The Student Room Group

I'm completely work-shy. Anyone else?

Come and join my club, guys.

I got all A*'s at GCSE, All A's at A-level, a 1st class degree in a science subject, and then since graduating in 2008 I've just sat on my arse in this very spot, haha.

When I go into a shop and see people working there, I feel panicked at the thought of doing their job. It's horrific, just the worst way to spend time. I worked in a factory once, for three days, then quit because it was just too awful. All jobs are disgustingly boring.

I guess I earn about £150/month from odd bits and pieces, but I'm on benefits for the rest, just living in a shared house of degenerates and no-hopers.

I applied for a handful of sciencey uni jobs at some point but got no response. They were only like 12k positions, barely worth doing anyway. I assume the best I could get is supermarket work, and there's no way I'm doing that. I'd sooner just **** off abroad and suck dicks in an Egypt for food.

know wat i meen?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Lol. People like me look up to you OP :yep:
I'm at work for the first time since being sent home with illness on Wednesday afternoon. I'm tired because I couldn't sleep last night, I'm the only one in in the IT dept today too and you know what, I'm glad to be back. Sitting around watching day time TV is ****ing boring.
Reply 3
Original post by mikeyd85
I'm at work for the first time since being sent home with illness on Wednesday afternoon. I'm tired because I couldn't sleep last night, I'm the only one in in the IT dept today too and you know what, I'm glad to be back. Sitting around watching day time TV is ****ing boring.

Yeh mate, you love your work so much you're on a TSR thread titled 'I'm completely work-shy Anyone else?'' You dumb son?
Reply 4
Original post by cttp_ngaf
Come and join my club, guys.

I got all A*'s at GCSE, All A's at A-level, a 1st class degree in a science subject, and then since graduating in 2008 I've just sat on my arse in this very spot, haha.

When I go into a shop and see people working there, I feel panicked at the thought of doing their job. It's horrific, just the worst way to spend time. I worked in a factory once, for three days, then quit because it was just too awful. All jobs are disgustingly boring.

I guess I earn about £150/month from odd bits and pieces, but I'm on benefits for the rest, just living in a shared house of degenerates and no-hopers.

I applied for a handful of sciencey uni jobs at some point but got no response. They were only like 12k positions, barely worth doing anyway. I assume the best I could get is supermarket work, and there's no way I'm doing that. I'd sooner just **** off abroad and suck dicks in an Egypt for food.

know wat i meen?

Not really lol. Don't you get fed up of sitting at home doing nothing all day? It does my head in after a while if I'm ill. The job market is rubbish at the moment so it is understandable that someone like yourself with amazing A-levels and degree is reluctant to apply for 12k jobs, but things will improve, just keep applying even if the things you are applying for ask for more experience than you might have.

You never know :smile: Good luck!
Reply 5
Well done for admitting benefit fraud on the internet!
Reply 6
Original post by NeonSkies
Not really lol. Don't you get fed up of sitting at home doing nothing all day? It does my head in after a while if I'm ill. The job market is rubbish at the moment so it is understandable that someone like yourself with amazing A-levels and degree is reluctant to apply for 12k jobs, but things will improve, just keep applying even if the things you are applying for ask for more experience than you might have.

You never know :smile: Good luck!

Gawd, you're such a girl, being all cheery and ghey about it.

No I don't get bored, for some reason. I used to get down in uni holidays when suddenly I had nothing to do, but these days actually I'm ok just getting up, sitting down here, possibly eating, then going back to bed. I really enjoyed my uni lifestyle but I don't think I could ever really work in the field (biosciences), as it is actually 10x worse than the most boring factory jobs imaginable. It's the kind of stuff that only robots should do, not living, thinking humans.

There are a few jobs I think I'd like, but they all need to be **** that lets me use my vast intelligence, and not just **** around with routine, mundane tasks. I can't turn my brain off. Staring at a computer screen helps, though. It's calming.
Reply 7
Original post by MovingOn
Well done for admitting benefit fraud on the internet!

It's not fraud, you divtard. I'm completely entitled to all the benefits I receive.
Original post by Lamps08
Yeh mate, you love your work so much you're on a TSR thread titled 'I'm completely work-shy Anyone else?'' You dumb son?

This is purely speculation here, but maybe, he's on his lunch break?
I know your being surreal though in seriousness to everyone else if you've the skill & ingenuity start your own company, it's not compulsorary to work for someone else.
Reply 10
Original post by semiotically
I know your being surreal

:s-smilie:
Reply 11
Original post by semiotically
I know your being surreal though in seriousness to everyone else if you've the skill & ingenuity start your own company, it's not compulsorary to work for someone else.

I tried this and failed, the world of small businesses and armchair entrepreneurs is a really filthy place, and it's extremely hard to actually come out with some vaguely profitable business. After two years I was getting about £70 on a busy week, gross.

It is more fun than working for someone else, though. I hate lying and manipulating people, though, which is what any successful business has to do. Rarely do people actually want/need your **** before you start up - you have to create the need, convince people to use you. I hate it.

I also lack important social skills. And there are very, very few businesses I would want to actually be involved in, things I gave a **** about, you know.
Apparently professional spammers can earn a lot of money. Ever thought of looking into that? It's not a far cry from trolling.
I am in massive agreement. I graduated in 2003. I have done a grand total of 3 years work. FTW.

I probably wouldn't phrase things in quite the same way, but I am in general agreement on all accounts.

Yes, doing well at school/university is interesting and requires thought and imagination, whilst most real life jobs just require an amazing capacity for tedium and sitting at a desk or standing around a warehouse from 9 to 5:30.

Yes, when I claim the dole (not doing so right at the moment, but often do) I couldn't give a care in the world whether this upsets all the people who still actually believe that work achieves anything other than shifting money from one group of people to another group of people (with exceedingly few exceptions).

Yes, I used to get bored within the first few weeks of a school holiday when I had nothing to do, but that boredom has now totally vanished. I would probably maintain my current unemployed lifestyle forever if I could - wake up around 9, browse the internet, read books, study books, do a bit of exercise, go to bed.
(edited 13 years ago)
I really aspire to be like you OP when I go onto uni and graduate. Excuse me but I have WORK TO DO.

Judging by your one neg rep gem. I believe you are a troll. But meh. Let the mods decide.
Reply 15
If you guys are regarding 12k/year jobs as 'low paid' then you need a kick up your asses for making lame excuses to get away from the world of work. 12k/year is £250 a week. I don't call that low pay unless someone wants to enlighten me.
Reply 16
Original post by Dogatonic
Apparently professional spammers can earn a lot of money. Ever thought of looking into that? It's not a far cry from trolling.

Oh really? I could be interested in that, PM me some info.

Original post by James Gregory
I am in massive agreement. I graduated in 2003. I have done a grand total of 3 years work. FTW.

I probably wouldn't phrase things in quite the same way, but I am in general agreement on all accounts.

Yes, doing well at school/university is interesting and requires thought and imagination, whilst most real life jobs just require an amazing capacity for tedium and sitting at a desk or standing around a warehouse from 9 to 5:30.

Yes, when I claim the dole (not doing so right at the moment, but often do) I couldn't give a care in the world whether this upsets all the people who still actually believe that work achieves anything other than shifting money from one group of people to another group of people (with exceedingly few exceptions).

Yes, I used to get bored within the first few weeks of a school holiday when I had nothing to do, but that boredom has no totally vanished. I would probably maintain my current unemployed lifestyle forever if I could - wake up around 9, browse the internet, read books, study books, do a bit of exercise, go to bed.

Innit brah. Why ****ing bother? I'm not proud that I get benefits, but I'll take them while they're offered to me. Unless I find a job I enjoy doing (and there are things I enjoy doing) I doubt I'll bother.
I have various hobbies and interests that help me drive my mind further into insanity, and enough money to eat - what more could I need?

What work have you done since you graduated, what sort of stuff? And how was it?

I'll tell you one job I enjoyed - after my A-levels I worked for three weeks assisting the care taker at a primary school (my mum's a teacher so I got it through her). It was actually really fun, different jobs every day and a great deal of freedom - so long as a certain end result was achieved, I could do stuff however I saw fit. Plus schools are quite fun places.

I had quite a bit of free time so used to go and sleep on gym mats in the hall, or climb on stuff and practice handstands. Once I even got a bus into town, watched Batman Begins, came back and no one knew I had gone :colone:

Original post by House of Jonny
I really aspire to be like you OP when I go onto uni and graduate.

That's cool, man.

Original post by House of Jonny
Excuse me but I have WORK TO DO.

You need to sort your attitude out, young man. Why are you doing work?
Reply 17
Original post by Dekota-XS
If you guys are regarding 12k/year jobs as 'low paid' then you need a kick up your asses for making lame excuses to get away from the world of work. 12k/year is £250 a week. I don't call that low pay unless someone wants to enlighten me.

lol, it's £6.25 per hour. What's the ****ing point? I earn more than that just sitting here jerking off.

I have no real material desires or conventional ambitions, but if I was going to work I'd want a lot more money than that. Basically working full time for 12k would make me much, much worse off than I am now. I get my rent paid for me, living in a small ****ty room in a nice area, and I have enough money for food and some savings if I really wanted to do something else.

If I worked in that kind of job then basically I'd have like £500 "spare" money per month, or £6k/year, which wouldn't allow me to do anything interesting whatsoever, and I also lose most of my waking hours for five days of each week. Not a cool trade, in my eyes.
Reply 18
Wow you'd only have 6k a year spare? ONLY? Some people don't have anything, they struggle to make the simplest of ends meet, and here you are, with a degree and clearly (academically) smart enough to work and you 'cant be bothered'.

Your disgusting, despicable and self-centred. It's time to grow up.
Reply 19
Original post by Aamon
Wow you'd only have 6k a year spare? ONLY?

Yep I'm pretty sure that's right.

Original post by Aamon
Some people don't have anything, they struggle to make the simplest of ends meet, and here you are, with a degree and clearly (academically) smart enough to work and you 'cant be bothered'.

Correct. I'm not sure what the point is here, though. Will my being bothered to work in a **** job somehow help those people who struggle for money?

And I'm clearly not smart enough to work. Academic ability means **** all in the real world. I'm just really, really good at exams, basically.

Original post by Aamon
Your disgusting, despicable and self-centred.

*You're

Original post by Aamon
It's time to grow up.

Show me how! I just need help.

Quick Reply