The Student Room Group

Police assault - section 5?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Steph90
If you are not trolling, do no pay the fine and go to a solicitor immediately. Ask them to obtain CCTV from the Bar immediately (Not the police, but your solicitors.. before it is destroyed etc.)

If the attack against you happened at the entrance of the Bar, i'm sure it will be covered by CCTV. In which case you should press charges against the police officers involved.

What is extremely funny here is all the TSR members who have never been outside saying the police never attack anybody without reason. Get real - it happens EVERY DAY. Firstly, everybody is human, just like the police and they make mistakes all the time, just like everybody else. So even when the police officer may have the best of intentions, they sometimes get the wrong person.

Further to this, the police is full of incompetent, egotistical, power freaks who like to bully other people. I've witnessed it many times and experienced it on the odd ocassion too. The police are not all that they are made out to be in the press. Yes - sometimes they get a rough time in the press, but mostly the attitude is 'The outright majority of police officers are great, there are just a few rotten apples.'

The truth on the other hand is, that there is problem that goes to the core of our police force and it needs to be addressed, instead of sentimental and selective reporting.

Thankyou for that, can anybody request a copy of the cctv, or does it have to be a solicitor? - i will try the legal aid route, just worried about costs - i mean £80 is bad enough, but if i end up having to pay £100's in solicitor fees im going to have to "facepalm" myself!
Reply 21
I highly doubt your version of events is exactly what happened...In a public area like that (maximum CCTV coverage as its a city centre bar, door staff and dozens of witnesses) I dont think even the most dumbass policeman looking to put the boot into someone would do it there without provocation...

If you feel like you were beaten up by the police for no reason (and with injuries like that if they did do this without any resistance from you yourfully within your right to, though I doubt it was a one-sided fight) then go into your local police station and complain. You should have all the details you need on the paperwork you were given when released / fined.
Reply 22
Original post by Shuvel
I highly doubt your version of events is exactly what happened...In a public area like that (maximum CCTV coverage as its a city centre bar, door staff and dozens of witnesses) I dont think even the most dumbass policeman looking to put the boot into someone would do it there without provocation...

If you feel like you were beaten up by the police for no reason (and with injuries like that if they did do this without any resistance from you yourfully within your right to, though I doubt it was a one-sided fight) then go into your local police station and complain. You should have all the details you need on the paperwork you were given when released / fined.

Yes, absolutely no resistance from myself - not that i would have resisted, but i didnt have the chance to! - the smoking area is outside, to the right of the bar - the CCTV is directly above there pointing out into the street, which brings me back to one of my questions... If the CCTV did not pick it up (as i was possibly not in range) or it somehow goes 'missing', does anybody know if the police's version of events are automatically taken as fact?

I am 100% that i was assaulted by the police, but i dont think your advice about going into the station to complain is valid - do you not think that if they know they assaulted me for no reason they will not concoct a story between them? - and trust me it was a 'one sided fight' if you can even call a guy laying limp on the floor a fight!
Reply 23
Original post by zippydude
Yes, absolutely no resistance from myself - not that i would have resisted, but i didnt have the chance to! - the smoking area is outside, to the right of the bar - the CCTV is directly above there pointing out into the street, which brings me back to one of my questions... If the CCTV did not pick it up (as i was possibly not in range) or it somehow goes 'missing', does anybody know if the police's version of events are automatically taken as fact?

I am 100% that i was assaulted by the police, but i dont think your advice about going into the station to complain is valid - do you not think that if they know they assaulted me for no reason they will not concoct a story between them? - and trust me it was a 'one sided fight' if you can even call a guy laying limp on the floor a fight!

What are you wanting exactly? The direct line to the Justice League so they can come kick the **** out of those darn corrupt cops?
If you want to make a complaint and don't feel you'd get anywhere at a police station then go here http://www.ipcc.gov.uk/
I highly doubt theres any chance of there being none or 'missing' CCTV, and you can't make professional witnesses such as door staff disapear or the dozens of people who would be around you, this isn't the 70's.
Reply 24
Original post by Shuvel
What are you wanting exactly? The direct line to the Justice League so they can come kick the **** out of those darn corrupt cops?
If you want to make a complaint and don't feel you'd get anywhere at a police station then go here http://www.ipcc.gov.uk/
I highly doubt theres any chance of there being none or 'missing' CCTV, and you can't make professional witnesses such as door staff disapear or the dozens of people who would be around you, this isn't the 70's.

For your comment about the IPCC, please check how it works - i think that just shows you know nothing at all - to be able to complain to the IPCC you have to lodge a complaint at the arresting station first. If you are not satisfied with their 'internal investigation' then you can escalate it to the IPCC. After Friday, i wouldn't trust them as far as i could throw the tubby one that bust my finger!

No, there was no door staff present from what i remember, as i said the smoking area is to the side of the bar, and from what i can tell walking past there again yesterday, no CCTV covers the area where i was standing - the only group of possible witnesses were half leg-less, and how am i going to contact them?, or is that where the 'justice league' comes into your comment?

If you dont have anything constructive to add, please stop commenting - there is a big world out there son, and sometimes the authorities get it wrong. I came here looking for advice on 'section 5', specifically if the police can give no information on what part of 'section 5' i breached, what my chances of defending myself are if CCTV and witnesses are non-existant, and the costs likely to be involved.

This site seemed like a good choice based on all the students arrested for 'section 5' offences recently, surely there must be some in the same position as I?

Do you have any advice on those points? or are you just going to spout off again about things you obviously know nothing about?

Please go back and hide behind your keyboard, one day it may happen to you.
Reply 25
Thankyou for that, can anybody request a copy of the cctv, or does it have to be a solicitor? - i will try the legal aid route, just worried about costs - i mean £80 is bad enough, but if i end up having to pay £100's in solicitor fees im going to have to "facepalm" myself!

Go to a solicitor, they won't give it to you themselves unless you tell the police etc. and the Police will be far from helpful if it will reveal crimes committed by them.

Don't worry about costs, just tell them from the start that you don't work/have money/are a student and they will know what to do (apply for a representation order then their costs are covered).
Reply 26
For your comment about the IPCC, please check how it works - i think that just shows you know nothing at all - to be able to complain to the IPCC you have to lodge a complaint at the arresting station first. If you are not satisfied with their 'internal investigation' then you can escalate it to the IPCC. After Friday, i wouldn't trust them as far as i could throw the tubby one that bust my finger!

No, there was no door staff present from what i remember, as i said the smoking area is to the side of the bar, and from what i can tell walking past there again yesterday, no CCTV covers the area where i was standing - the only group of possible witnesses were half leg-less, and how am i going to contact them?, or is that where the 'justice league' comes into your comment?

If you dont have anything constructive to add, please stop commenting - there is a big world out there son, and sometimes the authorities get it wrong. I came here looking for advice on 'section 5', specifically if the police can give no information on what part of 'section 5' i breached, what my chances of defending myself are if CCTV and witnesses are non-existant, and the costs likely to be involved.

This site seemed like a good choice based on all the students arrested for 'section 5' offences recently, surely there must be some in the same position as I?

Do you have any advice on those points? or are you just going to spout off again about things you obviously know nothing about?

Please go back and hide behind your keyboard, one day it may happen to you.

Section 5 relates to using offensive language and generally shouting and being abusive most of the time (Before you claim I apparently know nothing about this I have friends and family in the police, hence even replying) also double checked via http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/p_to_r/public_order_offences/#Section_5

using threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or disorderly behaviour likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress - section 5 of the Act;

If there isn't CCTV then fair enough but most clubs have private CCTV covering most areas in and around their premises, and theres the "official" CCTV, just found it extremely strange you just happened to be standing in a blindspot.

I know full well how making a complaint works, I just got the impression the whole point of your post was that you didn't feel comfortable / were scared to go report it to your local station, hence that method means you don't run the risk of coming into direct contact with the officers you dealt with on the night. My mistake.
To be honest if you were as injured as you said you were Im surprised you didn't make a complaint at the station or get seen by a police doctor.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending