The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Your application has been received by a College.

:smile:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 1801
Original post by Captain Hob
Your application has been received by a College.

:smile:

Congrats!! which college and course did you apply to?
Original post by skypig97
Congrats!! which college and course did you apply to?

I applied for the four year Physics course, to Josephine Butler college. I don't really care what college I wind up with though, I was tempted to just pull one out of a hat at one point! :tongue: Still, I wanted to go non-catered.

What about yourself?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1803
Yay! Unconditional for Physics and Astronomy.

Definitely going there
Reply 1804
Original post by Captain Hob
I applied for the four year Physics course, to Josephine Butler college. I don't really care what college I wind up with though, I was tempted to just pull one out of a hat at one point! :tongue: Still, I wanted to go non-catered.

What about yourself?

When I applied, I did so with an 'open' application, but then called and asked to change that to St Chad's--they said they would do that since no college had been allocated yet . . . but we'll see if I get St Chad's. So far, all I know is that I have an offer through UCAS for Combined Honours Arts, but I don't know which college.
Original post by ollie82
well, what are you applying for? its nice to have somewhere close to where you're going. although in durham everywhere's close! i applied to trevs because its sporty and fun but also has a really good academic record and is really close to the science department which is where i'm going to be studying.

you could narrow it down by whether you want to be in the centre or not. look at the durham colleges site, they should give you a good idea. also, there are very few that are self catering, that should sort your choice out pretty quickly!

Thanks for help. I am going to study Physics so I guess I am going to the same science department. I know that stuff about self-catering but I am unable to find any info about it in campus sites.. Is trevs self-catered?
Original post by Sophia14
I think i am going to stay over on Monday the 21st and go to the Tuesday one :smile:
I would very much like to go on the Wednesday one as it involves missing double history :wink: But mu conscience has got the better of me, and anyway i'd better start working hard or the open day will be the most of the castle I ever see!

haha nice! If I go, I'll be staying over on Monday as well. Still haven't decided 100% whether I'm going to the open day though. I'm assuming Durham is going to be your firm?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by skypig97
When I applied, I did so with an 'open' application, but then called and asked to change that to St Chad's--they said they would do that since no college had been allocated yet . . . but we'll see if I get St Chad's. So far, all I know is that I have an offer through UCAS for Combined Honours Arts, but I don't know which college.

To be honest, as long as you get an offer it doesn't make a huge difference does it? :smile: Congrats anyway!

Original post by DeCiBell0
Is trevs self-catered?

Check the bottom of this page. You're fully catered.
Reply 1808
Original post by ollie82
close - no! i live in london! but i visited durham as a child and loved it, and then when i went for the open day i fell in love all over again! i like how its small - i go to a really small school with only about 250 girls. which is why i like the colleges too, it makes uni much more personal. the people when i went there all seemed really nice and cool and also they have an excellent sporting reputation, something i'm interested in.

i'm sure they look at overseas students separately, i'd expect so. the AES doesn't really give you any more info. in a few days it will change to: 'a decision has been made, please refer to UCAS for further details.' and on UCAS it says a college will contact you. so you only know if you've got into Chad's when they send you a letter, because they do applications for the courses and for colleges completely separately. chances are, you'll still get in!

i'm just glad i've got a place. i was considering bath as another option but they actually asked for higher grades than durham, and durham's my first choice so i can't apply to bath. my only other option is nottingham which i was pretty keen on but not as much so as durham, and its asking for the same grades, so i might put it as my back-up as they're more likely to lower their grades than durham... but tbh, if i don't get ABB, i don't think i should go to uni!

cheers to us lucky few! x

If I lived in England, I'd be choosing between Durham and St Andrews at this point and leaning to firm up Durham. But as I am an American living in America, I am seriously considering a couple of schools here, namely Yale, Swarthmore and Pomona. The last two are liberal arts colleges with about 2,000 total undergraduates . . . small by university standards, but like you I like small and personal and think it will be an easier transition to living away from home. I won't hear from any of the American schools until late March, so I am hoping to make a trip to Durham for an open day before then and make a decision in April or May. The American price tags are huge, but they do give a lot scholarships and grants; so most people don't pay the sticker price and my dad tells me that after I get offers from American schools, the total price for Durham vs American Uni will be comparable.

I am sure you will get ABB and I looked at Bath and Nottingham, both very good choices/alternatives to Durham, but I agree with your top choice (for what that's worth). Congrats again.
Reply 1809
Original post by adam0311
haha nice! If I go, I'll be staying over on Monday as well. Still haven't decided 100% whether I'm going to the open day though. I'm assuming Durham is going to be your firm?

It will be when i get rejected from Cambridge some time in the next fortnight!! lol
I'm assuming its yours then?

Btw for everyone whos firming Durham, what are you putting down as insurance? uni and grades
Reply 1810
It will be when i get rejected from Cambridge some time in the next fortnight!! lol

Btw for everyone whos firming Durham, what are you putting down as insurance? uni and grades

i don't have an insurance, durham gave me my lowest offer but is also my first choice so there aren't any other options! (ABB)
Reply 1811
Just received my college confirmation letter via post. I got St John's. :biggrin: I can relax a bit, now!
Reply 1812
Also, is there a Facebook group for Durham 2011 applicants? If not, somebody should make one! :smile:
(sorry if this has been asked before)
Original post by Fluidity
Just received my college confirmation letter via post. I got St John's. :biggrin: I can relax a bit, now!

Congrats!! You're a Philosophy applicant right? I think I've seen you around in other threads :smile: I'm a Philosophy future undergrad too! And I've got an offer from Chad's, we'll be basically neighbours :tongue:
Probably going to be my firm, thought I'd come and check in :smile:
Reply 1815
Original post by LondonGirl22
Congrats!! You're a Philosophy applicant right? I think I've seen you around in other threads :smile: I'm a Philosophy future undergrad too! And I've got an offer from Chad's, we'll be basically neighbours :tongue:

Thank you. :redface: Congratulations of your offer, too!
I am a philosophy applicant indeed. Is Durham your first choice?
We should be homely neighbours if we both end up there. Do not hesitate to pop in to John's if you need to borrow some sugar, ha! :biggrin:

Yeah 99% positive it will be mine. Castle sealed the deal.
Reply 1817
Original post by Fluidity

Congratulations! Maybe I'll see you there. I'll likely be at St. John's next Autumn.
Reply 1818
Original post by LondonGirl22

Congrats on your offer! I am hoping to get confirmation from Chad's (my first choice) to study Combined Honours Arts. Philosophy may well end up one of my modules; my top two interests for now are English Lit and Classics. Is Durham your firm choice? Will you be going to open days in March?
Politics
Your application has not yet been received by a College.
Arrrrrrgh.
Has anybody got offers for Politics?
I'm not expecting anything til after Christmas now.

Latest