The Student Room Group

Help please!

So about a month ago, I got a wisdom tooth infection. It's half coming through and catching and cutting my cheek. I got given amoxicillin , which didn't do anything for a week so they then put me on a week of metronidazole. On a different matter I was then given trimethoprim for yet again another urine infection for a week. And a week ago I was just given azithromycin for something . So as you can see I've been given lots of antibiotics...

For the past week ive got what I suspect is another wisdom tooth infection and I've woken up this morning and it is Sooo painful my cheek is puffed out and I'm wandering whether to go to the dentist because they said they can't take it out unless it's fully out but it's just going to keep happening again and again cutting my cheek and infecting my mouth again, but I can only see them giving me antibiotics again, and tbh is it healthy for me to be taking so many all the time? Plus me and my bf haven't been able to have sex for a month and today would be the first day we would e able to ... But I want to rip my tooth out what do I do!
Original post by insignificant
So about a month ago, I got a wisdom tooth infection. It's half coming through and catching and cutting my cheek. I got given amoxicillin , which didn't do anything for a week so they then put me on a week of metronidazole. On a different matter I was then given trimethoprim for yet again another urine infection for a week. And a week ago I was just given azithromycin for something . So as you can see I've been given lots of antibiotics...

For the past week ive got what I suspect is another wisdom tooth infection and I've woken up this morning and it is Sooo painful my cheek is puffed out and I'm wandering whether to go to the dentist because they said they can't take it out unless it's fully out but it's just going to keep happening again and again cutting my cheek and infecting my mouth again, but I can only see them giving me antibiotics again, and tbh is it healthy for me to be taking so many all the time? Plus me and my bf haven't been able to have sex for a month and today would be the first day we would e able to ... But I want to rip my tooth out what do I do!

Obviously they do have side effects but you should be alright. Penicillins like Amoxcillin are only really dangerous when you're allergic to them or have kidney issues. The same goes for the others, minor side effects - nothing to worry about.

Bacterial resistance is another concern but overall, do what your doctor tells you to and you should be alright. I'm surprised by the Metronidazole choice though. Weird.
Original post by Misogynist
Obviously they do have side effects but you should be alright. Penicillins like Amoxcillin are only really dangerous when you're allergic to them or have kidney issues. The same goes for the others, minor side effects - nothing to worry about.

Bacterial resistance is another concern but overall, do what your doctor tells you to and you should be alright. I'm surprised by the Metronidazole choice though. Weird.

They said metronidazole is "very common in dentistry and is the next line of defence after amoxicillin" how come you are surprised if you don't mind me asking?
They said metronidazole is "very common in dentistry and is the next line of defence after amoxicillin" how come you are surprised if you don't mind me asking?

It's a non specific indication for metronidazole. (Acute gingivitis) It isn't very common I believe.
Original post by Misogynist
It's a non specific indication for metronidazole. (Acute gingivitis) It isn't very common I believe.

I have no idea what you are talking about but ok :smile:
Edit: I just googled it and this is what the dentist was describing to me practically: Pericoronitis is acute, painful inflammation of the gingival flap over a partly erupted tooth, usually around mandibular 3rd molars (wisdom teeth). Infection is common, and an abscess may develop. Pericoronitis often recurs as food gets trapped beneath the flap. The gingival flap disappears when the tooth is fully erupted.
(edited 13 years ago)

I think that metronidazole has been found to be effective against anaerobic bacterial infections.Probably it was found by chance to be effective in dental infections,which indicates that dental infections are caused at least in part by anaerobic bacteria. I had a couple of dental abscesses-ouch,ouch,and thrice ouch,-until i got a decent dentist,but i found metr...(flagyl) to be more effective than amoxil. I think your dentist ,or doctor,needs to refer you to a hospital dentist ,or fax max clinic,to have your wisdom tooth extracted.Good luck
Original post by Peace'n'loveman
I think that metronidazole has been found to be effective against anaerobic bacterial infections.Probably it was found by chance to be effective in dental infections,which indicates that dental infections are caused at least in part by anaerobic bacteria. I had a couple of dental abscesses-ouch,ouch,and thrice ouch,-until i got a decent dentist,but i found metr...(flagyl) to be more effective than amoxil. I think your dentist ,or doctor,needs to refer you to a hospital dentist ,or fax max clinic,to have your wisdom tooth extracted.Good luck

So do I but she said they can't take it out until it's fully through and it's only half through ? I don't know, I don't care, I just want the damn thing out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending