The Student Room Group

How many pressies do your parents give you?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
:eek:I can't believe this decadence!!! My brothers and sisters and I each get a lump of coal and a beating.
Original post by ilovecoffee
i get one main present and then a couple of extra gifts. I personally dont see the point in getting 30 presents. Its the thought that count so id rather get a present i want than a whole load of crap i dont

Yes well as previously explained, I use Christmas as the opportunity to get things which need renewing. Eg, pjs, dressing gown, slippers, straighteners etc (only if necessary of course). And I choose the majority of the gifts so it's not things I don't want!
Original post by Jenny_C
Do you seriously enjoy being that spoilt?! I mean, that just sounds like such a waste of money to me.

I get about 3 from my parents usually.

Yes! It's usually things I need/need renewing/need replacing.

If it makes people feel any better, some of the gifts this year i've asked for are pretty ridiculous. For example, my Gran said is there anything you need? And I said yes, toilet roll, she thinks i'm joking, but i'm not. In all seriousness, i'd be chuffed this year to open things like toilet roll and toothpaste, it would keep me from buying it at uni!
Original post by DH-Biker
Yeah? My mum and my grandparents are all really close, but my Dad's side all live in Holland, so I think they try and work for both. Haha!
You like wrapping? Eurgh, I can't stand it. -____- I fail so badly at it...:colone:

I hate to sound so sexist but you're a guy so it's alrite! :lol: I've yet to find a guy who actually enjoys it/can do it properly. My Dad passes all his wrapping off to my Gran and me. My mate passes his wrapping off to me. And my ex did it himself, but whinged constantly that the state of it was appalling. Ha!
Reply 224
I only got one last year, and that horse died after like two or three months
Original post by hannah_dru
Thank you :smile: I've never really been bothered about presents but this year I decided I just couldn't care less. Hope the OP is grateful at least!

Same, we're not either but my mum has been retired since January and doesn't get a very good pension. My mum used to pick up odd bits but this year she hasn't really been able to do anything cos she feels dizzy all the time and can't get out much. I think appreciating goes a long way though.

Thanks, I hope you and your family have a lovely Christmas too :smile:

Of course i'm grateful! :smile:
Original post by DancinBallerina
What job does your dad do? . .My mum has worked xmas day in the past too (She's a midwife), but because she retires next November, this is her last xmas with the trust, so they've given her the entire xmas off :biggrin:).

Well that will be lovely for you's then right? Be a nice change :smile:

My Dad is a porter in a hospital. So he pushes people around, collects things like blood etc, and empties the bins :yep: nothing exciting as a midwife! :p:
I'm 18 and my brother is 23. My parents don't have a set number of present for Christmas but they have a set budget of £200 each.

Mine is usually made up of presents and my brothers is made up of a few presents and then the rest is money.

This year my Mum has admitted she has gone over budget by about £100 for me and will be giving my brother an extra £100 to make it even.

My presents are usually made up of 1 or 2 larger presents (this years is an eReader) and then DVDs, games and little random bits.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by CookieDoughLove
Well that will be lovely for you's then right? Be a nice change :smile:

My Dad is a porter in a hospital. So he pushes people around, collects things like blood etc, and empties the bins :yep: nothing exciting as a midwife! :p:

She came home the other week and said ''I've got the whole of xmas off'' lol, and she couldn't understand why. It wasn't until I said to her ''It's you're last xmas with the trust'', she said ''Ooo yea'', and she began to get a lil upset, as she's done 40years (I think) in the service. So it'll defo be nice to have her home for xmas :smile:

Does your dad work every xmas or was it just his turn to work it?? . .
I hate to sound so sexist but you're a guy so it's alrite! :lol: I've yet to find a guy who actually enjoys it/can do it properly. My Dad passes all his wrapping off to my Gran and me. My mate passes his wrapping off to me. And my ex did it himself, but whinged constantly that the state of it was appalling. Ha!

Yeah, that's true. I guess that kind of justifies it. Thank you for making me feel better about it. :colondollar: Haha!
I can pick a decent gift, you know? But when it comes to wrapping it starts off well and then goes wrong when I try and connect it all on the other side... :confused:
Either way, I 'managed' to do it, but it does look heinous... Still, it's just going to be ripped off anyway, though I'd kind'a like to keep it secret till its all off. :cool:
Original post by Ilora-Danon
Lol, we don't get £300+ cash... that's the difference.

:lolwut: Do you not ask for money then? I ask for money as my "main" gift from everyone. Anything else is just a "surprise" present.
Reply 231
For the past 3-4 years, I've only had like 3 presents :frown: I'm 17! :frown:

Edit: Oh! From parents.. Well then one..
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
:lolwut: Do you not ask for money then? I ask for money as my "main" gift from everyone. Anything else is just a "surprise" present.
Nope. If I did, I'd probably get about £100... but I get more like £300 worth of presents instead. I pick most of my presents too, so it's not like I get anything I don't want/need.
If I ask for something big, then usually it's just that and a few trinkets. But if not, then it's just lots of little trinkets.
Reply 234
Original post by Jenny_C
Do you seriously enjoy being that spoilt?! I mean, that just sounds like such a waste of money to me.

I get about 3 from my parents usually.

I wouldn't really call it spoilt, I get about the same. What's wrong with it? :dontknow:
Original post by DancinBallerina
She came home the other week and said ''I've got the whole of xmas off'' lol, and she couldn't understand why. It wasn't until I said to her ''It's you're last xmas with the trust'', she said ''Ooo yea'', and she began to get a lil upset, as she's done 40years (I think) in the service. So it'll defo be nice to have her home for xmas :smile:

Does your dad work every xmas or was it just his turn to work it?? . .

40 years. Wow. Thats a long time to work for someone init!

He has worked for the past 3 years I believe. I don't mind too much really, he goes in early (6), so get home for around 3, so in the meantime I make things like Christmas sugar cookies :love: plus, I never missed a Christmas with him as a child so i'm grateful for that.
Original post by .Ali.
I wouldn't really call it spoilt, I get about the same. What's wrong with it? :dontknow:

Exactly. If I have children in the future, I know i'll buy about the same. I don't see anything wrong with parents spoiling their kids. They probably enjoy it to be fair!
40 years. Wow. Thats a long time to work for someone init!

He has worked for the past 3 years I believe. I don't mind too much really, he goes in early (6), so get home for around 3, so in the meantime I make things like Christmas sugar cookies :love: plus, I never missed a Christmas with him as a child so i'm grateful for that.

Yea I know, 40years just seems farrr too long to be working for one employer lol. But she adores her job, bringing in new born babies into the world :smile:.

Ahh @ least he's not working all day, and will be home for the afternoon. If your household is like ours, then he'll be in time for dinner and the Queen speech (if you're into that sort of thing). :tongue:
Original post by IlexBlue
Depends on the cost of the presents.

If I'm getting one single expensive thing like an iPod, I'll get that alone.
If there's nothing in particular I'd like, it's several little things, like CDs, books, DVDs etc.

This. I need a new phone this year (parents divorced so that probably changes things) I dropped in the toilet :P (accidentally...)...OP you remind me of Dudley Dursley :P In terms of presents that is :smile:
Holy ****? At most, I get one big one. This year, I got a book and some money.
But wutwut? 30-40?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending