The Student Room Group

People With Irish Backgrounds Voting For The BNP

I was looking at the european election results of 2009 and couldn't help but notice that one of the two seats the BNP won was in the North-West.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure a lot of people in that region have a lot irish ancestry do they not? So why did the north-west such a high percentage? 8%? So that's about 1 in 10 whites? Not counting the non-white vote?

The far right have always been very anti-Irish, from the days Oliver Cromwell, to the days "No Dogs, No Blacks, No Irish", to even the last time England played Ireland in football match when it was ended by combat 18 thugs in 1995.

Remember the fundemental rule is that Irish people are not Indigenously British so if you have any Irish ancestry in you at all you are not fully 100% an indigenous Brit.

If there's anything worse than BNP voters its BNP voters with Irish surnames. If you are one of them, you should hang your heads in shame, as goes with some of those people in North West voting that time. Total and utter disgrace.
Reply 1
Personally I think anyone that supports the BNP's ideals should hang their head in shame. :erm:
Reply 2
Just because in the past far right parties were anti-Irish it doesn't mean the BNP is. The BNP consider the Irish to be indigenous Brits because they are native to the British Isles.

But I agree with Dusty12.
Clearly some just simply agree with their policies. The BNP have never exhibited any hostility towards the Irish, after all the Irish are also "indigenous" to the British Isles.

Still i think its foolish for the Irish to support them. I have no doubts that when the BNP are finished hating Muslims, Blacks, Jews ect, they will then turn on the next minorty, ie the Irish people. Thats how a fascist party keeps its power, there always has to be an "enemy".
Reply 4
You see I always thought Indigenous Briton (if there is such a term) applied to people only from the island of Britain, i.e. England, Scotland and Wales. So Irish people were not and cannot be indigenous because they were from a different island. Plus aren't the Irish meant to be distinctly racially different from the English Scots and Welsh?
Reply 5
Original post by Greenlaner
The BNP have never exhibited any hostility towards the Irish, .

Yes they have. The BNP are associated with Loyalist terrorists in the 6 counties. Griffler's daughter lives near Belfast and plays in a proddy flute band.

The BNP also want to reincorporate the Irish Republic into the UK :cool: .

All this doesn't stop lots of deracinated Irish from supporting them (or the EDL - most of whose leaders have Irish names), but real Irish people regard these types as scum who've gone native.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
I live in the North West in Cumbria (I believe and please correct me if I'm wrong) the area Nick Griffin represents in the EU or something?
Still, the sign of the BNPs support is everywhere here, yet the Cumbrian Constituencies mostly voted Conservative (suppose our Conservative MP is one hell'uva guy, shame he's Tory), I suppose they thought the BNP wouldn't get in and resigned to voting Tory instead...
Meh, either way; you can really see their support here. Literally 9/10 people I know at school believe strongly that "the dirty immigrants" should "leave this country and return to their own ****-hole"... It does all become quite tedious... Especially in Gov Pol seen as I'm the ONLY non-BNP supporter in there... Including the Teacher, so as soon as the policies on Immigration come up in Ideologies, I suddenly become a shield... -___-
Still, life goes on. BNP members, as far as I'm concerned, are nothing more then middle-class Hunting-Sportsmen, working class people in menial jobs and students who are too ****ing idiotic to think for themselves and take up their parents prejudices against anyone who isn't "white and British"... We've even got a family of Hitler Youths...

/ rant.
Reply 7
Original post by juanmodesto
Yes they have. The BNP are associated with Loyalist terrorists in the 6 counties. Griffler's daughter lives near Belfast and plays in a proddy flute band.

The BNP also want to reincorporate the Irish Republic into the UK :cool: .

All this doesn't stop lots of deracinated Irish from supporting them (or the EDL - most of whose leaders have Irish names), but real Irish people regard these types as scum who've gone native.

Well I don't agree with their views, but it's still not racism against the Irish. It's kind of the opposite really. While they want to send the "immigrants" (read: non-whites) back to "where they came from", they want the Irish people to be fully incorporated into the British state.
Reply 8
Haha, irish people voting for a party with "British" in its name.

In all seriousness, if irish people did vote for the BNP, it was a minority.
Reply 9
I thought Griffin's policy was "anyone indigenous to the British Isles"?

Anyone who votes for the BNP is a moron, whether they are Irish or otherwise.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending