The Student Room Group

Swollen toe because of tight shoes?

I bought a pair of boots for the snowy weather last week and they were fine the first couple of times I wore them, but the material is really digging into my feet now and rubbing against my toes. It's like walking with barbed wire in my shoes. However I've not been able to do anything about it and have just put up with it, because it's not really bothered me.

However, tonight I've noticed the little toe on my left foot has swollen. It is red and the swelling feels hard. I've Googled it and it might be a spider bite, but obviously it's probably connected to wearing the shoes.

Should I be worried? Obviously TSR can't provide the answer but has anyone else had this problem?
Reply 1
It sounds like it's your shoes rubbing. Try not to wear the shoes for a while and see if the swelling decreases, if It get's any worse that it's painful to walk or more swollen then go see your GP.

oo and get some new boots! :wink:
Reply 2
Original post by Holamigo
It sounds like it's your shoes rubbing. Try not to wear the shoes for a while and see if the swelling decreases, if It get's any worse that it's painful to walk or more swollen then go see your GP.

oo and get some new boots! :wink:

Thanks. Yeah, the swelling has decreased slightly overnight. It was probably from wearing the boots for aaaaages yesterday.

I paid £25 for them though and I don't think I can return them now. But at the same time I can't walk in them anymore. :frown: Ffs.
If you ask me. I doubt it is a spider bite it is more likely the shoes. It is because the material rubs into your feet and the tension makes it sore. Also your shoes may be too small and your toes/toe has had some of its blood circulation cut off. This is why it is swollen. It either needs blood circulation or the blood to leave the toe and move around the foot. Because blood may have pooled in one area in the toe. IT is NOT an emergency. You need to stop wearing the boots and give your feet a nice soak in. Some water.

Time to give the shoes the boot. :teehee:
Reply 4
Definitely stop wearing the shoes. A guy I know wore some wellies that were too tight for him for a few days and both his big toenails fell off.
Reply 5
Original post by House of Jonny
If you ask me. I doubt it is a spider bite it is more likely the shoes. It is because the material rubs into your feet and the tension makes it sore. Also your shoes may be too small and your toes/toe has had some of its blood circulation cut off. This is why it is swollen. It either needs blood circulation or the blood to leave the toe and move around the foot. Because blood may have pooled in one area in the toe. IT is NOT an emergency. You need to stop wearing the boots and give your feet a nice soak in. Some water.

Time to give the shoes the boot. :teehee:

Just had a hearty chuckle at that. :teehee:

Wow. :eek: So that's why they're swollen. I've been bitten by a spider before and it looked similar so that's why I thought it might be that. Then I looked online and got freaked out by things saying it might be gout or arthritis or something. :frown:

Cheers buddy. :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by superwolf
Definitely stop wearing the shoes. A guy I know wore some wellies that were too tight for him for a few days and both his big toenails fell off.

:eek: I never knew the dangers of wearing tight shoes!

Quick Reply

Latest