The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Current UCL students' chat thread!

Scroll to see replies

Malcolm Grant with a 400k or whatever remuneration, and soon to be nine grand per head going to college, is still going to charge the students forty grand to clear up.
"Look, we'll raise the fees especially for you!"

Makes me want to take a wrecking ball to his office to be honest.
(edited 13 years ago)
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by rockrunride
Malcolm Grant with a 400k or whatever remuneration, and soon to be nine grand per head going to college, is still going to charge the students forty grand to clear up.
"Look, we'll raise the fees especially for you!"

Makes me want to take a wrecking ball to his office to be honest.

The fact he's said 'move out peacefully now, or pay £40,000' is disgusting. The man is odious.
Original post by paddy
Chalk? You guys are pissed at some chalk? It washes right off, it's not like it's spray paint :lolwut:

And "wah wah wah, war memorial, wah wah wah" oh SHUT THE **** UP. MY GOD, A) IT'S AN INANIMATE OBJECT, B) MOST PEOPLE ASSOCIATED WITH THAT ARE DEAD. WHO THE SOD CARES? PEOPLE WITH TOO MUCH TIME ON THEIR HAND CLEARLY.

It's a memorial. If you need some cement and bricks to remember some dead people then take some bloody ginko tablets.

Disrespectful? THEY ARE DEAD. END OF. They are too busy being dead to care and their relatives clearly have far too much time on their hands if they care.

"People gave their lives etc" Yes and does that make it right?. If I gave my life so you could paint your toenails pink would that mean you were obliged to do so?

Oh and then there is the fact that many were pressured into joining the army against their will. I mean do you REALLY want to get into the whole topic of people being pressured into joining the army? Because with the whole movement of the white feather I'm pretty sure I have you beat. Why the hell are we romanticizing the second world war? .

-_______-

I hate the chalk as it makes the pretty UCL look disgusting. Everytime i enter the quad on my way to lecture etc my eyes meet those vile, childish comments that piss me off. Whatever did the buildings do to them?! -___-
Reply 1263
Original post by time.to.dance
-_______-

I hate the chalk as it makes the pretty UCL look disgusting. Everytime i enter the quad on my way to lecture etc my eyes meet those vile, childish comments that piss me off. Whatever did the buildings do to them?! -___-

So? When I first came to UCL it had a tree that bore fruit which smelled like vomit when it fell. Seriously, everytime I walked through the quad it would make me want to throw up. Chalk is nothing.
*****sh UCL SELCS Examiners
The class of honours degree shall be determined by the relevant Board of Examiners on the basis of the results obtained in 11.5 course units, to be selected as follows:
a) The best 3.0 course units from Year 1;
b) The best 3.5 course units from Year 2;
c) The 1.0 Year-Abroad unit (from either two 0.5 units or 1.0 whole unit, as appropriate);
d) The 4.0 course units taken in Year 4.
Classification will be based in the first instance on a consideration of the mean of the 11.5 units of assessment, averaged for each year and to be weighted 1 : 3 : 5: 5 , as follows:
e) Year 1: 1
f) Year 2: 3
g) Year 3: 5
h) Year 4: 5
The Year-Abroad unit (or two half units, as appropriate) will be given a weighting of 5.

That last sentence is a killer blow seeing as I'm planning on not going to an exam on Friday mainly because:

1) I booked my ticket home for Thursday before I knew about the exam
2) I would fail the exam anyway
3) I've already been assessed once on the course which I practically failed

Shy me let this get too late. I'd be blasted at from all sides if I attempted to panic to uni in Avignon or UCL about it.

Panic.
(edited 13 years ago)
Table exams and coursework. However there's no formal organisation for it: all table exams (in Avignon anyway) in a subject are taken in class and are announced scarily close to said date. I'm doing 0.5 CU (in ECTS equivalent) of exams in France and then another half in Spain. 1 CU assessed doesn't sound bad compared to the 4 next year, but when it's averaged and weighted like that it's draconian considering I'm living in a foreign country with a different language (and my laptop's broken).

What do they think, that I'm a ****ing robot?
(edited 13 years ago)
Rebooked my ticket. Now 22 out of pocket (or 45 as that's how much the new ticket cost). Decided that it would at least be sensible to turn up to my exam.

Plus I found a 15 a night hostel in Paris for the weekend.

Clear conscience, I suppose.
I'm quite disgusted at the people in this thread who say that the war memorial doesn't matter if it's desecrated. Because the dead people are dead and you don't agree with their war? There are so many things wrong with that sentence, let alone starting on the implications of the entire disrespect for memorials. Yeah, it's bricks and morter. Paddy said (it was Paddy?) in his drunkness that if you need bricks to remember something you're a **** - well, tbh, I'd rather have the memorials than not, so kids will ask their parents what it's for. My cousin, granddaughter of a Holocaust survivor, knows **** all about the Holocaust. That's a problem. It's a massive problem when kids don't know. They won't listen in school (for the majority of kids, they just won't) and they won't learn about it at home if the parents don't know and won't tell them. Consider the fact that a lot of people in Britain today ARE uneducated past secondary school and aren't interested in history. They WON'T educate their children about this stuff - but they'll see poppy wreaths and see the memorial on TV and they'll see stuff like the Portico. It'd be like Poland demolishing its Holocaust memorials. Just no. There is so much wrong with that argument, that if you need to see something to remember it it's stupid - it's just such CRAP to say that. It's really offensive to anyone that has an ounce of respect for PEACE. Yeah, PEACE. If people forget the horrors of war, they'll not be bothered about having another one. ****'s sake, people.

Anyway, I'm dropping out.
Original post by Noémie
I'm quite disgusted at the people in this thread who say that the war memorial doesn't matter if it's desecrated. Because the dead people are dead and you don't agree with their war?

It wasn't THEIR WAR. Most of them were CONSCRIPTED. And I'm not saying there is no negative value to be attached in desecrating a war memorial, but that desecrating a war memorial isn't as inconceivably awful as all of you are making out. It's not good, no. But it's not "disgusting", "vile", "sickening", blah blah blah. I will not budge AT ALL on this point.

There are so many things wrong with that sentence, let alone starting on the implications of the entire disrespect for memorials. Yeah, it's bricks and morter. Paddy said (it was Paddy?) in his drunkness that if you need bricks to remember something you're a **** - well, tbh, I'd rather have the memorials than not, so kids will ask their parents what it's for. My cousin, granddaughter of a Holocaust survivor, knows **** all about the Holocaust. That's a problem. It's a massive problem when kids don't know. They won't listen in school (for the majority of kids, they just won't) and they won't learn about it at home if the parents don't know and won't tell them. Consider the fact that a lot of people in Britain today ARE uneducated past secondary school and aren't interested in history. They WON'T educate their children about this stuff - but they'll see poppy wreaths and see the memorial on TV and they'll see stuff like the Portico.

Yeah I see people who aren't educated past secondary school around the Portico all the time. Not. If your problem is with a lack of education about the things that war memorials commemorate I will say this:

1) Knowing what they're about doesn't make you respect them more (as evidenced by the fact that educated people desecrated them)
2) Memorialising history encourages idealisation and myths about that history
3) The way to rectify a lack of education about history is to actually educate people about history (and not the myths thereof).

A bit of stone in the street does not educate anyone about anything.

It'd be like Poland demolishing its Holocaust memorials.

No it wouldn't. If the British government went out and demolished these memorials, and if the memorials themselves acknowledged that the people murdered in WWI were sent out unnecessarily by their respective governments to die then maybe.

Just no. There is so much wrong with that argument, that if you need to see something to remember it it's stupid - it's just such CRAP to say that. It's really offensive to anyone that has an ounce of respect for PEACE. Yeah, PEACE. If people forget the horrors of war, they'll not be bothered about having another one. ****'s sake, people.

Anyway, I'm dropping out.

Right because war memorials have been so good at preventing wars? Because everybody making such a massive fuss about "disrespecting" statues is so anti-war?
Yeah, why does the quad always smell like someones thrown up there?
Chirping in to say that I'm stuck in Paris. Hotel room reimbursed by Eurostar though, not bad at all! Just means I've got to get to the station at 5 tomorrow morning. Dare say I'll add to the six hours I've already waited for today D:
Reply 1271
Original post by Waterstorm
Yeah, why does the quad always smell like someones thrown up there?

Some country donated a tree to UCL that bears fruit which releases a chemical often found in vomit :fyi:
Reply 1272
what? which tree is this?

I've never noticed it.
Reply 1273
Original post by paddy
Some country donated a tree to UCL that bears fruit which releases a chemical often found in vomit :fyi:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ginkgo_biloba

UCL musta done something to piss off whoever sent this. I highly doubt anyone thinks this would make a good gift. =/

Original post by PJ991
what? which tree is this?

I've never noticed it.

When you walk into the main gates, there are two small trees eitherside of the security booths.
Reply 1274
first year at UCL is raping us baaaaaaaaaad. Anyone else find this you mofos : D
Reply 1275
Original post by time.to.dance
-_______-

I was actually pleased to see that they used chalks. That's cleaning-friendly.
Back home they'd use markers and stuff.
Reply 1276
there's a hairdressers in the ULU, isn't there? If there is, does anyone know if it's any good and roughly how much it costs?

or can anyone recommend a place nearby?
Reply 1277
There's a hairdresser in UCLU, not sure about ULU. I don't actually know anyone who has been to it, but it always seems to have customers, so it can't be that awful. There's probably a price list somewhere on the union website, I'm sure I've looked it up before!
Reply 1278
awww thanks. I'd been looking on ULU site because I'm sure I saw a place in there. Maybe there is. But yeah, I've just checked UCLU and there's a price list for the place in Gordon Street.

More fool me.

Thanks.
Reply 1279
No problem. I don't really ever go to ULU, so there might be one there as well.

How are you finding first year? I'm currently trying to pretend I'm a Fresher again and don't have a stupid amount of work to do...:p:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending