The Student Room Group

English and creative writing course ......

Hi :smile:
I was wondering who is considering an English and creative writing course? Or if anyone has done one ? I do love both reading and writing equally but do need a push to start writing something, so choosing this would make it easier and motivate me to write, BUT I've been told so many times it's a 'mickey mouse' degree which makes me sad, I don't understand why people who choose the arts are labelled stupid or have so, many occasions in my case (and when the teachers say it, it doesn't make you feel to good) –it’s just a different career option!! ANYWAY is anybody going to choose this as a degree ?? :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

And merry Christmas !! :smile:
Original post by Zoe Edwards
Hi :smile:
I was wondering who is considering an English and creative writing course? Or if anyone has done one ? I do love both reading and writing equally but do need a push to start writing something, so choosing this would make it easier and motivate me to write, BUT I've been told so many times it's a 'mickey mouse' degree which makes me sad, I don't understand why people who choose the arts are labelled stupid or have so, many occasions in my case (and when the teachers say it, it doesn't make you feel to good) –it’s just a different career option!! ANYWAY is anybody going to choose this as a degree ?? :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

And merry Christmas !! :smile:

If you're worried about the "mickey mouse" element to the course, either take an English Literature course, or an English Language & Literature course - they both host a healthy amount of creative writing.

Regarding the classification of the course as a "mickey mouse" one, it's mainly the creative writing part being less applicable to practical situations, and it doesn't provide one with the analytical rigour that a Literature course would.
I *nearly* chose a writing course, but didn't :smile: I wouldn't worry about what other people think about your degree, except of course future employers, but if this is something you want to do then go for it! Heck, I'm doing Film and TV Production, doesn't get more mickey mouse than that :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by chipskylark
I *nearly* chose a writing course, but didn't :smile: I wouldn't worry about what other people think about your degree, except of course future employers, but if this is something you want to do then go for it! Heck, I'm doing Film and TV Production, doesn't get more mickey mouse than that :smile:

Well I hope to have a career in writing, like an editor for a newspaper or along those lines, I will go for it! Thanks :smile: - I also considered doing Film, but I didn't do it for A level unfortunatly :frown:
Thats trailer is bluddy scary!!!!! aha, did you make it yourself ?
And well done for your offers, I thought you may have considered Falmouth, because it focuses on the arts?
:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending