The Student Room Group

When you describe a girl as 'skinny', what do you mean exactly?

When I hear someone call a girl skinny, I assume they mean someone who is underweight and looks like they are at a weight that is unhealthy for them, for example like how Nicole Richie was a few years ago or Amy Whinehouse. However, it seems like most people use the word 'skinny' to describe girls who are slim and dont' have massive boobs or hips. I've heard people describe Jessica Alba, Eva Longoria, Kylie Minogue and Adriana Lima as 'skinny', which confuses me as even though they are not as curvy as say Kelly Brook, they certainly do not look underweight. So does skinny actually mean 'slim', or does it mean 'underweight'?

Scroll to see replies

I would use skinny to mean that they look underweight or "ribby" generally, whereas I would tend to use "Slim" otherwise. But that's just me!
Reply 2
not fat durhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Reply 3
Original post by bramz19
I reckon skinny means underweight. Perfect example: Liz from The Apprentice. Marvellous rack, but still very skinny, too skinny for some. Not too skinny for me, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder etc.

i second this
Reply 4
I always thought that skinny = thin + no boobs
i.e. me :emo:
someone who has a small frame with not much fat on them.

example:

Very slim. Thin legs, small boobs, no stomach, no bum.
Reply 7
...I've completely misunderstood the word skinny.
some call me fat,some call me curvy some call me slim.
i just choose to be me :frown:

generally peo[ple around dont use slim to mean "underweght"
it's like a bit below curvy..
Reply 9
Original post by Elynnor1811

example:

Original post by RabbitCFH
Very slim. Thin legs, small boobs, no stomach, no bum.

This.
skinny= when they look like you could break them if held too tightly, and when they don't have any curves...AT ALL....
Reply 11
For me it's usually when i'm with a friend and i see a girl with no meat on her bones.

'Man, you can see the bones under that girl's skin...eeee.'

Now you see.
So would you describe the women in my OP as skinny? e.g. Jessica Alba, Eva Longoria
Someone who you can practically see their bones.
e.g. someone half the size of me.
Original post by Elynnor1811

example:

I'm not a celebrity hater or anything but doesn't her top half look kinda wrinkly? :s-smilie:
Reply 15
Lindsay Lohan is filth though
Original post by Anonymous
When I hear someone call a girl skinny, I assume they mean someone who is underweight and looks like they are at a weight that is unhealthy for them, for example like how Nicole Richie was a few years ago or Amy Whinehouse. However, it seems like most people use the word 'skinny' to describe girls who are slim and dont' have massive boobs or hips. I've heard people describe Jessica Alba, Eva Longoria, Kylie Minogue and Adriana Lima as 'skinny', which confuses me as even though they are not as curvy as say Kelly Brook, they certainly do not look underweight. So does skinny actually mean 'slim', or does it mean 'underweight'?

I personally say it as a compliment, normally in reassuring someone that they aren't fat :smile: x
Original post by IndigoRockGirl
I personally say it as a compliment, normally in reassuring someone that they aren't fat :smile: x

So you don't think it means underweight and unhealthy looking?
skinny = underweight, no ass and it looks as f their legs could snap in two
Reply 19
Could mean anything from not fat to anorexic.

Quick Reply

Latest