The Student Room Group

Attitude in University

Have you ever noticed that university students get kind of stingy esp in the final year about their work? Everyone is friendly, and joking and stuff, but then when it comes to coursework, they don't want to see your face. They don't want to help each other, it's like they want to get the highesst mark and they want everyone to fail.
Reply 1
Yep. Don't know what else to say.
Reply 2
More like, they don't want to be kicked out of university for collusion because somebody else cannot be bothered to do any work.
Reply 3
I disagree
Original post by n1r4v
Yep. Don't know what else to say.

How do you feel about it though? it ****ing pisses me off! I will help anyone, and I don't even care if they don't help me. But what pisses me off is cowards - people who do not want to help you but won't say it to your face. Like there is this boy who gave me his phone number so I can call him when I need help with work yh, and he never ever picks up. And when I see him and say why didn't you pick up he makes up the most silly excuses. He treats his work like treasure. Or this other boy who whenever I ask him "how is your coursework going?" he puts on a fake laugh and says "I haven't started yet". ARGH! I feel like stabbing him in the neck with a sharp pencil.

If you don't want to help, fine. But atleast have the balls to tell me to my face!

/rant
Reply 5
Original post by Prokaryotic_crap
How do you feel about it though? it ****ing pisses me off! I will help anyone, and I don't even care if they don't help me. But what pisses me off is cowards - people who do not want to help you but won't say it to your face. Like there is this boy who gave me his phone number so I can call him when I need help with work yh, and he never ever picks up. And when I see him and say why didn't you pick up he makes up the most silly excuses. He treats his work like treasure. Or this other boy who whenever I ask him "how is your coursework going?" he puts on a fake laugh and says "I haven't started yet". ARGH! I feel like stabbing him in the neck with a sharp pencil.

If you don't want to help, fine. But atleast have the balls to tell me to my face!

/rant

Lol, I don't blame you. We don't have many coursework assignment things but people seem to be quite stingy with revision notes. I revise from books anyway so it doesn't really affect me, but I've observed people being quite aloof when talking about sharing notes.

I completely agree about that "I haven't started yet" thing though. I don't see why people lie about how much revision they've done / how far they are through their work.
Original post by cybergrad
More like, they don't want to be kicked out of university for collusion because somebody else cannot be bothered to do any work.

It's not even that, esp me I don't even like asking for help from other students. And when I do it's only simple stuff like "I don't understand this question. What is it asking" or "I took approach X, how did you aproach this question" - and they still won't help.

I do maths, and so if you do maths you will know that it is good to exchange ideas and stuff.
Reply 7
I have a girl (I would say friend, but she isn't really) in my lectures who hardly ever turns up, doesn't talk to me unless she needs something and never does any work but expects me to get all the notes and work for her.

So I wind her up on purpose. She deserves it.

It's not even that, esp me I don't even like asking for help from other students. And when I do it's only simple stuff like "I don't understand this question. What is it asking" or "I took approach X, how did you aproach this question" - and they still won't help.

I do maths, and so if you do maths you will know that it is good to exchange ideas and stuff.

At the end of the day, you're a university for yourself?! :lolwut:
Reply 9
They don't want to help each other

I don't know about you, but I encountered a lot of people in school and university who were constantly looking for "help" from their friends rather than actually working things out for themselves.

I resented them: the rest of us were clever and more practical, and yet they expected to get similar marks. I certainly wouldn't assist them.
I don't know about you but I know quite a lot of people who leave revision and essays to the last minute, whereas I always try to start things early and I'm known as a hard worker. I don't always like to help people and tell them what I'm doing/what I know if they aren't prepared to put the effort in because then they'll be getting a high mark from what I've told them (and they usually then get a better mark than me for some reason). I'll gladly share some ideas but as I'm paying for my degree I wanna get the best I can out of it.
Reply 11
Humans only care about themselves. It is programmed into us. Even if you think you care about others, you don't and everything you do is for your own good.
Uh maybe they're just trying to make sure they get stuff done to the best of their ability? Helping people on top of that is a lot of effort.
yh but there's a difference between never doing work being lazy and only asking simple help and ideas off someone.
it depends what you ask for

obviously if you never do anything an say "give me notes" they dont deserve it
but like askin idea on how to start a question is a totally different matter.
just like give hem a beginnig/a clue and they'll do the rest.
Original post by Menakshelatte
yh but there's a difference between never doing work being lazy and only asking simple help and ideas off someone.
it depends what you ask for

obviously if you never do anything an say "give me notes" they dont deserve it
but like askin idea on how to start a question is a totally different matter.
just like give hem a beginnig/a clue and they'll do the rest.

Exactly! I understand that. But I am a one brightest students, and rarely ask help from other students, but even when I do, they don't want to help.
Oh it pisses me off. I will help anyone who asks. Even people not doing my degree :h:

If anyone asks me for help, they get it. they wont get my notes, simply because I never make notes, I use text books or borrow another's.
Exactly! I understand that. But I am a one brightest students, and rarely ask help from other students, but even when I do, they don't want to help.

"Being nice gets you nowhere"<<<spoken from experience.

next time they need help from you in ANYTHING..just say no:wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending