The Student Room Group

Diary of a George's Physio Graduate

Well - JackieS did it, and I enjoy blogging, so I thought I'd keep things going.

I finished the course about six weeks ago (seems longer), although I had been doing some work over the summer helping one of our lecturers with a research project.

Since finishing, it's been busy! I've had to apply for full CSP membership (gained - I have the shiny badge from Jackie's avatar) and have just got my HPC membership through. This is particularly important as most jobs require it before they'll even consider you.

I've joined the mailing list for one of the main NHS job sites, but so far nearly all of them have been at a higher band than me (i.e. 6, 7 or 8) or if they are band 5 then they're miles away. There's only been two nearby, and one was only for 12 months. The other was at King's (which would be great) but they needed HPC registration, which I didn't have then. Would've been good if it came up now!

In the meantime I'm doing peer tutoring, teaching anatomy in the dissection room (really interetsing, and it's making a lot more sense to me than first time through) and in clinical cubicles - for practical skills. I think the physios particularly appreciate having some physio input, as it's usually all medics. There's a few of my classmates doing anatomy and clinical skills teaching, so it's fun to see old friends.

Since I'm in, the guys in the year below see me and I get to have a catch up with them too. It's odd seeing them doing the same assignments that we had last year. The new first years seem great, and it's fun to hear of the new second years as they go on their first placement.

Things are quiet for Crimbo, but I'm lining up some more work helping out on another research project. I'll hopefully get work not too long into the new year, but I want to make sure my CV looks like I've been doing something good with my time. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Question: i'm qualifying a year behind you, but ive not bern told to get HPC membership. In nursing we apply for jobs 6-3months before qualification also, and can start any time after finishing the course working as a band 3/4 and when our NMC pin comes through we work as a band 5 which tends to be 2-6weeks after the uni sends off our sign off stuff.

How does this mean as a NQ physio you need extra memberships, and the job market is different?
Reply 2
I'd be interested to learn more about this too.... several people in the year above me said in the summer that they already had job offers, and this was 2/3 months before the official end of the course.
I was also hoping to start to apply for jobs before the end of my course too, I really can't afford to have several months after finishing uni not working, as I am totally skint already!
Reply 3
Original post by Subcutaneous
Question: i'm qualifying a year behind you, but ive not bern told to get HPC membership. In nursing we apply for jobs 6-3months before qualification also, and can start any time after finishing the course working as a band 3/4 and when our NMC pin comes through we work as a band 5 which tends to be 2-6weeks after the uni sends off our sign off stuff.

How does this mean as a NQ physio you need extra memberships, and the job market is different?

The registration process for nursing is different to Physio - the HPC registers allied health professionals only and you can only apply for registration once you have completed your degree.

DJK - its very unusal to get job offers before you graduate but it can be done and the trusts usually hold the jobs until your HPC registration comes through s it is in your best interests to apply for jobs anyway. However often many of the more popular teaching trusts will ask for HPC registration before they will consider your application as this acts another method with which they can filter their hundreds of applications for band 5 jobs.
Reply 4
Thanks Jackie

Some of my year had jobs lined up but they were overseas. I guess it's possible that outside of the big hospitals it might be more likely to get a job without holding HPC registration.
Original post by iainmacn
Thanks Jackie

Some of my year had jobs lined up but they were overseas. I guess it's possible that outside of the big hospitals it might be more likely to get a job without holding HPC registration.

No it isn't, I'm afraid. If you don't have your HPC and you're not sleeping with the chairman of the selection board then your application is bound for the reject pile.

My current job had over 1500 applicants for 14 posts. Any application which didn't meet ALL of the basic requirements was immediately discarded. So if they want HPC as a minimum, then you need to have HPC or you're just wasting your time and theirs.
Reply 6
I was more thinking that they might be less likely to have it as a minimum requirement.

I can't say I've looked at every single band 5 job to come up in detail, but I didn't see HPC being mentioned on a couple of the smaller ones. doesn't mean it wasn't a requirement though.
Reply 7
I know that some of the people on my course who got jobs bfeore graduating were at fairly decent sized hospitals around south-east England.
I think it was more of a case of they had been on placements there and got told to apply for vacancies, which helped them get interviews, and then they did well on the interviews. Quite a few of the band 5's I've been speaking to ended up working somewhere they did a placement, it helps when the interviewers know you and your working style!
So I know for a fact it's not impossible puddlejumper!
Reply 8
Original post by puddlejumper
If you don't have your HPC and you're not sleeping with the chairman of the selection board then your application is bound for the reject pile.

Well I can think of at least 2 people in my year of qualifying (only 2 years ago) who held job offers before the end of the course without their HPC registration so clearly thats rubbish.
It is unlikely to be in this situation....but not impossble
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by djk_99
I know that some of the people on my course who got jobs bfeore graduating were at fairly decent sized hospitals around south-east England.
I think it was more of a case of they had been on placements there and got told to apply for vacancies, which helped them get interviews, and then they did well on the interviews. Quite a few of the band 5's I've been speaking to ended up working somewhere they did a placement, it helps when the interviewers know you and your working style!
So I know for a fact it's not impossible puddlejumper!

alot of the big teaching trusts (mine included) offer their jobs on a point scoring system so it doesn't really matter if they know you or not - if you don't get the top mark, you don't get the job - simple as really. However, what applying for jobs at places you've been to previous does afford you is a little bit more of a relaxed approach if you see familiar faces, or things that you may know about the trust e/g/ new policies and plans etc which you wouldn't necessarily know about if you hadn't been there before

and at the trust I work in, being a current memeber of staff doesn't even guarantee you anything (I was on a temp contract, applied for a permanent job within 2 months of my temp job starting and got reject before interview despite knowing everyone!)
Reply 10
My current job had over 1500 applicants for 14 posts. Any application which didn't meet ALL of the basic requirements was immediately discarded. So if they want HPC as a minimum, then you need to have HPC or you're just wasting your time and theirs.
and this is why they will use HPC registration as a means of weeding out people. However if you went for a job at somewhere abit smaller its perfectly feasible that they may not worry about yourHPC registration if you're a recent grad
Original post by JackieS
and this is why they will use HPC registration as a means of weeding out people. However if you went for a job at somewhere abit smaller its perfectly feasible that they may not worry about yourHPC registration if you're a recent grad

I'm not sure what you're thinking of as 'smaller'. Any hospital trust will have the same kind of application process and presumably the same weeding out process.

So what is smaller? A single private nursing home or something like that?
Reply 12
I'm not sure what you're thinking of as 'smaller'. Any hospital trust will have the same kind of application process and presumably the same weeding out process.

So what is smaller? A single private nursing home or something like that?
well for example a small DGH comapred to a large london teaching trust......................different hospitals, likely different numbers of application thus potentially different interview deciding criteria. And I know this is true....I can think of quite a few people I know who applied for jobs at large teaching trusts and were turned flat down because they didn't have HPC registration by the time they applied but managed to get a job whilst waiting for their HPC registration at a different, and generally perceived as smaller, hospital

Anyway the point is that whilst some things are improbable they are not impossible - its worth applying for whatever jobs come up if you're at that point.......yes you may be turned down for not having your HPC registration, but then again you may not. You have nothing to lose by applying for jobs that you don't necessarily expect to get. They are excellent opportunities to hone your personal statement as the personal specification is not the same for all trusts.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 13
Just sent my first application off since getting HPC. It's bank work which isn't ideal but it's all good experience :smile:
Reply 14
Was wondering if you were going to start another blog very pleased you have! Deffinately everyone i've spoken to really appreciates having some physio input as we get so sick of the medic demonstrators just telling the medics what they need to know and not having a clue why we are there some of the time!!!! I'd quite like to do a blog of my first year is there anything i need to do or do i just go ahead?!
Reply 15
Definitely do it Gee - just start a thread. Jackie needs to link it into the blogs thread but she can do that any time.

Glad you appreciate the physio input - I always try to make it physio relevant, probably don't make it as relevant to medics but we switch round so hopefully you get a bit of each. I have found I've picked up some medic stuff just from working on ITU etc.

Sorry the teaching session I did with you wasn't 100%, the first run through in DR is never my best!
Original post by JackieS
Well I can think of at least 2 people in my year of qualifying (only 2 years ago) who held job offers before the end of the course without their HPC registration so clearly thats rubbish.
It is unlikely to be in this situation....but not impossble

Two years ago my current employers were recruiting three people for each hospital in the group. Last year they recruited only two people per hospital and this year they have recruited only one person per hospital. Anecdotal evidence from two years ago is not really relevant to how the system is running now.

You may apply for a job at a hospital at which you are known but part of the application process is to remove the names from the applications so that a fair appointment can be made.

Of course you could, as was suggested by someone who involved in the recruiting process, add your name to the personal statement area of the form and mention whcih wards/departments you have worked in. The recruiter would then phone the ward/department to see if they liked you and if you were any good and possibly ask you in for an interview.

ETA: It's all very well telling people to apply for jobs for which they don't have the relevant experience or qualifications but, to give an example from my application process this year. Out of 1400 applicants, 800 were immediately discarded because they didn't have the experience or qualifications requested for the job. The reality is that the people who are going to interview you and who are going to give you the job have little or no contact with the applications until a short list has been drawn up. Spend your time on fruitless applications if you want to but you would be very lucky in the current job climate to get even an acknowledgement of your application, let alone an invite to an interview.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by JackieS
alot of the big teaching trusts (mine included) offer their jobs on a point scoring system so it doesn't really matter if they know you or not - if you don't get the top mark, you don't get the job - simple as really. However, what applying for jobs at places you've been to previous does afford you is a little bit more of a relaxed approach if you see familiar faces, or things that you may know about the trust e/g/ new policies and plans etc which you wouldn't necessarily know about if you hadn't been there before

and at the trust I work in, being a current memeber of staff doesn't even guarantee you anything (I was on a temp contract, applied for a permanent job within 2 months of my temp job starting and got reject before interview despite knowing everyone!)

I've just noticed this post.

The point system is not the sole deciding factor.

In a recent vacancy at my hospital a condidate who had a lower score was offered the job. That was because they had worked in the hospital, in fact had trained in the department, and was therefore well known to be a good worker who got on with the other staff. So rather than take a chance with an outside applicant the former worker was employed. They would have been employed at the end of their training, but unfortunately a vacancy didn't come up for 6 months after they qualified so they had to go and work at another hospital. So it's not all about points.
Reply 18
I've just noticed this post.

The point system is not the sole deciding factor.

In a recent vacancy at my hospital a condidate who had a lower score was offered the job. That was because they had worked in the hospital, in fact had trained in the department, and was therefore well known to be a good worker who got on with the other staff. So rather than take a chance with an outside applicant the former worker was employed. They would have been employed at the end of their training, but unfortunately a vacancy didn't come up for 6 months after they qualified so they had to go and work at another hospital. So it's not all about points.
like I said, it depends on the trust.....

my trust - points onlly....top points = job..
A couple of other trusts I applied for - exactly rhe same

its different for different trusts but unless you work there it is difficult to know exactly what their system is
Reply 19

ETA: It's all very well telling people to apply for jobs for which they don't have the relevant experience or qualifications but, to give an example from my application process this year. Out of 1400 applicants, 800 were immediately discarded because they didn't have the experience or qualifications requested for the job. The reality is that the people who are going to interview you and who are going to give you the job have little or no contact with the applications until a short list has been drawn up. Spend your time on fruitless applications if you want to but you would be very lucky in the current job climate to get even an acknowledgement of your application, let alone an invite to an interview.
my opinion would be that you have nothing to lose and at the very least get a kick up the bum to get your PS sorted

each to their own

Quick Reply

Latest