The Student Room Group

Approaching a big roundabout on a hill

How do I approach this?

Everytime I come home from the town, the route home has a fairly steep slope at a roundabout, but the thing is:

I don't know whether to use the brake when I'm slowly inching forward as the traffic moves up hill with the clutch. Or use the brakes, find the bite, and quickly apply gas before the car starts to roll back?

Would I burn the clutch if I held it at the biting pont for too long?

How should I approach it?
Reply 1
Get the bus.
This is what I would do:
If there are cars in front of you / if the roundabout is busy and you have to wait then put the handbrake on.
However if I know there is going to be a gap soon I keep it at biting point until I can go.
Reply 3
Original post by spikeymike
How do I approach this?

Everytime I come home from the town, the route home has a fairly steep slope at a roundabout, but the thing is:

I don't know whether to use the brake when I'm slowly inching forward as the traffic moves up hill with the clutch. Or use the brakes, find the bite, and quickly apply gas before the car starts to roll back?

Would I burn the clutch if I held it at the biting pont for too long?

How should I approach it?

Slow down as you approach the roundabout, put the car in the optimistic gear (3rd) and be at about 20 - 30mph ideally (depends on the size of the roundabout obviously)

If you can take it in 3rd, go for it. If there are cars on the roundabout, slow up, slide it into 2nd and slip out into a gap.

If you can see that you are going to be stationary, clutch down 1st, then catch it and move out without applying the handbrake.

If you are stationary for a while and your clutch control isn't great then you will have to use the handbrake. Its easier to hold it on the clutch though; I haven't had to use the handbrake on a slope since I was a learner.

It's always easier to slow down earlier then time a gradual acceleration into the gap, than to arrive at the roundabout quickly, brake to a stop, and have to accelerate from a standing start. The sooner you can get a read on your potential gap the better you can plan your attack.

No you won't burn your clutch unless you are using a lot of accelerator. Modern cars are designed for you to be able to hold it on the clutch almost indefinitely.
Could use the handbrake when you actually stop, though if you're like me you'll never use it except when parking. Personally I'd probably just use the clutch to hold it if the traffic is moving slowly but steadily. It won't burn the clutch. I think. At least I've never burnt mine so far doing it. :tongue:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
I'm not sure I fully understand the road layout. Would it be possible to give a Google streetview link?
Reply 6
Original post by Potally_Tissed
Could use the handbrake when you actually stop, though if you're like me you'll never use it except when parking. Personally I'd probably just use the clutch to hold it if the traffic is moving slowly but steadily. It won't burn the clutch. I think. At least I've never burnt mine so far doing it. :tongue:

I do the same, and my car used to be one that learners used but the clutch is still fine. The only time I use the parking brake uphill is behind a traffic light where you know you're not going anywhere for a while...apart from that I find it easier using clutch control.
Original post by DeeWave
I'm not sure I fully understand the road layout. Would it be possible to give a Google streetview link?

The road goes up a fairly steep hill to a roundabout. The roundabout itself isn't really relevant, except that it causes traffic moving up the hill to back up and move slowly.

I would provide a diagram made with MS Paint, but I'm crap at drawing stuff using a laptop touchpad.
Reply 8
Original post by py0alb
Slow down as you approach the roundabout, put the car in the optimistic gear (3rd) and be at about 20 - 30mph ideally (depends on the size of the roundabout obviously)

If you can take it in 3rd, go for it. If there are cars on the roundabout, slow up, slide it into 2nd and slip out into a gap.

If you can see that you are going to be stationary, clutch down 1st, then catch it and move out without applying the handbrake.

If you are stationary for a while and your clutch control isn't great then you will have to use the handbrake. Its easier to hold it on the clutch though; I haven't had to use the handbrake on a slope since I was a learner.

It's always easier to slow down earlier then time a gradual acceleration into the gap, than to arrive at the roundabout quickly, brake to a stop, and have to accelerate from a standing start. The sooner you can get a read on your potential gap the better you can plan your attack.

No you won't burn your clutch unless you are using a lot of accelerator. Modern cars are designed for you to be able to hold it on the clutch almost indefinitely.

Original post by bigmo7
I do the same, and my car used to be one that learners used but the clutch is still fine. The only time I use the parking brake uphill is behind a traffic light where you know you're not going anywhere for a while...apart from that I find it easier using clutch control.

Ok so, if I just use clutch control, I guess I'd just slowly inch forward with the clutch if I was behind cars up the hill - would I just inch forward enough so that I wouldn't have use the brakes? And just keep it on the bite with some gas?
Ok so, if I just use clutch control, I guess I'd just slowly inch forward with the clutch if I was behind cars up the hill - would I just inch forward enough so that I wouldn't have use the brakes? And just keep it on the bite with some gas?

Yep, though if it takes a few minutes and you have a heavy clutch then it might not be ideal. Very rarely I break my "the handbrake is no use for anything except parking" rule and give my leg a rest.
Reply 10
Yep, though if it takes a few minutes and you have a heavy clutch then it might not be ideal. Very rarely I break my "the handbrake is no use for anything except parking" rule and give my leg a rest.

Ok cool, I'll keep that in mind, cheers. :smile:

Last question, does the car the consume more fuel if you have the gas on the bite a lot? e.g the clutch control on a hill
Reply 11
I would probably only use it if we were going really slowly, in which case I'd be likely to let the gap open up in front a bit and go up the hill in steps. Or if I wanted to give my feet a rest. Or, crucially, if I was conscious at how much I was wasting fuel by buggering about pressing the accelerator over and over again.
Ok cool, I'll keep that in mind, cheers. :smile:

Last question, does the car the consume more fuel if you have the gas on the bite a lot? e.g the clutch control on a hill

No more than it normally would at whatever rpm the engine is at. You'll use very slightly more fuel on a hill than if it was flat, as you'll need the revs a little bit higher to prevent the car moving.
Reply 13

You could keep it where it is or edge forwards...drop the clutch if you're getting too close or you wanna stop but keep in mind you can roll back if you drop it too much.

You could try alternating from the foot brake to the accelerator, usually if you're quick enough you won't roll back much and it solves the problem of keeping it on the biting point for too long if its really busy.
Yeah, as others have said, I'd probably just slow down gradually on approach, and, if I was gonna have to stop, gently drop into 1st when I was slow enough, then clutch to bite, just enough gas to stop stalling then clutch down a fraction of a hair to prevent forward movement if needed.

I probably should handbrake it, but I'm a lazy fecker and can't be bothered fannying around with that any more TBH.
Try to approach the traffic queue at a speed that allows the traffic to move off before you catch up with it. Its better not to stop totally on a hill if possible, but you don't want to be holding the car on the biting point for too long, thats a good way to wear out your clutch.

On a hil, sometimes you just have to use the handbrake a few times if you can't keep the car rolling slowly. Finally, when you do reach the roundabout try to be rolling slightly when you arrive, as this makes it easier to pull out quickly into a gap in the traffic.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending