy, it comes in useful with such discussions.

It is generally agreed among philosophers that a belief is any proposition which someone holds to be true.

Philosophers generally agree that knowledge of a proposition P requires 3 components:
1) That P is true.
2) That the individual believes P.
3) That the individual is warranted in its belief of p.

So belief is necessary for knowledge, it is a component of knowledge.
Knowledge just goes further than belief.

I haven't got much to say for Islam as I am a Christian, but I just wanted to point you out on some faulty reasoning.

What a load of cods wallop. No untruth is more or less true then any other untruth. Truth exists independently of knowledge and beliefs. With the exception of the subjective 'I AM' all knowledge is just belief. If 'God' is a reality then that is a truth which is not altered by any belief or knowledge. It just is the 'Truth' and always will be. Truth believed is a lie, no belief is true and to say any belief is true is to open the flood gates and and say that all beliefs are true.

Try thinking for yourself instead of the faulty logic that if some 'philosophy' book says so then it must be true...bull****.
Talk to a Sheikh or someone you know that is well learned. Post in the Islamic society, not on here!
Reply 45
Original post by bumppp.786
Firstly, thank you for visiting this thread.

I'm a Muslim; the last 3 or 4 years I've neglected Islam, and not bothered to look into it, learn the basic prayers etc.
Recently I've been really upset and down for no apparent reason, and I know this may sound stupid or w/e to those atheists; but I felt that becoming more in touch with Islam would make me feel a little better, mentality wise.

I'm stuck atm, I want to becoming more in touch with Islam but don't know where to start, or how to learn it properly and quickly.

Thanks again, TSR. :frown:

To be honest it would've been best if you had spoken to an Imam of some sort rather than a student forum but may as well.

If you stop praying you will inevitably lose your iman. Don' be shy about learning to pray, no one will judge. Look online to learn step by step how to pray but I would seriously advice you find a group of Muslims your age to hang around with so you don't get "lost" again. They would be a good influence religiously speaking.

You're definitely right. Becoming more in touch with Islam will definitely give you a greater peace and make you feel better. Just be willing enough to learn. Just by learning these things I'm sure you'll feel more confident.

Most importantly I advice you find something about Islam that will re inspire you. Read the Islamic translations and find something that speaks to you ONLY and makes Islam unique for you which I have no doubt in my mind you will find should you be bothered to look for it. An inspired Muslim will tell you we all have a personal relationship with God that keeps us going in our day to day lives. Don't want to sound like a religious loony but Allah is aware that you are looking for inspiration and like many converts (not that I am one) will tell he will present it to you at the right moment so keep looking, learning praying and speaking of nothing but good to others.
Good luck.:biggrin:
Reply 46

I'm a Muslim; the last 3 or 4 years I've neglected Islam, and not bothered to look into it, learn the basic prayers etc.
Recently I've been really upset and down for no apparent reason, and I know this may sound stupid or w/e to those atheists; but I felt that becoming more in touch with Islam would make me feel a little better, mentality wise.

I'm stuck atm, I want to becoming more in touch with Islam but don't know where to start, or how to learn it properly and quickly.

Visit your local Mosque as much as possible, sit in gatherings in Mosque and also may few days with a local tablig jamat, this should put you on the right path. remember life s temporarily!!!
Your loosing your religion and it's Islam? ****ing rejoice.
Reply 48
Original post by Craiky1506
It's interesting how you class yourself as a Muslim yet you neglect Islam and are out of touch with it/don't know the basics.

Do you feel like you are a Muslim because your family are and you should be also? This is purely out of self-interest, you don't have to answer to it if it's personal to you. :smile:

its just like the majority of us in britain/west class ourselves as christians yet are out of touch/don't know the basics of the religion...

could be our cultural identity
Reply 49

If you want to subscribe to a load of nonsense, unsupported by any evidence, all for the sake of consoling yourself, then just copy the other Muslims who you know.

However, if you want to actually think critically and really look into why you are religious, then start by thinking about it all...really ask yourself: "why do I believe this crap?" Answer: because other people do and fallacious ideas are passed down generations. If you have to be religious, why not at least pick a nicer one...
Is that you in the corner?
Reply 51
In short:

1. Prayer - just do it and have an open mind and an open heart - this is where God actually listens to you most by the way, so it's better than just having a random thought saying 'oh I want religion' and then letting that thought slide 2 seconds later.

2. Good company. Seriously this is so important. When I say 'seriously' i mean it from the bottom of my heart.

3. Open mind AND reflect deeply. Be ready to accept ideas and values that are seen as different to the average product of a modern day person in this society. It's a spiritual adventure.

4. Start by reading the basics, get involved with the beauty of Islam too, and then you'll slowly progress to the scholarly stuff.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 52
I was in a similar situation but with Christianity.
I felt like I was stuck in a corner. With a pressured spotlight of responsibilty. Basically trying to keep up with other Christians, and at the time I didn't know if I could do it :/
But then I realised life is bigger than both you and I. Everyone is different, you are not me! It doesn't matter if you're laughing or crying, as long as you think you're trying. It could just be a dream after all..
Oh crap I think i've probably said too much here. I waffle on a bit!
Reply 53
Compare you're life over the last 3/4 yrs to what it was like when you were more religous. If it is better now, don't bother getting your religion back, if not, then start by learning prayers, going to mosque more often. Talk to your parents, they may be able to help.
Original post by bunty64
its just like the majority of us in britain/west class ourselves as christians yet are out of touch/don't know the basics of the religion...

could be our cultural identity

I don't know about the majority - I'd say parental influence seems to be a bigger thing in Islamic families than in Christian families - I know plenty of people who class themselves as atheists yet have very Christian parents, whereas I know none of the same for the Islamic families. Admittedly I know few Islamic families - but I have heard of none doing the same, and it seems to be a bigger thing, but I admit I could be wrong on this.

I see your point though, I agree it's down to cultural identity. I was just interested because it fascinates me how sometimes people are eager to identify themselves as a Muslim/Christian, or any sort of religion yet haven't taken the time to try & understand it & build an opinion either way, they just feel they are - because as you said, it could just be down to their cultural identity.

Like Marcus Brigstocke says (or similar to this), a child is no more a Christian than he is a postal worker.
Reply 55
That's me in the corner!

Yeah religion is a solace. But it's hard to go back to totally accepting religion. Had a Christian phase in my early teens but these days couldn't go back to it because I will never be able to believe that blindly again. I now accept a watered-down Christian-based spirituality.

You could find solace in humanism - in enjoying life, basically - and no, that isn't shorthand for getting plastered and ****ing randoms. It consists in really putting effort into your friends, family, and facticities like your local area, your job, your interests.

If you really want to go back to Islam, I think it will be difficult to accept in your heart the dogma of a formal organised religion. I think that the way to "learn it" is to get down the mosque and get back into the community. Community spirit really buoys belief; that's why we have mosques, churches, temples. If you don't love the religion, you won't learn your catechisms/do your prayers/whatever, and if it's a chore, it's not real belief anyway. If you want to make it not a chore, make it fun; use the community.

Don't worry about it - it is quite common as people grow up and become educated in the ways of the world to see where the main problems lie - mainly with the fact that many religions fail to move with the times and still follow practices that might have made common sense thousands of years ago, but have no place in today's society.

Of course, I'm not saying that certain aspects don't have benefits, but since the majority of people that follow a religion usually become indoctrinated as children (as opposed to later in life), as they get older it is only natural that people will feel some scepticism about certain aspects of what they were brought up to believe in.

With every religion though, there are lots of people you can talk to - say a priest or imam or rabbi, so you can discuss any issues you have and he can offer advice and guidance - as well as a friendly chat.
Reply 57
I don't know about the majority - I'd say parental influence seems to be a bigger thing in Islamic families than in Christian families - I know plenty of people who class themselves as atheists yet have very Christian parents, whereas I know none of the same for the Islamic families. Admittedly I know few Islamic families - but I have heard of none doing the same, and it seems to be a bigger thing, but I admit I could be wrong on this.

I see your point though, I agree it's down to cultural identity. I was just interested because it fascinates me how sometimes people are eager to identify themselves as a Muslim/Christian, or any sort of religion yet haven't taken the time to try & understand it & build an opinion either way, they just feel they are - because as you said, it could just be down to their cultural identity.

Like Marcus Brigstocke says (or similar to this), a child is no more a Christian than he is a postal worker.

well yes, in britain at least, if you compare muslim families to christian families. This is what the tories are trying to fix (although they aren’t mentioning religion!)
I would say that if you were to compare two practising families, I would say that both have great parental influence (as both religions have this as fundamental belief).

According to the last census, the majority of britain is christian (thought I suspect quite a percentage of these were for cultural rather than religous reasons.)
Reply 58

well yes, in britain at least, if you compare muslim families to christian families. This is what the tories are trying to fix (although they aren’t mentioning religion!)
I would say that if you were to compare two practising families, I would say that both have great parental influence (as both religions have this as fundamental belief).

According to the last census, the majority of britain is christian (thought I suspect quite a percentage of these were for cultural rather than religous reasons.)
I do believe this decline in christianity will increase over the decades and come to a point where the majority will be of athiest/agnostic beliefs, with islam becoming the dominant abrahamic religion. Atheists somewhat expect islam to follow the same route and liberalise and then erode like christianity, but don't believe that is likely to happen.
Original post by xayshx

Original post by xayshx
i think you should start by learning the basic prayers and read as many as you can throughout the day.
Also try and read the Quran if you know how to, and if not, you deffo need to learn how to.
Try and read up on Islam, to answer any questions you may have aswell.
Good luck and Inshallah you'll be guided onto the right path :smile:

this! great advice, thats just what im gonna say :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending