The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

One thing that irritates me is that women are 'allowed' to be fat/plus sized/carrying a little extra weight, but in society men arent 'allowed' to carry any extra weight. i mean, when or where would you ever see a male equivalent of the article/photo in the opening post??

if your a woman, society and the media has it that you can still be attractive if you are not thin, so to speak (although women are generally promoted as being thin). socity has a kind of 'fat acceptance' movement for women.

though if your a man, women society dicatate to us that you should be super thin.

i know of plenty of girls who are overweight(slightly overweight and properly 'fat') who have bfs, but you never see fat or overweight blokes with gfs.
(edited 13 years ago)
she's fat but pretty
Original post by ItsaNameAndIUseIt
She's not fat, she's realistic. And bloody beautiful too, might I add.
Let's face it, you wants something to hold on to, and she's got it. All she needs is a better fitting bra and less abuse off you, OP.

If she doesn't care what the scales say, I doubt she cares what YOU say, tbh.

She is fat because she is lazy and eats badly.
As for realistic - how?
As I said, she simply has a poor diet and eats badly. In a world where you can get any information you want in minutes and have access to numerous fitness facilities, she has no excuse to look like that bar her own personal flaws. People like you simply make the problem worse as you pretend it is fine as a way of justifying being lazy yourself.
Original post by Jimbo1234
She is fat because she is lazy and eats badly.
As for realistic - how?
As I said, she simply has a poor diet and eats badly. In a world where you can get any information you want in minutes and have access to numerous fitness facilities, she has no excuse to look like that bar her own personal flaws. People like you simply make the problem worse as you pretend it is fine as a way of justifying being lazy yourself.

You speak the truth. if your carrying excess weight, your also at risk of developing diabetes etc.

also, it feels better to be an optimum, healthy weight
Original post by Justin Hammer
-

You know curvy has a spectrum right? There are extremely curvy girls like Kim Kardashian and then there are "chubby" curvy girls that people like you call fat. Also since you're talking about Kim Kardashian:

This is not to mention Kim Kardashian is blessed with amazing curves which she maintains through an extremely active lifestyle. You know, it's pretty ****ing retarded and unrealistic to expect everyone to be able to maintain such a lifestyle especially younger girls (the ones who have the most hangups about their bodies).

Here's a plus size model and a good example of what women should aspire to if they aren't born with an amazing figure.

The sad thing is warped retards like Janice Dickinson think curvy girls like this and Tyra Banks are fat. In fact I'm sure I've seen her call a perfectly healthy girl too fat. Hilarious. Also this explains why fashion models are so thin.

http://www.wisegeek.com/why-are-fashion-models-so-thin.htm

Also I know this is the Daily Mail but it's also a good example of perfectly fine girls being branded fat in comparison to stick thin girls.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-418780/The-stunning-size-12-model-branded-fat-TV-competition.html
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by thisisnew
You know curvy has a spectrum right? There are extremely curvy girls like Kim Kardashian and then there are "chubby" curvy girls that people like you call fat. Also since you're talking about Kim Kardashian:

This is not to mention Kim Kardashian is blessed with amazing curves which she maintains through an extremely active lifestyle. You know, it's pretty ****ing retarded and unrealistic to expect everyone to be able to maintain such a lifestyle especially younger girls (the ones who have the most hangups about their bodies).

Here's a plus size model and a good example of what women should aspire to if they aren't born with an amazing figure.

The sad thing is warped retards like Janice Dickinson think curvy girls like this and Tyra Banks are fat. In fact I'm sure I've seen her call a perfectly healthy girl too fat. Hilarious. Also this explains why fashion models are so thin.

http://www.wisegeek.com/why-are-fashion-models-so-thin.htm

Also I know this is the Daily Mail but it's also a good example of perfectly fine girls being branded fat in comparison to stick thin girls.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-418780/The-stunning-size-12-model-branded-fat-TV-competition.html

Firstly the second pic is clearly photoshopped, secondly the bolded bit is just unbelievable trash. I can understand the problem older women face, having children, a career etc etc. However young females have absolutely no ****ing excuse, especially the ones in uni. Amusing how so many have the time and resources to binge on drink multiple nights a week yet cant pay 100 pounds per year to take out a gym membership and get into shape. Alot of females are doing it on 3-4 hours a week.

There is no excuse to be fat, there are the resources and equipment needed to get healthy, especially if you are young
Reply 306
I'd hit it, I don't think she's 'fat', merely chubby, and chubby is fine with me.
Reply 307
Probably a stone or two in excess of the 'ideal' for her frame, but still attractive.
Reply 308
Yeah she is fat. if shes happy like that fair doos, let her live her life. But at the end of the day she is overweight which the vast majority do find unattractive and people shouldn't be encouraged to look like this because its not healthy! its not curvy its just plain fat.
I don't see the need to label them: small, petite, round, curvy, fat, plus size, so on and so forth. Beauty is beauty. It's cliche, yet true, to say its subjective, and I personally think that that model in the picture is beautiful regardless of the argument on "is she curvy or not"
Firstly the second pic is clearly photoshopped, secondly the bolded bit is just unbelievable trash. I can understand the problem older women face, having children, a career etc etc. However young females have absolutely no ****ing excuse, especially the ones in uni. Amusing how so many have the time and resources to binge on drink multiple nights a week yet cant pay 100 pounds per year to take out a gym membership and get into shape. Alot of females are doing it on 3-4 hours a week.

There is no excuse to be fat, there are the resources and equipment needed to get healthy, especially if you are young

There is no excuse for young girls to be fat, you're right. Just not YOUR definition of fat because your definition of fat is absurd. And other than the usual stuff (that applies to all of the famous curvy girls you can think of) what has been photo shopped about that picture?
There is no excuse for young girls to be fat, you're right. Just not YOUR definition of fat because your definition of fat is absurd. And other than the usual stuff (that applies to all of the famous curvy girls you can think of) what has been photo shopped about that picture?

Its nothing to do with my definition of fat, that doesnt even make any sense. If you workout you WILL NOT look like that at all, hence there is no excuse to look like that. The woman has far too much adipose tissue in the abdominal area, even when standing. This is a sign of someone who is out of shape and lacks muscle mass, worst of all its very unhealthy. As anyone who has actually seen a naked female before its quite obvious that she is missing a few rolls of fat which should be there and her thighs are far too firm and taut for someone who is clearly overweight. Image has been shopped to hell.
(edited 13 years ago)
Its nothing to do with my definition of fat, that doesnt even make any sense. If you workout you WILL NOT look like that at all, hence there is no excuse to look like that. The woman has far too much adipose tissue in the abdominal area, even when standing. This is a sign of someone who is out of shape and lacks muscle mass, worst of all its very unhealthy. As anyone who has actually seen a naked female before its quite obvious that she is missing a few rolls of fat which should be there and her thighs are far too firm and taut for someone who is clearly overweight. Image has been shopped to hell.

You're under the (wrong) impression that being in shape = having an amazingly flat and toned stomach/thighs etc. Also I asked for you to list shopped things about that photo which aren't done to whatever famous women you find curvy. Pretty sure things like that are airbrushed out of J-Lo, Beyonce or Kim Kardashian or <insert commonly labeled "thick" or curvy woman here> pictures all the time.

This woman (obviously not photoshopped) has a similar figure to most of the girls you're calling fat yet she has quite firm thighs and no stomach rolls and I'm pretty sure she's healthy. Curvy not fat.

See here for how there are different types of curvy as opposed to flat out being fat. In fact Maralyn Monroe would of made a good plus sized model in the picture below yet she's heralded as one of the most beautiful and curviest women ever. You can just tell by the face, arms, neck and thighs etc of the women you're calling fat that they are actually not fat.

(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 313

look at her legs! And its photoshopped to ****

The day women "aspire", to look like this is a sad day indeed
She's not your typical model size, that's undeniable.

Would I call her fat? No.

Her size isn't important, it's the fact that she can pull it off. A lot of women can't be fat and sexy at the same time, but those who can usually don't really suit being skinny.

This world is full of all different shapes and sizes, and since when was the media making people feel better about themselves a bad thing?

And let's face it, at the end of the day...

You wouldn't say no.
(edited 13 years ago)
I guess it's better to be full-figured than anorexic though I wouldn't feel good with myself,having this extra amount of pounds on me- but hey,that's just me always obsessing about my weight :smile:
Reply 316
What exactly does it say? That OP doesnt approve of women who chose the gorge on food and lack the discipline to undertake any kind of physical activity. Being overweight is more often than not an indicator that one does not take care of him/herself.

Firstly, if she was the size of a house i would agree. But she isn't. It is just interesting that he would pick the picture of a successful woman and put her down. Yeah she is overweight no more then most women. I'm going to sit here and call anyone names because they happen to not find chubbier people attaractive, you are will within your right to think so. But to be so aggressivly impolite about her shows a complete lack of immaturity and abilty to accept that some people, oh the horror, are overweight and not that worried about it.

Look at paintings 200 years ago, all women looked like the one in the OP and that was fahionable. Now we are all expected to like a more sevelt figure, oh apart from teh few months this yeah when Mad Men was on. Face it, being as big as she is is not going to cause any health problems, she looks healthy and she has a career as a model, who woul dhave thought people can be porky and confident??!!. Some people are fat. Grow up, get over it, move on and learn to accept people for what they are. Reserve you judgement for those so fat they have to be cut out of a house.
Surely there are far more important things in women AND life than how much people weigh?

If you are truly that narrow minded, I am sorry, but you're going to have to accept that the human body is optimal with a little 'insurance' on it. Fat provides insulation, mass (not the Catholic kind) and fends off starvation in a life-threatening situation. Having no fat at all may be attractive in the eyes of the media and individuals such as yourself, but it is definitely not healthier.

You don't have to be a biologist to work that out.
You're under the (wrong) impression that being in shape = having an amazingly flat and toned stomach/thighs etc. Also I asked for you to list shopped things about that photo which aren't done to whatever famous women you find curvy. Pretty sure things like that are airbrushed out of J-Lo, Beyonce or Kim Kardashian or <insert commonly labeled "thick" or curvy woman here> pictures all the time.

This woman (obviously not photoshopped) has a similar figure to most of the girls you're calling fat yet she has quite firm thighs and no stomach rolls and I'm pretty sure she's healthy. Curvy not fat.

See here for how there are different types of curvy as opposed to flat out being fat. In fact Maralyn Monroe would of made a good plus sized model in the picture below yet she's heralded as one of the most beautiful and curviest women ever. You can just tell by the face, arms, neck and thighs etc of the women you're calling fat that they are actually not fat.

Sorry mate, the woman in that picture is fat/chubby and would definitely be unfit.

Look at the roles of fat underneath her armpit. Look at how big her thighs are - they will chafe :eek:.

Here is a better scale of what is fat and all as those who you say are fat are actually clinically obese or hyper obese, not just overweight.

Original post by Alex_Olney
Surely there are far more important things in women AND life than how much people weigh?

If you are truly that narrow minded, I am sorry, but you're going to have to accept that the human body is optimal with a little 'insurance' on it. Fat provides insulation, mass (not the Catholic kind) and fends off starvation in a life-threatening situation. Having no fat at all may be attractive in the eyes of the media and individuals such as yourself, but it is definitely not healthier.

Well, although it looks petty and shallow at first sight, it is actually a very large problem for men for numerous reasons.
Firstly, being chubby/fat says a lot about a persons character eg. lazy, lack self control, maybe comfort eating etc. So being only has negative connotations about a person. Now consider that you have to work, date, marry, and have children with these women meaning that their problems quickly become your problems as well.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Alex_Olney

Well, although it looks petty and shallow at first sight, it is actually a very large problem for men for numerous reasons.
Firstly, being chubby/fat says a lot about a persons character eg. lazy, lack self control, maybe comfort eating etc. So being only has negative connotations about a person. Now consider that you have to work, date, marry, and have children with these women meaning that their problems quickly become your problems as well.

Latest

Trending

Trending