The Student Room Group

Another Drop out thread.... after 1st year though.

Hiiii..
Erm well basically i have decided to drop out of uni after the year is out.
1 incase i suddenly like it and 2 because i like the social side of uni but its not worth it.

Now.. i'm on student finance..
If i see the whole year through then drop out what does it mean?
Do I still only pay back after i'm earning 15k? coz i know you have to re apply every year.

And also i've seen i might have to pay back grants? is this true?
Thanks.
I know there's alot of these but didn't see one for someone dropping out after a year.

Scroll to see replies

i think that if you are at uni for the whole time a given grant is supposed to cover, you dont have to pay it back

i.e. if you are at uni from sept to jan, you don't have to pay back the first installment of the grant, and so on

don't hold me to that though
Reply 2
Mmh thats what i think, it's not exactly as if i've dropped out the day i got my grant. I'm using the money to good use..
Pardon my ignorance but does one really need a university degree to facilitate something as vocational as working in the film industry. With the failing education system, current economic climate and lack of career prospects for some I wouldn't blame you for wanting to go to university but I don't really see why you'd even consider putting yourself over 10k in debt when there are perfectly capable people beginning work in film and broadcasting straight out of sixth form.

With people going to university without necessity, no wonder universities are set to bursting, underfunded and hence the current government is having to take drastic measures to rectify the problem at the expense of medics, physicists, mathematics, and academic students who actually need to go to uni.
(edited 13 years ago)
If you leave in June you will be required to immediately pay back the proportion of the grant you received for the months of June to September ie about 25% of the grant amount.
you might not get a loan for your next first year if you decide to reapply. what's wrong with uni? is it the course?
Reply 6
Original post by TheCrackFox
Pardon my ignorance but does one really need a university degree to facilitate something as vocational as working in the film industry. With the failing education system, current economic climate and lack of career prospects for some I wouldn't blame you for wanting to go to university but I don't really see why you'd even consider putting yourself over 10k in debt when there are perfectly capable people beginning work in film and broadcasting straight out of sixth form.

With people going to university without necessity, no wonder universities are set to bursting, underfunded and hence the current government is having to take drastic measures to rectify the problem at the expense of medics, physicists, mathematics, and academic students who actually need to go to uni.

That's exactly why i'm leaving.

And hmmm varied answers, i'm pretty sure I don't get any grant or loan after June so I don't see why I would pay 25% of between June and september. I just get them at the start of each term, and I will be completing each term.
Original post by Brad0712
That's exactly why i'm leaving.

And hmmm varied answers, i'm pretty sure I don't get any grant or loan after June so I don't see why I would pay 25% of between June and september. I just get them at the start of each term, and I will be completing each term.

It doesn't matter how you try to justify getting money under false pretences. You will find unis don't do terms they do semesters. Look up the definition and you'll see why you get 2 payments! What a dumbo! The bottom line is the grant is allocated for a 12 month period. You leave before the 12 months are up you will be required to repay it and will not be reconsidered for any other funding until it is repaid.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by hypocriticaljap
It doesn't matter how you try to justify getting money under false pretences. You will find unis don't do terms they do semesters. Look up the definition and you'll see why you get 2 payments! What a dumbo! The bottom line is the grant is allocated for a 12 month period. You leave before the 12 months are up you will be required to repay it and will not be reconsidered for any other funding until it is repaid.

Dumbo?
Lol.
Firstly I'm staying because I might actually like the course.
Also, I get 3 payments, One in September, One in Janurary, and 1 in May.

I happen to do three terms / semesters whatever you want to call them.

You're not helping at all, anyone else who actually has knowledge wanna help?
Look you prat grants are awarded for 12 monthly periods.
If you drop out you have to pay back the part you are not legally entitled to.
Reply 10
Hypocriticaljap is correct.
Original post by hypocriticaljap

you get three grant payments, please don't give advice on a topic you don't understand, it could lead to the OP making the wrong decision.

OP, you don't generally have to repay the grant you received for the time you were at uni. for example, if you dropped out JUST BEFORE the second instalment was due (early january) you wouldn't have to repay anything from the first instalment, but if you dropped out about a month before the second instalment (i.e. december) you'd have to pay back a months worth of the grant, because you didn't get the chance to 'use' it.

if you have a more specific question PM me and i'll do my best to explain :smile:
Reply 12

Dumbo?
Lol.
Firstly I'm staying because I might actually like the course.
Also, I get 3 payments, One in September, One in Janurary, and 1 in May.

I happen to do three terms / semesters whatever you want to call them.

You're not helping at all, anyone else who actually has knowledge wanna help?

Your loan and grant is supposed to cover the summer too, which is why you get less in your third year. It's also why you can't claim JSA over the summer.
Reply 13
Original post by MissFanatical
you get three grant payments, please don't give advice on a topic you don't understand, it could lead to the OP making the wrong decision.

OP, you don't generally have to repay the grant you received for the time you were at uni. for example, if you dropped out JUST BEFORE the second instalment was due (early january) you wouldn't have to repay anything from the first instalment, but if you dropped out about a month before the second instalment (i.e. december) you'd have to pay back a months worth of the grant, because you didn't get the chance to 'use' it.

if you have a more specific question PM me and i'll do my best to explain :smile:

Actually, it's calculated from the 1st September to the date of last attendance. You take the total grant awarded, multiply it by the number of days in attendance and divide by 365 (or 366 if there's a leap year). This gives the entitlement, and it will not always work out exactly how you've said. Please don't give advice on something you don't understand fully.
Original post by Taiko
Actually, it's calculated from the 1st September to the date of last attendance. You take the total grant awarded, multiply it by the number of days in attendance and divide by 365 (or 366 if there's a leap year). This gives the entitlement, and it will not always work out exactly how you've said. Please don't give advice on something you don't understand fully.

hello unnecessary bitchy repetition!

if what you said above is true, i've been given the wrong information from the student loans company (which of course is possible, they're only human after all, but i assumed it would have been reliable). when i dropped out, they calculated it from the 22nd september which was the official starting date of my course. my date of last attendance being in december, they worked out the number of weeks until the next instalment (10th jan in my case) and deducted the weeks i attended from the total, asking for the remained back :/ is that not the normal procedure? i apologise if i've given the wrong information, i assumed the procedure would be standard.
Reply 15
hello unnecessary bitchy repetition!

if what you said above is true, i've been given the wrong information from the student loans company (which of course is possible, they're only human after all, but i assumed it would have been reliable). when i dropped out, they calculated it from the 22nd september which was the official starting date of my course. my date of last attendance being in december, they worked out the number of weeks until the next instalment (10th jan in my case) and deducted the weeks i attended from the total, asking for the remained back :/ is that not the normal procedure? i apologise if i've given the wrong information, i assumed the procedure would be standard.

That's how the loan is calculated, not the grant. Grant is based on the academic year, which runs Sept - Aug, or Jan - Dec if you're a January starter. If they've explained that to you in that way, they are wrong.
Original post by Taiko
Actually, it's calculated from the 1st September to the date of last attendance. You take the total grant awarded, multiply it by the number of days in attendance and divide by 365 (or 366 if there's a leap year). This gives the entitlement, and it will not always work out exactly how you've said.

i've just worked out my entitlement using the above method and it's given me a number very close to the amount i had to pay back rather than the amount i was entitled to keep, was that what you meant?
Reply 17
i've just worked out my entitlement using the above method and it's given me a number very close to the amount i had to pay back rather than the amount i was entitled to keep, was that what you meant?

Yes, that works out your entitlement. Deduct that from amoun paid will equal the overpayment, although it's rounded up to the nearest pound.

SFE did get this wrong though. I was doing assessments for the old authorities for 5 years, so know the calculations inside out.
Reply 18
I'm afraid you will have to pay some of the grant back, as the grant is supposed to last you september-september, everything else you don't have to pay back until you're earning

source: I dropped out after my course finished at the end of May and had to pay back over £700 of my grant
The OP doesn't want to hear the truth though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending