The Student Room Group

The Bible

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Addzter
Do you believe you can be a good Christian whilst also actively having gay sex? Serious question that I'm interested in getting Christians' answers to. :smile:

no
but you can't be a good one by actively having straight "recreational" sex, either.
you can probably be a bad one though, whatever that is
Original post by KingofSpades
no
but you can't be a good one by actively having straight "recreational" sex, either.
you can probably be a bad one though, whatever that is

I see. Now, why is that? What Bible passage are you using to say that?
Original post by DJkG.1
Read it with an open mind (which may be hard after reading threads like this on TSR I must say). It's beautiful. :smile:

In its original text?

Because I've tried hard, and I'm yet to find one translation into English which even makes competitive sense.

so how are we to become faithful muslims, without a copy of the sacred scrollz
Reply 23
so how are we to become faithful muslims, without a copy of the sacred scrollz

Dunno. Don't? :dontknow:

Or learn the lingo.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by Addzter
Yeah, but didn't Jesus - so, God - say that they're unclean, and then someone else said they were clean (I can't remember who, but it wasn't Jesus). Interesting how Bible passages are manipulated in favour of good things like nommy food, but not in favour of less desirable things like women priests. :smile:

To put it simply, the old testament says one thing, the new testament says another. This isn't about how people perceive the Bible, its a simple case of reading what is written. I believe you're getting slightly confused since the female priest debate is a slightly more grey area, it just depends who you talk to - some Christians take the Bible very literally, others a lot more on how it will suit their/modern lifestyles.
Original post by Addzter
Do you believe you can be a good Christian whilst also actively having gay sex? Serious question that I'm interested in getting Christians' answers to. :smile:

Can you be a good Christian and have heterosexual sex outside of marriage? Or by being envious of something someone else has? Or for not presenting some fabric with mold to a priest?

The important thing to know is that everyone is a sinner, not matter how hard they try. Yet there is definitely something as a Christian. It's because it's not all about how you sin and what you do, it's just about Jesus and putting him first.

If someone is doing something that plays on their conscience because they fear it is a sin in the eyes of God, then it is something for them to pray to God about to help them decide on whether they need to change that action. A good Christian would happy turn to God for help and guidance on such matters.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Addzter
I see. Now, why is that? What Bible passage are you using to say that?

I am not using a bible passage, believe it or not, but the faculty of type.

I should ask you, in what bible passage is homosexuality condemned (not to be confused with condemnation of actions of a homosexual nature.)
but I won't. because you won't find said passage.

and rephrase your question. are you asking me to find a bible passage that condemns hedonistic sex?
Original post by Benammieh
On sunday i was at church and listening to the teaching of the bible and stuff and I have grown up in a strong christian home for many years and I have read from Matthew to timothy, the whole of genesis and Esther. To be honest it doesn't make sense to know how these were written. They were written by disciples of Jesus or most of it were according to christians. However when people write stories, don't they exaggerate and stuff.

Reading the bible has made me think otherwise, I just don't know if I can believe it or not.
Is there anything in particular that you struggle with?
Original post by RK
Can you be a good Christian and have heterosexual sex outside of marriage? Or by being envious of something someone else has? Or for not presenting some fabric with mould to a priest?

The important thing to know is that everyone is a sinner, not matter how hard they try. Yet there is definitely something as a Christian. It's because it's not all about how you sin and what you do, it's just about Jesus and putting him first.

If someone is doing something that plays on their conscience because they fear it is a sin in the eyes of God, then it is something for them to pray to God about to help them decide on whether they need to change that action. A good Christian would happy turn to God for help and guidance on such matters.

So if I have gay sex and it doesn't play on my conscience and I always put Jesus first in whatever I do, I'm a good Christian?

EDIT: What if I have sex in a gay marriage?
Original post by jaydoh
Can you read the Bible and stay religiously neutral?

I mean, from what I have read I have found it an interesting read, from a philosophical and literary standpoint. But can you read it and be immeresed in religious idealogy and not really be influenced one way or another?

If not why not? And if so, are you undergoing some sort of voluntrary indoctrination almost? Same rules apply for any other religious text, I'm just putting into context for myself.

I'm going to read it now, from cover to cover, as an adult conscious of making my own decisions in regards to religion, and see how it affects me. I don't mean I am going to suddenly "become religious", I don't believe that you can suddenly force yourself to be religious or not.

i read the bible and thought it was a old outdated fictional book that needs burning and to be forgotten. i just don't understand how one book can make millions deluded
I am not using a bible passage, believe it or not, but the faculty of type.

I should ask you, in what bible passage is homosexuality condemned (not to be confused with condemnation of actions of a homosexual nature.)
but I won't. because you won't find said passage.

and rephrase your question. are you asking me to find a bible passage that condemns hedonistic sex?

Well, it says in leviticus that gay sex is an abomination. If that's not a condemnation, then I don't know what is. I'm disappointed you didn't know that, because I was going to ask you whether you also believe that trimming your beard is bad, too, or being rude to your parents is an abomination equal to having sex sex, because those things are all in Leviticus, too. It's just that Christians choose to ignore these things, because everyone likes arguing with their parents every now and then and having a clean-shaven face, but nobody likes gay sex.
Original post by Wookie42
To put it simply, the old testament says one thing, the new testament says another. This isn't about how people perceive the Bible, its a simple case of reading what is written. I believe you're getting slightly confused since the female priest debate is a slightly more grey area, it just depends who you talk to - some Christians take the Bible very literally, others a lot more on how it will suit their/modern lifestyles.

And it's this picking and choosing of which messages to follow that makes Christianity such a stupid religion, in my opinion. Instead of basing their lives around their religion, (most) Christians base their religion around their lives.
Original post by Addzter
Well, it says in leviticus that gay sex is an abomination. If that's not a condemnation, then I don't know what is. I'm disappointed you didn't know that, because I was going to ask you whether you also believe that trimming your beard is bad, too, or being rude to your parents is an abomination equal to having sex sex, because those things are all in Leviticus, too. It's just that Christians choose to ignore these things, because everyone likes arguing with their parents every now and then and having a clean-shaven face, but nobody likes gay sex.

I would say you could not read my previous post, but seeing as your response maintains coherence, I will tab it down to lack of comprehension skills.
Is gay sex a condemnation of homosexuals, or of those who engage in homosexual activity?
Original post by Addzter
So if I have gay sex and it doesn't play on my conscience and I always put Jesus first in whatever I do, I'm a good Christian?

EDIT: What if I have sex in a gay marriage?

I'm not saying that :smile: But further to my answer, what I will say is that a 'good' Christian would have something playing on their conscious which goes against what God wishes us to do.

But it is a matter for the individual to see what the Bible tells them and think about their relationship with God in respect to that.

It is not my place, not anyone else's place, Christian or otherwise, to judge another based on their sexual preference or any other criteria. It's a decision for the individual.

However, if asked by a friend who was a Christian or wanted to be Christian to advise them on a matter of whether something was a sin in their life, then I would happily give then advice, based upon the specific situation of the individual.

As for gay sex in a gay marriage - I guess it comes down to whether one considers a civil partnership a marriage in the eyes of God. Indeed one may also wish to consider whether a civil marriage between a heterosexual couple would even be considered a marriage in the eyes of God. Indeed this is actually not something I've ever considered....interesting....hmmmm
(edited 13 years ago)
I would say you could not read my previous post, but seeing as your response maintains coherence, I will tab it down to lack of comprehension skills.
Is gay sex a condemnation of homosexuals, or of those who engage in homosexual activity?

Those who engage in homosexual activity, all of whom are homosexual, none of whom are straight.
Original post by RK
I'm not saying that :smile: But further to my answer, what I will say is that a 'good' Christian would have something playing on their conscious which goes against what God wishes us to do.

But it is a matter for the individual to see what the Bible tells them and think about their relationship with God in respect to that.

It is not my place, not anyone else's place, Christian or otherwise, to judge another based on their sexual preference or any other criteria. It's a decision for the individual.

However, if asked by a friend who was a Christian or wanted to be Christian to advise them on a matter of whether something was a sin in their life, then I would happily give then advice, based upon the specific situation of the individual.

OK. So, if I asked you for whether or not you think it would be a sin to marry a guy and have sex with him, what would you say?
I need to read it cover to cover again. Haven't done so since I was 15; and I'm sure I'll be suprised the things which appear differently now than when I was that age.

Even if you don't believe the stories, the messages behind them are useful to have.
Original post by Addzter
OK. So, if I asked you for whether or not you think it would be a sin to marry a guy and have sex with him, what would you say?

I'd say I don't know enough about you or your situation to fully be able to comment, so would refrain from doing so. But would advise you to seek out a Christian friend of yours to ask the questions to :smile:
Original post by RK
I'd say I don't know enough about you or your situation to fully be able to comment, so would refrain from doing so. But would advise you to seek out a Christian friend of yours to ask the questions to :smile:

:lol: That's a kop out! :wink:

Come on, just admit that, based on what the Bible says, you believe it's a sin and would advise against it if I wanted to avoid sin! :smile:
Original post by Addzter
:lol: That's a kop out! :wink:

Come on, just admit that, based on what the Bible says, you believe it's a sin and would advise against it if I wanted to avoid sin! :smile:

But no one can avoid sin. We're all sinners no matter how much we try. Though if realise something in our lives is sinful, we should aim to remove it from our lives.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending