The Student Room Group

'I didn't think of Iraqis as humans,' says U.S. soldier who raped 14-year-old girl

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Drewski
And it's not possible for different people to be affected differently by the events they go through?

Point being? That's a poor excuse to try excuse one's actions. You can apply generally to all areas of life, not just war, and perhaps you'll see how stupid that sounds.

I'm different, life has affected me differently, there for I cannot be blamed completely for my actions.

The irony of War is that it is apparently to bring about greater peace.
Reply 81
This is what war does. I have always been against war.
Awful awful person, this kind of thing makes me so angry. Disgusting. I'm not sure if I believe people like this can reform, killing is awful.. killing innocent people even more so.. but I think it really does take a very sick heart to rape, mix forced sex and violence and humiliate his victims before killing them.
He was probably seriously messed up from the war as well. I'm sure someone's already said it before but the whole thing is just bad.
Reply 84
Original post by MissFanatical
i'm not too sharp on army terminology, wiki called it a 'unit,' perhaps i'd have been better to call it that.

and of course there are wonderful people in the army, but for so many to act in such a vicious way? i mean, what are the chances of such a large group of murderous men having put together randomly? i don't think it's possible not to consider the training and indoctrination they've gone through as a massive, massive factor. i just wish more people would consider it before quoting 'an eye for an eye' etc. it scares me that people are still so intent on retribution in this day and age, rather than from tackling the problem at the source. then again, if they weren't trained to see the enemy as animals, they prob wouldn't kill them and then they'd lose the war :| but then again they shouldn't be there in the first place. but then again... etc etc D: D:

Different sizes of groups get different names, A Corps is mahoosive, made up of several Armies, which in turn are made up of Battalions, each made up of several Regiments, 2-400 people per regiment, made up of Companies of 30-60 people.

And again, if we're going by the Vietnam incident as a marker, then we're looking at a total strength of about 1.8million people, so finding 30 nutjob people isn't exactly too much of a stretch of the imagination.
Reply 85
He didnt plan it right.If he did he would be a free man.

And the worse thing id that he had a easy way to get away with it as its war.He shouldve killed the girl.

Oh well.Life in jail.
Reply 86
Original post by Yawn11
Point being? That's a poor excuse to try excuse one's actions. You can apply generally to all areas of life, not just war, and perhaps you'll see how stupid that sounds.

I'm different, life has affected me differently, there for I cannot be blamed completely for my actions.

The irony of War is that it is apparently to bring about greater peace.

Point being that when we're talking about something that has been scientifically proven to adversely affect someone's mental state we can't judge everyone by the same standards.

Nb, this is categorically not the same as saying he should be forgiven or let off or anything even remotely similar, but that treating it in such a black and white manner is foolish.
Original post by Extricated
Typical america, dumb, inhumane. Obscene behaviour. I feel physically sick.

Congratulations for jumping on a tired, cliched bandwagon. This type of behaviour, while reprehensible, is symptomatic of every war in every country in every era with every time of people since time began, so to say "Typical America" makes you appear to be an ignorant, sensationalist moron.
Original post by BoxesAndBangles
Awful awful person, this kind of thing makes me so angry. Disgusting. I'm not sure if I believe people like this can reform, killing is awful.. killing innocent people even more so.. but I think it really does take a very sick heart to rape, mix forced sex and violence and humiliate his victims before killing them.

No, it doesn't take "a very sick heart", it takes merely a young man who is exposed to constant violence and other such negative ideologies, who is constantly terrified for his life and believes that he is going to die where he is. I have no doubt that if we had known the man at school or otherwise, he would have been normal.

To state that a person is "sick" is meaningless, incorrect and solves nothing.
Original post by MissFanatical
i'm not too sharp on army terminology, wiki called it a 'unit,' perhaps i'd have been better to call it that.

and of course there are wonderful people in the army, but for so many to act in such a vicious way? i mean, what are the chances of such a large group of murderous men having put together randomly? i don't think it's possible not to consider the training and indoctrination they've gone through as a massive, massive factor. i just wish more people would consider it before quoting 'an eye for an eye' etc. it scares me that people are still so intent on retribution in this day and age, rather than from tackling the problem at the source. then again, if they weren't trained to see the enemy as animals, they prob wouldn't kill them and then they'd lose the war :| but then again they shouldn't be there in the first place. but then again... etc etc D: D:

well if all evil people like him were dead we wouldn't have a problem
Also in the army you are required to kill people so are you really that shocked that around 30 evil murderous people could be put together i mean honestly why can't you accept some people are just plain evil
Reply 90
Im suprised this has been published.
One of many cases
Reply 91
Well if he doesn't think of iraqis as human wth was he doing raping an iraqi girl? Indulging in beastality, I hope he gets the same treatment in jail
Reply 92
Original post by TheSadReaper
HAHAHAHAHA no, b**** dissing muslims and yeat got Muhammed Ali's quote in your sig!

Dumbass chavy p**** much?

Yes, you have p*sse* me off. :mad:

Lol it was ironic...look at my previous posts.

Am a Sunni, Pakistani Muslim.
what a disgusting, inbred peice of s***, hope he gets ass raped in prison.
Original post by KingMessi
No, it doesn't take "a very sick heart", it takes merely a young man who is exposed to constant violence and other such negative ideologies, who is constantly terrified for his life and believes that he is going to die where he is. I have no doubt that if we had known the man at school or otherwise, he would have been normal.

To state that a person is "sick" is meaningless, incorrect and solves nothing.

yet most soldiers who go through exactly the same as he has dont rape a young innocent girl and kill her family Why can't some people get it into their heads that there are sick and twisted people in this world and he is one of them. As far as i'm concerned he should be hanged like saddam hussien
Reply 95
Original post by littleangel9914
yet most soldiers who go through exactly the same as he has dont rape a young innocent girl and kill her family Why can't some people get it into their heads that there are sick and twisted people in this world and he is one of them. As far as i'm concerned he should be hanged like saddam hussien

And all people are the same? Yeah, other soldiers go through the same training and are exposed to the same levels of violence. Are they all supposed to react in exactly the same ways to it? To say he's sick and twisted is true, to imply he's always been that way is wrong.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 96
How about instead of all the negatives and insanity soilders, we look at something nicer?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1340033/British-soldier-refused-shoot-insurgent-save-child.html
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 97
Original post by Drewski
Point being that when we're talking about something that has been scientifically proven to adversely affect someone's mental state we can't judge everyone by the same standards.

Nb, this is categorically not the same as saying he should be forgiven or let off or anything even remotely similar, but that treating it in such a black and white manner is foolish.

No one's denying being war can have serious psychological effects. But this is not only common knowledge, but also warned before joining the army.

And for me, isn't enough to excuse thi sort of behaviour.
Original post by Extricated
Typical america, dumb, inhumane. Obscene behaviour. I feel physically sick.

Not typical america. don't generalize a nation of 300 million people into the sick act of one mentally unstable soldier. It's not like the UK army hasn't committed atrocities.
Reply 99
What's worse about this crime is the group nature of it, that 4 soilder's participated in the crime and 1 soilder watched on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending