The Student Room Group

North and South Korea

I'm probably wrong here but is there not a thread about the latest developments with North and South Korea? Russia called a meeting of the UN and South Korea's drill starts in a matter of hours. NK have threatened severe retaliation. And...well you know what the rest could be..

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
:party: :bhangra:

Interesting to see how this turns out.
Reply 2
Original post by ch0llima
:party: :bhangra:

Interesting to see how this turns out.

I can't believe a Father Ted fan would say this. I feel ashamed by association.
Reply 3
Original post by morris743
I can't believe a Father Ted fan would say this. I feel ashamed by association.

Feck off!
Reply 4
Reply 5
Interesting to see how this plays out indeed...

If the **** does hit the fan, though, I'll run straight up to a friend of mine who said nothing will happen, laugh in his face and demand the £10 bet be paid up... Equally, if nothing hits the fat, he'll run straight up to me and demand I pay up my debt...
Oh, war, please happen!
Reply 6

Nothing will happen. Conflicts between them have been going on for years. The latest air strikes just brought the subject back into the mainstream media. Having said that I wouldn't mind a nuclear war where every living thing died instantly and simultaneously.
Reply 7
What needs to happen is some sort of agreement where the US +China overthrow north korea then having US troops leave the region is some sort of deal. But China doesn't want a US ally with 28000 troops right next door nor does the US want to lose any grip it has on the region. I don't think any country wants to see north korea stick around. Tho even between China and the US, it would be very difficult to disarm north korea without major losses. In this day and age, no leader would risk major losses.
Brace yourself, lads.
I'm pretty sure the north will respond. Hopefully it won't go any further than that...
Original post by perrytheplatypus
I'm pretty sure the north will respond. Hopefully it won't go any further than that...

The DPRK has said it will retaliate if the ROK goes through with the drill. But didn't the ROK's defence minister say its air force would decimate the DPRK if it retaliates?

So, in theory, we have the Second Korean War on our hands.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Stalin
The DPRK has said it will retaliate if the ROK goes through with the drill. But didn't the ROK's defence minister say its air force would decimate the DPRK if it retaliates?

hmmm...I think you're right...

Maybe the DPRK won't retaliate to the air strike?

...okay, it's hopeless...
hmmm...I think you're right...

Maybe the DPRK won't retaliate to the air strike?

...okay, it's hopeless...

If the ROK sends it air force into the DPRK, rest assured, Seoul will be turned into dust.
Reply 13
Dec 20 (Reuters) - North Korea's military said on Monday it "was not worth reacting" to South Korea's military drill on the disputed island of Yeonpyeong, the North's state news agency KCNA reported.

"We felt it was no worth reacting one-by-one to military provocations," it quoted the North Korean People's Army Supreme Command as saying.

Earlier on Monday, South Korean marines fired hundreds of artillery rounds into South Korean waters to the southwest of the island in a drill similar to the one conducted in late November that triggered the North to shell the island, killing four people. (Reporting by Ju-min Park; Editing by Jeremy Laurence)
(edited 13 years ago)
It appears that the Chinese and Russians have finally told the trigger happy lunatics in North Korea to behave themselves.
They didn't react :eek:

I get the impression that the north made the south seen like the oppressor...probably just me though...
They didn't react :eek:

I get the impression that the north made the south seen like the oppressor...probably just me though...

The oppressor after it shelled one of its islands for an hour? Indeed, it definitely made it look like the oppressor.
Original post by Stalin
The oppressor after it shelled one of its islands for an hour? Indeed, it definitely made it look like the oppressor.

I was talking about this specific incident, not North Korea's image as a whole. Though if I was, I'd have to agree with you.
I was talking about this specific incident, not North Korea's image as a whole. Though if I was, I'd have to agree with you.

Perhaps you haven't been following the conflict, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. The South's drill this morning was conducted due to the North's shelling of its island a mere month or so ago; again, it's hardly the oppressor in the story (see the sinking of the Cheonan for details).
Reply 19
Meh. Most of that Songun, military-first "We hate the Americans" melodrama is merely propaganda to keep the lumpenproletariat scared and on a permanent war footing. The North Korean leadership know fine well they'll get steamrolled at the first time of trouble, and they are most definitely not stupid enough to try anything serious. This response is basically them brushing it off because they're likely unsure about what to do next, and also in denial about the fact that they know they can't win.

Bear in mind that many North Koreans still don't know jack about the outside world (especially the rural poor and working classes, although there is more outside information than ever before getting in and apparently people are becoming blasé about the propaganda), and their streets are lined with archaic anti-American propaganda going back to the 1960s. As far as I know, North Korean media never announced the fall of Baghdad in 2003 despite going on about the American Imperialist dogs etc. invading Iraq and I can't find any reference to 9/11 from their media either.

The North Korean military is a farce - outdated, underfed, poorly trained and poorly equipped. There is also a rumour that the chain of command has broken down which may explain the original artillery barrage.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending