The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Is Bath boring?

I'm hoping to apply there for Business Administration but I am a bit put off by what I have heard (e.g. Bath is boring, not much to do, people who attend are middle class ***** e.t.c)

I'm not really the heavy clubbing type (I don't drink either) but I do like to attend parties/clubs and like playing sports as well.

Any opinions/comments from tsr would be much appreciated!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Part A
I'm hoping to apply there for Business Administration but I am a bit put off by what I have heard (e.g. Bath is boring, not much to do, people who attend are middle class ***** e.t.c)

I'm not really the heavy clubbing type (I don't drink either) but I do like to attend parties/clubs and like playing sports as well.

Any opinions/comments from tsr would be much appreciated!

Excellent course. From what you describe it'll be perfect for you. Bath is a sport uni so you're good for sports. I'm sure there will be plenty of house parties, can't comment on the clubs but Bristol isn't far away!
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Try Shower.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
dj ble3nd
Reply 4
Original post by J4ME5
Excellent course. From what you describe it'll be perfect for you. Bath is a sport uni so you're good for sports. I'm sure there will be plenty of house parties, can't comment on the clubs but Bristol isn't far away!

Thanks for the advice, are you on the Business Admin course? How often are house parties would you say?
Reply 5
Original post by jismith1989
Try Shower.

Aargh! beat me to it :mad:
Reply 6
Original post by Part A
Thanks for the advice, are you on the Business Admin course? How often are house parties would you say?

Nope my girlfriend is, the number of house parties would all depend on how many people you know!
Reply 7
Not if thiers a rubber duck in thier and a couple of babes.

But mainly the duck...
I really believe I shall always be talking of Bath, when I am at home again–I do like it so very much…. Oh! Who can ever be tired of Bath? - Jane Austen.

Then again she was one boring bitch.
Reply 9
Original post by J4ME5
Nope my girlfriend is, the number of house parties would all depend on how many people you know!

Ah right, which year? and has she started to apply for the work placement year?
Reply 10
Final, she's already done two 6 month placements.
They call it Bath ffs, of course it'll be boring.
I can't comment on the uni as I'm still in year 13 but I live near and go to school in Bath so I know about the city pretty well.

There aren't many clubs [if any..] in town but there are a lot of pubs which are good for going out - or so I find with my group of friends anyway. There is then the issue of them having the odd group of sixth formers sat around but what can you do eh? I've found they do get pretty busy as well and you could struggle to sit down at certain times especially when they shut the outside parts [Pig and Fiddle is one of the worst for this].

There are affordable restaurents like Pizza Express and Wagamamas around, a cinema, a Wetherspoons and a few more things. You do have to make your own entertainment a lot but Bath is a really nice place to be if you're willing to put the effort in. There is no getting around the fact that it is very much an upper-middle-class city but I don't notice it too much now I'm used to it [although I was in Waterstones today and the people behind me were arranging a polo match...] so I guess you get used to it. Bath is a 'going for coffee' city with 3 Neros, 2 Starbucks, Costas and God knows what else in the town centre.

The uni is known for its sports and there are quite a few people from my sixth form who go up for training and whatnot who say it's all very active with students so no worries on that front!

Uni students are frowned upon by a lot of the 'typical Bath' people who think they're messing the city up and want them gone and as a result you don't see too much student-y stuff around town.

Hope this helps a little!
I'm at the uni, and tbh the nightlife isn't great, you definitely have to get used to predrinking cos it's so expensive! But the club on campus is ok, and the clubs in Bristol are good too, lots of societies organise nights out in Bristol :smile: If sports are your thing Bath's definitely the place to go, it's the best uni in the country for sports! It's a really pretty city as well, I guess people used to living in a big city might find it boring but being from a smallish town I love it here. Just ask if you've got any questions :smile:
Reply 14
Hey mate. I've just done my first semester on the business admin course. I am absolutely loving bath and having the time of my life. I come from north London but I enjoy life in bath much more! There are 4 main clubs in the town and if you go out as a group you will have a good time. The sports facilities are amazing and I have met some brilliant people. I had offers and met the grades to go to some more academic unis but bath is up there and I am so glad I choose to go there. I have only positives to say and highly recommend both the course and the uni to you. Hope this helps!!
Reply 15
Original post by ah445
Hey mate. I've just done my first semester on the business admin course. I am absolutely loving bath and having the time of my life. I come from north London but I enjoy life in bath much more! There are 4 main clubs in the town and if you go out as a group you will have a good time. The sports facilities are amazing and I have met some brilliant people. I had offers and met the grades to go to some more academic unis but bath is up there and I am so glad I choose to go there. I have only positives to say and highly recommend both the course and the uni to you. Hope this helps!!

Cheers mate, it helped. What's the course like, workload? What are you aiming for, first or 2:1? i might PM you later if that's alright! x
Reply 16
Original post by jismith1989
Try Shower.

Paha.
I'm at Bath Spa and I hate it! It's so boring and dull. The place sucks the life right out of me. Bristol is amazing however, but it's annoying having to keep going back and forth..
Reply 18
Bath isn't a boring nightlife, it's good compared to other small cities. But it's not great, no where near as good as a big city. It is a nice, upmarket city so it's slightly mroe expensive than newcastle, leeds etc. Bristol is only a 20 min train away for a huge clubbing city.. But if youre not a big party animal then none of this should put you off at all :smile:
Most people at uni are really nice, there seems to be some link between high grades and a 'nicer' sort of person maybe.
Reply 19
Original post by Conorrr9
Bath isn't a boring nightlife, it's good compared to other small cities. But it's not great, no where near as good as a big city. It is a nice, upmarket city so it's slightly mroe expensive than newcastle, leeds etc. Bristol is only a 20 min train away for a huge clubbing city.. But if youre not a big party animal then none of this should put you off at all :smile:
Most people at uni are really nice, there seems to be some link between high grades and a 'nicer' sort of person maybe.

I agree - however, Bath is really good for Business and it seems to have a decent nightlife and good sporting facilities. Does anybody know anything about bursaries/scolarships at Bath?

That's the most important factor for me - money! I know they offer scolarships but any inside advice would be appreciated.. x

Quick Reply

Latest