The Student Room Group

Simon Cowell set for a knighthood... for "services to music"

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thunder_chunky
I don't think a knighthood means very much these days.
It's devalued greatly judging by some of the people that have recieved them.

I agree. The entire honours system has gone that way in my opinion.
Reply 61
as much as i don't like the guy he has made an impact in the music industry with american idol, x factor producing talented people like leona lewis, jls, kelly clarkson n jennifer hudson. And even tho this x factor has proven how much of a fame hungry guy he is, he does do alot for charity through music aswell. so basically eventhough i have lost most of my respect for the guy, i think if everyone else is getting one he should get one too!! lol
Reply 62
I think he deserves one. His achievements are easily on par with Sir (Saint) George slaying the Dragon.
Reply 63
Original post by Dirac Delta Function

no but srs, why has Stephen Hawking not got a Knighthood yet for services to science and science popularisation? He even has a better voice than Cowell's singers FFS.

Original post by Alex_Olney
Simon Cowell is to receive a knighthood before Stephen Fry?

The world has TRULY gone mad.

Because they're atheists?
Original post by Drewski
If we ignore for a fact that the whole story this thread is based on is inaccurate, untrue and an attempt at stirring controversy, there is nothing wrong with recognising success, benevolence and philanthropy. That is essentially what the honours system does these days, recommended by the Government - not the Queen - as most people seem to forget.

It is patently clear you don't like Cowell's methods or the 'travestoes' he's unleashed on the country. That is merely your opinion. It is not fact. That someone has a different opinion to you is not so much of a jump of logic, surely? Sure, Cowell's made himself tens of millions of pounds off the back of the programme and his decades in the pop music industry before that, but he's also used his position to raise tens of millions for charities around the world. Recognition of that fact is liable to bring these causes again to the front of people's minds and again raise money. Is that really an occasion to be sneered at and mocked?

How is it inaccurate and untrue? I have no problem with recognising success, and if he was being given the award for his charity work then I wouldnt have a problem with it. I object to it because in my opinion he has done much more harm than good to the industry.
Reply 65
Original post by DaveSmith99
How is it inaccurate and untrue? I have no problem with recognising success, and if he was being given the award for his charity work then I wouldnt have a problem with it. I object to it because in my opinion he has done much more harm than good to the industry.

The two articles being used to support the argument are either from May this year referring to the June Honours List - which he wasn't on - or from the Mail which used the exact same text as the earlier article, clearly just regurgitating it in typical tabloid lazy journalism style.

So, if in fact he was being considered/given this award [which I highly, highly doubt] then it would be for his charity work. Spielberg was given his honorary knighthood in recognition for his charity work, as was Paul McCartney, but their awards were made for Services to Film and Music respectively, because that's the field they used to gain their recognition in oreder to be able to do good.
Reply 66

X factor is about marketing, not about talent. When the marketing money dries up then the artist is probably going to fail. Last years winners new single went in the chart in 70's-80's the other week.

Biffy's new album would have already been paid for, they are headlining festivals and playing wembly stadium now. They arent some tiny little band, they didnt need X factor.

X factor has been very bad for the music industry. Artists shouldnt be able to go on a tv show for a few weeks singing other peoples songs and then come out of it with a million pound record deal, and a team of song writers. All these people on the X factor would have been able to make it without it if they were good enough and put enough effort it.

To people really think that the likes of Jedward and JLS are good for music?

I have no idea why you've quoted me because you seem to have ignored everything I said and just launched into an "I HATE X FACTOR ARTISTS!!!" rage like everyone else.

And if you must know, Simon Cowell now has precisely nothing to do with the careers of JLS nor Jedward.
Reply 67
Original post by Mr. Orange

someone is surely having a laugh here

I wish they were...

Giving Simon Cowell a knighthood for his services to music is like giving Adolf Hitler the nobel peace prize.
Reply 68
Original post by sammyrj
And if you must know, Simon Cowell now has precisely nothing to do with the careers of JLS nor Jedward.

Firstly, I'm quite interested in where you got this information from. Secondly, I'd like to remind you that his show set their careers up in the first place.
Original post by lovely_me

I didn't give you my permission to use that.

This would be like giving Hitler an award for services to humanity.

Edit: damn, beaten.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 70
Original post by jimbobur

Firstly, I'm quite interested in where you got this information from. Secondly, I'd like to remind you that his show set their careers up in the first place.

Well, JLS are signed to Epic and Jedward are signed to Universal. Simon has nothing to do with those labels.
Reply 71
Original post by sammyrj
Well, JLS are signed to Epic and Jedward are signed to Universal. Simon has nothing to do with those labels.

I repeat my previous statement: His show set thier careers up in the first place.
Reply 72

I repeat my previous statement: His show set thier careers up in the first place.

Ignoring the fact that the original point I made was with regards to career involvement "now", I'll reply to your point: so what? The only reason they've been as successful as they have is the extent to which people like them. Jedward are a near nonentity now, and JLS are a successful boyband. I wouldn't expect you to be fawning over a boyband wherever they happened to come from, so why does it make a difference that they're an X Factor launched group? You're not their target market, so get over it.
Reply 73
Original post by TheRealDarthVader

Edit: damn, beaten.

Muhahahaha! :colone:
Original post by sammyrj
Ignoring the fact that the original point I made was with regards to career involvement "now", I'll reply to your point: so what? The only reason they've been as successful as they have is the extent to which people like them. Jedward are a near nonentity now, and JLS are a successful boyband. I wouldn't expect you to be fawning over a boyband wherever they happened to come from, so why does it make a difference that they're an X Factor launched group? You're not their target market, so get over it.

Ignoring the fact that you never said anything about Cowell not being involved now or then, without him JLS might not have been successful, you would certainly hope they would not be seen as they cant sing or cant write songs. Jedward certainly wouldnt, and a nonentity? Put jedward in google news and there are literally hundreds of news articles about them this month.
Reply 75

Ignoring the fact that you never said anything about Cowell not being involved now or then...

"And if you must know, Simon Cowell now has precisely nothing to do with the careers of JLS nor Jedward."

...without him JLS might not have been successful, you would certainly hope they would not be seen as they cant sing or cant write songs. Jedward certainly wouldnt, and a nonentity? Put jedward in google news and there are literally hundreds of news articles about them this month.

As far as I'm aware JLS cowrote most of their most recent album, and they sing perfectly adequately. I'm not a fan and I don't own any of their music, but I'm not quite sure I understand this begrudging mentality. What difference does it make to you whether they release music and are successful or not? And saying "because it's all over the radio!!" doesn't count - if you don't like pop music you shouldn't be listening to Capital FM or the major Radio One shows in the first place.

Most of those Jedward articles are from crappy celebrity-spying blogs, which would report on every time Kerry Katona scratched her arse if they could. If you read those you deserve all the awful exposure to the likes of Jedward you get.
Original post by sammyrj
"And if you must know, Simon Cowell now has precisely nothing to do with the careers of JLS nor Jedward."

As far as I'm aware JLS cowrote most of their most recent album, and they sing perfectly adequately. I'm not a fan and I don't own any of their music, but I'm not quite sure I understand this begrudging mentality. What difference does it make to you whether they release music and are successful or not? And saying "because it's all over the radio!!" doesn't count - if you don't like pop music you shouldn't be listening to Capital FM or the major Radio One shows in the first place.

Most of those Jedward articles are from crappy celebrity-spying blogs, which would report on every time Kerry Katona scratched her arse if they could. If you read those you deserve all the awful exposure to the likes of Jedward you get.

And their album is awful, some of the lyrics are hilariously bad, and after the horrendous amount of auto tune they do sound fine.

Jedward also have their own TV show, probably going to be doing eurovision and all over the TV doing adverts.

It annoys me because when I go out to bars and clubs I have to listen to this ****e, when I go on facebook I have to read about this ****e and when I watch TV I have to see this ****e, all while there are artists with 1000 times more talent, and try 1000 times harder stuggling to make a living.
Reply 77
Original post by sammyrj
Ignoring the fact that the original point I made was with regards to career involvement "now"

That doesn't matter. He set the ball rolling, that was my point.

Original post by sammyrj

Jedward are a near nonentity now, and JLS are a successful boyband.

JLS are likely to have the same shelf life as every other boyband to come off the fame factory conveyor belt.

Original post by sammyrj
so why does it make a difference that they're an X Factor launched group?

It doesn't. That was never my point.
If you have actually played music and worked your way up from a 'grassroot' level as I have
and play music simply for its own sake, then maybe you would understand why it is irritating
that there are so many people out there that just want to be musicians in order to get famous.

Original post by sammyrj
You're not their target market, so get over it.

And this forbids me from commenting, how exactly?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending