The Student Room Group

Donate blood

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Einheri

Original post by Einheri
I have a massive phobia of medical needles (I've had various piercings without batting an eyelid, but in a medical context nooooo) and having blood extracted makes me verge on fainting. I had a blood test recently (which I only consented to because I was seriously ill) and nearly had a panic attack in the waiting room, so I'm going to pass on a massive needle and ten times as much blood loss.

I have a needle phobia, felt faint, felt sick, cried the whole way through donating, but the feeling afterwards was great.

And if you don't believe I'm needle phobic, I slapped an 8 month pregnant nurse because she was trying to inject me (wasn't a conscious decision!)
Can't donate myself but this body will be going to medical science when I'm as good as dead.
Original post by Serano

Original post by Serano
I refuse to donate to an organisation which would disciminate on the basis of someone being a homosexual. You can test blood for HIV so why would you specifically stop homosexuals from giving blood? It's ridiculous. It's like sticking all black people in prison because they're more likely to commit a crime..

I didn't donate "to an organisation", I donated to the person who's life I helped. How self-righteous are you to deny someone life because you feel the organisation has prejudices when actually it is due to safety? Read the thread, it's been explained many times why homosexuals can't give blood. Get off your high horse and go and help someone's life.
Reply 123
Original post by greeneyedgirl
just donated today =D

How was the experience?
Reply 124
i hate needles. however, i recently discovered i can't donate blood anyway because i had a blood transfusion :biggrin:
I would have around this time of year usually buuuuut, having spent several weeks in hospital myself bleeding, apparently I'm not allowed to. Psht.
Original post by Serano
I refuse to donate to an organisation which would disciminate on the basis of someone being a homosexual. You can test blood for HIV so why would you specifically stop homosexuals from giving blood? It's ridiculous. It's like sticking all black people in prison because they're more likely to commit a crime..

My brother is gay and my best friend is too, but this doesn't stop me from donating. The blood you donate doesn't go to the NHS, it goes to the people's who's life it saves. I don't agree with not allowing homosexuals to donate, but it doesn't mean I can't. Swallow your pride please.
Reply 127

:rofl:
I donated last month, was funny when I closed my eyes all the nurses thought I'd fainted.
Our accomodation organised it so it was very easy, didn't have to worry about making an appointment. :smile:
Original post by ragaa

Original post by ragaa
How was the experience?

Not too bad! Nurses were absolutely lovely!

Okay so it hurt a little bit when needle went in and out, but was okay! Less painful than getting cartilage pierced!

Plus felt like was doing a good deed =D
Got an appointment in 2 weeks. If the staff are going to be rude again that will be the last time I donate!
Reply 130
Original post by DrunkenMaster
Got an appointment in 2 weeks. If the staff are going to be rude again that will be the last time I donate!

good :smile:

if they are rude, dnt stop donating, report them. :biggrin:
I've had a blood transfusion so can't. I'm on the register to donate everything else though.

Although if it wasn't for the said blood transfusion I wouldn't be here today so thanks so much to everybody who's donated. I strongly encourage everybody who can donate bloody to do so.
Reply 132
I'm going to donate blood this evening for the first time. EEK. I'm very scared of needles but i want to do it :s-smilie:.
This page has made me more confident :smile:
Reply 133
Original post by Serano

I'm gay and I do agree that this ban is unfounded and unfair, since a gay man is banned for life, regardless of being tested HIV- and being celibate since the test.

Though I still think that one should continue to give blood if they can, since it really is about saving lives.

If there was no ban, I would give as much blood as possible :ashamed2:
Original post by Sime
I'm gay and I do agree that this ban is unfounded and unfair

Unfair, yes. Unfounded, no.

Have you ever seen the blood collection things? They're packed, with good numbers of people waiting in case anyone misses an appointment.

Gay people have a much higher risk of HIV. Taking a gay person, means taking one less straight person because they're busy enough.
If they can only take one of those lots of blood, why would they take the one with a much higher risk of HIV, leaving them a donation down if you are one of the minority?

Yes, it's horrific discrimination, but unfounded? Far from it. It would be amazing if they could staff up enough to be able to take more donations, and if it gets to that point where there is free time on the collections, they should definitely get rid of that ruling. But for now, they need the blood, so they'd be idiots to take blood from gay people when it would reduce usable stocks. For anything else you'd have a point, but they need as much of the stuff as possible, it's for saving people's lives.
Reply 135
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-12020215

They're particularly desperate at the moment too...especially for O- folks.

I had to cancel my appointment last week though because I've had that horrible chesty cough that's been doing the rounds :frown:
I'm not allowed to donate blood because I had a transfusion... silly rule
Reply 137
I've donated 5 times now, I'm quietly awaiting my blue donor card....

Stock level for today

Original post by indieb

Original post by indieb
I'm going to donate blood this evening for the first time. EEK. I'm very scared of needles but i want to do it :s-smilie:.

Good luck!

I have complete needle phobia and it was fine. The nurses were lovely. I mentioned to them that I hate needles so they were extra nice and calming. Also once the needle is in, you really can't feel it. Count to 10 and you wont even realise it's there.

Stay strong and congrats on doing it.
Reply 139
Original post by indieb

Good Luck!. You'll be fine though I promise you :smile:.I've given you some +rep for being so brave

I have my 5th donation booked for 7th of January!.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply