The Student Room Group

Men better than women?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Roloqueen
There's a very simple answer to this. When we first started to evolve into something recognisably human, day-to-day existence involved a large number of exhausting, physically demanding tasks (something which has, in fact, remained true until very recently). Men were a) physically stronger and b) weren't taken out of action by childbirth. As human social conventions developed, this physical superiority was translated into new forms of power and authority - cultural, moral and economic as well as physical. Society developed whole cultural systems to cement men's power even further and when they didn't get what they want, the threat of physical force could still prevail. There was never a 'clean slate'.

I agree with this.
Original post by Imperatore

So would you say that because men are genetically made to be physically superior to females that at the early stages men were the better/more able gender which ultimately determined their superiority in society over women?

Exactly this.
So now we can go to the root of all this: Why are men physically superior to females?
Is it to do with the fact that the females would mate with the most fit males, thus exerting the genetic pressure for men to get stronger and stronger in order to find a mate and pass down his genes? :holmes:

Original post by Yawn11

Adam gave up a rib for you bitches.

Our women gave you muscles you bitches.
Original post by Kew
When there's a well-thought through, reasoned, backed-up argument to argue against then I will - but when it's just unsubstantiated insults (as with the post you quoted), what's the point in replying? Posts like that make me wonder what world the poster is living in, considering that the vast majority of women I know and work with are easily as rational and intelligent as men.

Huh? I don't think you understood my post. Im saying no female could be bothered to reply as it's not even any kind of proper argument which he posted. Hence the phrase "he's not even worth it". You've basically just reiterated my post. Was this your intent? I'm a girl btw.
Reply 63
Original post by hollywoodbudgie
Exactly this.
So now we can go to the root of all this: Why are men physically superior to females?
Is it to do with the fact that the females would mate with the most fit males, thus exerting the genetic pressure for men to get stronger and stronger in order to find a mate and pass down his genes? :holmes:

Our women gave you muscles you bitches.

Lies. :colonhash:

Spoiler

Reply 64
Original post by Yawn11
Women ARE better than men...

Spoiler

actually men are better at that as well.

Lol, jk.
Reply 65
Original post by hollywoodbudgie
Exactly this.
Is it to do with the fact that the females would mate with the most fit males, thus exerting the genetic pressure for men to get stronger and stronger in order to find a mate and pass down his genes?

Surely it's at least partly because women are designed for childbirth? If it wasn't for that then we wouldn't have to put up with periods etc...

Incidently, whilst men are on average physically stronger than women in terms of muscular strength, females are actually biologically stronger than males, particularly during the first years of life. In the womb boys are more prone to prematurity, congenital malformations and so on, and boys are on average weaker and more vulnerable as young children, suffering more frequently from conditions and disorders such as dyslexia, developmental delays and autism. Women's superior biological strength (also reflected by the fact that they live longer than men on average) could be down to the need for them to be strong enough for pregnancy and child-bearing, though I'm hypothesising here.
Reply 66
Original post by warhol
You've raised some interesting questions in your OP. I agree with you on your point that part of women's underachievement in society is due to their social oppression.

I can try and explain what I believe are the main reasons for their subjugation in a few points...

From the beginning of human interaction, there must have been something apparent to cause women's inferiority. The most obvious answer would be that it's due to physical inadequacies (although de Beauvoir also brings up several psychological reasons), as men are taller and stronger whereas women are weaker and have the physical burden of pregnancy, which limits their productive capacity.

From the early ages, like the time of Nordic hunters, it seemed natural for men to go and hunt for food for himself, the wife and the children whilst women stayed at home to take care of the children (an instinctive assumption that the mother should care for the child she carried). This kind of dependency on men for food and thus survival creates an interesting gender dynamic where men are superior and women are trapped by their immanence.

Woman needs to be married because she cannot survive without the food gathered, and later on money earned, by man. This dependency empowers man.

As society becomes more structured, the act of gathering food is transformed into jobs in trade, farming, etc. The structure of society becomes more convoluted and, as men are in the position of power through having jobs, they are able to shape society to cater for their needs through the laws they enforce - thus a patriarchal society is created.
They make laws that ensure that only men can read, write and get an education and create these 'conjugal rights'. Women are therefore trapped in their position of inferiority.

I'd also say that Genesis 2-3 in the Bible depicts Eve as inferior to Adam: physically, mentally, intellectually, and created from Adam. As an influential text for all the centuries to pass, it indoctrinates an idea of female subjugation.

I could go on...

Fantastic response, exactly the kind of thing I was looking for when I made the thread!

That explains it very well, it's the first response that actually responds to the points I made and provides the reasoning. Thanks, will definitely read into the book you recommended.
Having sampled both sides. I vote men. I'm not biased but women are just more work.
Reply 68
Original post by Billydodger
Huh? I don't think you understood my post. Im saying no female could be bothered to reply as it's not even any kind of proper argument which he posted. Hence the phrase "he's not even worth it". You've basically just reiterated my post. Was this your intent? I'm a girl btw.

Yes I understood your post. I wasn't saying that your post was unsubstantiated etc., I was talking about the post you were quoting! I was basically just backing up what you were saying. :smile:
Why would it really matter if one sex is better than the other? What difference does it make to your daily life? Nothing
Reply 70
In the early days of humans, before tools and even after they came about, strength would have been an amazing advantage - and men are stronger than women. Also, being pregnant for months on end would have been a disadvantage - women are the ones who have babies.

I think better is the wrong word. Men and women are different and more suited to different things. Both are needed for the advancement and continuation of mankind.
Reply 71
Original post by EskimoJo

I think better is the wrong word. Men and women are different and more suited to different things. Both are needed for the advancement and continuation of mankind.

Sooo many people make this statement. Constantly. What do you mean by it?

I agree that women are clearly suited to the physical act of giving birth more than men, as it is impossible for a man to do this naturally. I agree that men are on average probably better at physical tasks involving large amounts of strength, because they tend to be stronger.

But in the modern world, I can't think of a single other area in which men and women are suited to 'different things'. Name some.
Yes, agreed. Men and women are different, but no one sex is better than the other in any way
Reply 73
Original post by Roloqueen
Sooo many people make this statement. Constantly. What do you mean by it?

I agree that women are clearly suited to the physical act of giving birth more than men, as it is impossible for a man to do this naturally. I agree that men are on average probably better at physical tasks involving large amounts of strength, because they tend to be stronger.

But in the modern world, I can't think of a single other area in which men and women are suited to 'different things'. Name some.

No. Go meet some more people.
Reply 74
Original post by Kew
When there's a well-thought through, reasoned, backed-up argument to argue against then I will - but when it's just unsubstantiated insults (as with the post you quoted), what's the point in replying? Posts like that make me wonder what world the poster is living in, considering that the vast majority of women I know and work with are easily as rational and intelligent as men.

Nice cop out. My post did not contain a single insult. The fact that you perceived it as such implies a clear lack of understanding and judgment on your part. The fact that I labelled men superior to women is not an insult - I am simply laying down the facts. Do you want me to apologise because this is not what you wanted to hear?

As for what world I'm living in, I'm living in the real one. You know, the one where people give the harsh and honest truth and don't make up lies to make people feel better. Probably doesn't ring any bells with you does it?

As for your claim that the women you work with are as intelligent as men, well done on pointing out a minority. Too bad my point still very much stands (as I was talking about the majority).

Original post by lovely_me
Hence, I was simply inquiring as whether you perceive emotion as a bad thing?

Yes emotion is a 'bad thing' when comparing superiority of the two genders. It stifles clear judgment and compromises objective and rational thought, both of which are very important components of mental fortitude.

Original post by lovely_me
Btw, have you got a source for your statement, that the majority of women aren't truly capable of rational thought, or else it seems a trifle like hopeless hyperbole.

My only source is my own eyes and ears. I've simply noticed in my experiences that, statistically and on average, more smart (read: superior) men exist than women. It's a shame I can't dish out a scientist's journal or even a newspaper article on this (would there even be any point?) - though I'm pretty sure none exist as it would probably be deemed 'politically incorrect'.
Reply 75
Original post by Ex Death
Nice cop out. My post did not contain a single insult. The fact that you perceived it as such implies a clear lack of understanding and judgment on your part. The fact that I labelled men superior to women is not an insult - I am simply laying down the facts. Do you want me to apologise because this is not what you wanted to hear?

You claim that the majority of women are not capable of rational thought. I'd say that being accused of being silly, irrational etc. is an insult and an affront - as you'd see for yourself if I called you that. It's as much an insult as is being called stupid or lazy.

I'll believe that what you say is 'fact' when you start actually providing evidence to back it up. I've seen no sign of any so far.

As for what world I'm living in, I'm living in the real one. You know, the one where people give the harsh and honest truth and don't make up lies to make people feel better. Probably doesn't ring any bells with you does it?

I'm perfectly acquainted with the real world, thank you very much.

As for your claim that the women you work with are as intelligent as men, well done on pointing out a minority. Too bad my point still very much stands (as I was talking about the majority).

Your point doesn't stand until you can prove that it applies to the majority.

My only source is my own eyes and ears. I've simply noticed in my experiences that, statistically and on average, more smart (read: superior) men exist than women. It's a shame I can't dish out a scientist's journal or even a newspaper article on this (would there even be any point?) - though I'm pretty sure none exist as it would probably be deemed 'politically incorrect'.

I agree, it's a shame you haven't provided any articles from scientific journals. It would lend a lot more weight to your argument.
Don't people have this "Boys are better than girls. Girls are better than boys" argument when they're about 12? We're different, but equal. One sex is not necessarily better than the other.
Reply 77
Original post by de_monies
Don't people have this "Boys are better than girls. Girls are better than boys" argument when they're about 12? We're different, but equal. One sex is not necessarily better than the other.

Couldn't agree more.
Reply 78
Original post by Kew
You claim that the majority of women are not capable of rational thought. I'd say that being accused of being silly, irrational etc. is an insult and an affront - as you'd see for yourself if I called you that. It's as much an insult as is being called stupid or lazy.

I'll believe that what you say is 'fact' when you start actually providing evidence to back it up. I've seen no sign of any so far.

I'm perfectly acquainted with the real world, thank you very much.

Your point doesn't stand until you can prove that it applies to the majority.

I agree, it's a shame you haven't provided any articles from scientific journals. It would lend a lot more weight to your argument.

Let me start off by asking a rather philosophical question: Are you actually being f*cking serious? The notion of 'most women not being capable of rational thought' is not an insult. It is simply an observed fact. This isn't hard. Alternatively, if I were to say that YOU were incapable of rational thought then that might be considered an insult as it would be on a personal level (I must say it is becoming increasingly tempting to do so).

Fact is, you are simply in denial because you happen to share the same gender as the one in question. If you take myself, I am completely capable of rational and objective thought. If we were to discuss, say, rap music, I wouldn't hesitate to claim that all white rappers are terrible - and this is the important bit - despite actually being white myself. It is by no means insulting, it is simply the truth. Likewise, if I was a woman I would have the sense to realise that the male sex is is, on average, superior irrespective of my own merits or shortcomings.

As for your insistence of presenting evidence, like I've already said I claim to have none. I'm simply speaking from observed experiences, which in my opinion are pretty universal as well as obvious. Women, on average, say more stupid sh*t than men, while those at the top of their respective fields are, more often than not, men. If you'll only believe scientific data from 'peer-reviewed articles' by alleged 'intellectuals' presented under your nose then you might want to re-evaluate the potential of using one's own eyes, ears, mouth and, dare-I-say-it, brain when it comes to gathering information.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 79
Original post by Ex Death
Let me start off by asking a rather philosophical question: Are you actually being f*cking serious? The notion of 'most women not being capable of rational thought' is not an insult. It is simply an observed fact. This isn't hard. Alternatively, if I were to say that YOU were incapable of rational thought then that might be considered an insult as it would be on a personal level (I must say it is becoming increasingly tempting to do so).

It is not an 'observed fact' that most women are incapable of thinking rationally, as you would see if you weren't so blinded by your assumptions, so yes it is an insult. It is possible to insult on a personal level a group of people as well as an individual, by the way. I don't see what's difficult to understand about that. I too am becoming increasingly tempted in the way you mention in your final sentence, though I wouldn't actually stoop that low personally.

Fact is, you are simply in denial because you happen to share the same gender as the one in question. If you take myself, I am completely capable of rational and objective thought. If we were to discuss, say, rap music, I wouldn't hesitate to claim that all white rappers are terrible - and this is the important bit - despite actually being white myself. It is by no means insulting, it is simply the truth. Likewise, if I was a woman I would have the sense to realise that the male sex is is, on average, superior irrespective of my own merits or shortcomings.

Fact is, I am just as capable of observing the world around me objectively as you are. That I am female makes no difference to my views - if I was male I would still acknowledge that the majority of the women I work with, live with, know and encounter every day are just normal, rational human beings. Incidently, isn't it strange how apparently being female makes me biased, yet being male doesn't bias you at all? :rolleyes:

As for your insistence of presenting evidence, like I've already said I claim to have none. I'm simply speaking from observed experiences, which in my opinion are pretty universal as well as obvious. Women, on average, say more stupid sh*t than men, while those at the top of their respective fields are, more often than not, men. If you'll only believe scientific data from 'peer-reviewed articles' by alleged 'intellectuals' presented under your nose then you might want to re-evaluate the potential of using one's own eyes, ears, mouth and, dare-I-say-it, brain when it comes to gathering information.

Oh, stupid me, for actually wanting proper, empirical evidence with a sound basis in fact! You admit yourself that you have no proof or evidence, so you're just digging yourself ever deeper. Let's face it, if the assumptions you put forward are indeed facts then they would be corroborated by academic research. If anyone presents any such research in this thread then I'd be perfectly happy to consider it - though I very much doubt that any could be found to back up the claim that the majority of women are apparently 'incapable' of rational thought.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply