The Student Room Group

How do you feel when meeting your gf/bf's parents the first time?

Not done this for a while, any tips to share?

It's kinda weird because she is bringing me home for xmas and not really sure what to expect.

Scroll to see replies

Hope the mums hot, my last GF mum thought I was hot, but she was a hot buttaz so I didn't care.
are you staying with them for a few days, or just going to meet them for a few hours?

just be polite and friendly. they'll probably realise that it's pretty intimidating to be 'meeting the family' and be really nice.
If you're nice just be yourself, don't suck up or they'll see through it. If you're NOT nice you're screwed :smile:
Reply 4
It's nerve wracking meeting the parents for the first time. I also get nervous the first time they meet my parents. Just be polite and you'll be fine
Reply 5
So far the general consensus is that nerve-wracking event is nerve-wracking.

I seriously had not thought about it. I have stayed with friends and their parents before and always got along well with them. This year I am going to be staying with my boyfriend's families (plural, divorced parents, gonna live in both houses) for New Years and I don't really see how it will be any different.
I was terrified the first time I met my boyfriend's parents! I think I'd be scared if I met them again as well, I've only ever really spoken to them for about five minutes at a time. I'm a wimp but they're quite strict so I think I have reason to be nervous haha.
Reply 7
Man, i'd be more concerned about them coming to my house and meeting my mental parents. Swear down
I wasn't really nervous until his dad started questioning me...
Although I freaked out a little bit when his dad asked what fruit I would be, if I were a fruit.
I had no idea what to answer, I was just shouting out fruit.
Reply 9
I expect I'd be less nervous than when they meet my parents.
You should just calm down and go with it tbh.

Seriously the dad is gonna hate you either way for taking his little girl. So just go along with all his crap for a few times you meet him then eventually you can ask him to ease up and he probably will.

I'm assuming your gf is over 16 and by that time mothers generally trust there daughters to choose bfs. I've never had a problem with a mother. They are usually very nice. It helps if you add a few nice touches like thinking about what you wear and spraying a bit of cologne. Then add some basic manners to the situation and I doubt the mother will have an issue.

My advice is just be a generally nice person. Don't make yourself heard too much but also don't be too quiete. Here's one from experience, if you have any extreme views about anything e.g. politics, religion etc. I would keep them to yourself for now :-)

Don't be afraid to big yourself up as well. pretend you're writing a personal statement. Being noble doesn't look good. Then again neither does boasting. So if you get asked something just agree and give a quick explanation. e.g. Your captain of the regional rugby team. Then don't mention it again unless someone asks.

Good luck
gf's dad is deputy head of nuclear energy in russia. very interesting first meeting considering none of us could speak the respective languages
Reply 12
Original post by neiljeff123
gf's dad is deputy head of nuclear energy in russia. very interesting first meeting considering none of us could speak the respective languages

Trololol.

+Rep :biggrin:
Make sure you end all disagreements you have with the father with the phrase: "Oh yeah? Well I'm SHAGGING YOUR DAUGHTER".

Guaranteed success :top2:
I have never found it scary, to be honest. Just be polite and if you're meeting them for long enough, strike up conversation, smile and try to 'win them over', if you know what I mean.
Original post by tailschao
Make sure you end all disagreements you have with the father with the phrase: "Oh yeah? Well I'm SHAGGING YOUR DAUGHTER".

Guaranteed success :top2:

Hahahahaha, I doubt that'll work :biggrin:
Reply 16
Just don't overdo it while trying to impress them somehow! They're not expecting their daughter to hook up with a comedian or a clown. Show good manners, that'll impress them above anything else. You may try to make conversation - but again, don't overdo it.

Like everyone else here said: smile, be polite, remain calm.
Well my gf's adoptive parents used to abuse her so meeting them wasn't fun (their dad took pictures of our house so he could prove to the mum that we were clearly just lazy ****s and hey made the right decision by not submitig her SF forms so she couldn't get enough student loan and had to drop out).

Her biological mum was great, met her at her sisters wedding and we got on great.
(edited 13 years ago)
Meeting them wasn't so bad it was more the thought of the subsequent meetings that I dreaded because his Dad slagged me off to no end :h:
I usually put them off as much as possible. I hate people as it is, let alone being forced to have a conversation with someone about why I'm interested in their daughter and having to refrain from saying "Lovely personality, and she's got nice tits".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending