The Student Room Group

Stop complaining about the snow and clear it youself

Scroll to see replies

I think it's one of the reasons I pay council tax.
Reply 41
Original post by No Man
The US does stop and panic about snow like the UK if you're in the right place, just fyi.

Anyway, I have to agree with you for the most part, but that's not going to happen because people are selfish.

Babies in push chairs won't make able snow clearers for a good 12 years either.

5 years would be enough :tongue:
Yeah, people just need to get on with it really.

Something else that amuses me is when people clear snow off of their car on the driver's side of the windscreen, and nowhere else. I'm not surprised there are so many car accidents whenever there's snow.
The Russians etc must think we're a bunch of poofters.
Original post by Free-Spirit
So the government are trying to save money and all that jazz and lots of people keep complaining about the snow and how there isn't enough salt to keep roads clear and how the pavements aren't clear and the poor OAPs are slipping over. But lots of people are also complaining about the cuts, well if the government were to put more money into salt, then they'd have to take money away from other sectors... and then people would complain about that...

Well in Germany if somebody slips over in front of your house, it's your responsibility, so everybody just clears the snow from their drives and a bit of the road in front as well. (Of course there are exceptions if an individual is not able enough to clear the snow themselves) THAT'S how countries keep going, THAT'S how Canada and the US don't stop. (Of course they do sometimes, but not to the extent we do in the UK)
Whereas God forbid a bit of snow falls here and it's chaos, well that's because people are plain lazy, we expect our councils to baby us and keep us moving, but if we all chipped in and cleared a bit of snow then the UK wouldn't need to come to a stop.

What do you think?

This is far too communist for my liking :smile:
What about the bits of the road that aren't outside people's houses? ie bits that are by fields and things.
Reply 46
Original post by Free-Spirit
My parents bought 3 bags of grit this year so we clear our driveway, the pavement and the road and put a bit of grit on it... so there you go.

LOL, who in their right minds would buy grit??? :rolleyes:
Reply 47
I did clear it myself, I didn't moan about it, though :p:
Reply 48
Original post by smellysocks

The Government has made it quite clear earlier in the year that individuals can feel free to clear snow from paths, they will not be prosecuted as long as they do not intentionally make it worse. No one has ever been sued for this.

When was this?

Also, people in this country may not have been sued for making it worse during the snow BUT people have been sued under the same principle.
How about in country areas where there are large areas of pavement and road with no properties around? Who's meant to clear up that?

A lot of people do not own the piece of pavement in front of their road so why should they see it as their responsibility.

How hard is it to attach a brush at pavement height to snowploughs or gritting machines to clear off the pavements?
Original post by ALZ-93
LOL, who in their right minds would buy grit??? :rolleyes:

People who need to use their car in the winter and therefore need to be able to get onto and off their drive.
Original post by Steph90
When was this?

Also, people in this country may not have been sued for making it worse during the snow BUT people have been sued under the same principle.

This was the 25th November of this year. You can find the record of this in Hansard here

Also could you please explain what being sued under the same principle means? Some case law here would be of great help.
This country is full of pussies. "OMG Snow, we're all going to do die". This is all I hear 24/7 since last Tuesday. Jeez it's not that bad - unless there is a blizzard that I didn't hear about.
Reply 53

This was the 25th November of this year. You can find the record of this in Hansard here

Also could you please explain what being sued under the same principle means? Some case law here would be of great help.

Thanks for the link.

By 'sued under the same principle'. I mean people have been sued for making matters worse in a situation. I'm sorry I don't have any case law to hand, but I'm sure you will find some if you look through a Tort textbook.
Original post by Steph90
Thanks for the link.

By 'sued under the same principle'. I mean people have been sued for making matters worse in a situation. I'm sorry I don't have any case law to hand, but I'm sure you will find some if you look through a Tort textbook.

I'll consult Westlaw as a matter of urgency.
Reply 55
No matter how cold the water may feel, I wish to take a foroj shower and attend the fajar namaj at the mosque.
Reply 56
I don't think the problems at Heathrow have to do with people not clearing their driveway. And this is the UK, if the state isn't holding your hand you are supposed to fall over and show puppy eyes, then get an article in the Daily Mail and sell a book about the injustice of it all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending