The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial Offers 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
It -is- South Kensington; so unless you're loaded, doubtless there's going to be cheapskate urges floating about. :tongue: Though meh, what with currently being at boarding school, I have no qualms rooming with someone new...the only difference is that there'll probably be an ensuite this time. YAHOO! :biggrin:

Original post by nikita_atikin
Well, I love geekdom and tbh, I'm doing computing for a reason :biggrin: Imperial is the mother of all geekdoms so I better get used to it. :biggrin: Besides, geek chic is where it's at. :wink:

Yay geekdom! -dances-

*hugs her Big Bang Theory DVDs and her PHP manuals - and I didn't even apply for computing! :tongue:*
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 161
You're joking right? :shock: As if, you will be accomodated in the Boathouse, are you a rower, Robbeh? :sexface:

Nah, I won't be good enough to get into boathouse, just joking there :biggrin:
Disagreement with you two's stances on pricing, getting a monstrous student loan and a massive room in first-year is the way forward :rolleyes: they better be right about that starting salary...
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 162
Original post by roblee
Disagreement with you two's stances on pricing, getting a monstrous student loan and a massive room in first-year is the way forward :rolleyes: they better be right about that starting salary...

Don't have that option here, I'm afraid. What the 2012 students pay in 3 years for their uni ed is what I pay in just a year for university in the UK, what with the fact that I hail from Malaysia XD

So on that note...what student loan? Applying for scholarship awards from corporate bodies - and being a temp reincarnation of Ebenezer Scrooge - sounds a lot more "my thing". :P
Reply 163
Original post by arianex
Don't have that option here, I'm afraid. What the 2012 students pay in 3 years for their uni ed is what I pay in just a year for university in the UK, what with the fact that I hail from Malaysia XD

So on that note...what student loan? Applying for scholarship awards from corporate bodies - and being a temp reincarnation of Ebenezer Scrooge - sounds a lot more "my thing". :P

:console: Sorry, forgot about that, silly unfair system :angry:

Have you looked for a sponsor? I thought they were only willing to help out those who did Year In Industry with them (selfish clods).

Spoiler

Reply 164
Original post by roblee
:console: Sorry, forgot about that, silly unfair system :angry:

Have you looked for a sponsor? I thought they were only willing to help out those who did Year In Industry with them (selfish clods).

Spoiler

You're forgiven :biggrin:

Sponsor = hence what I meant by scholarship, because I don't think any Brit companies are willing to sponsor some foreign alien, even if I did do a Year in Industry with them xD (not that I applied for that though.) I have my eye on a few aid programs back home, but their applications don't start until later in the spring :P

There are a number of corporate bodies here in Malaysia that give out such aid awards to people accepted at pretty high-ranking places (regardless of course), and that doesn't have to be courses that relate to the field of their company (eg: a telco company making a pretty high profit may award a scholarship to someone who'd like to study healthcare; it's kinda like a high-achievers thing :biggrin:)

Trouble is, it's very likely that a) you'll find that the companies ask for specific fields of studies (people here aren't really familiar with Biomed Eng as a subject), and b) I'll be bonded after my course. Meh, small price to pay! :cool:
Original post by roblee

I have the overseas fees issue as well :frown: Will have to live off mummy and daddy but there is a chance I can switch to home fees (quite a high chance) which is a bonuuuuuuussssss! :woo:
I don't care where I live as long as I have stuff to eat and the company is good :biggrin: I'll live in a bin bag if I have to :rofl:
Reply 166
Original post by arianex
There are a number of corporate bodies here in Malaysia that give out such aid awards to people accepted at pretty high-ranking places (regardless of course), and that doesn't have to be courses that relate to the field of their company (eg: a telco company making a pretty high profit may award a scholarship to someone who'd like to study healthcare; it's kinda like a high-achievers thing :biggrin:)

Trouble is, it's very likely that a) you'll find that the companies ask for specific fields of studies (people here aren't really familiar with Biomed Eng as a subject), and b) I'll be bonded after my course. Meh, small price to pay! :cool:

Ach, they'll be bending over backwards to give you a sponsorship once you tell them you're going to Imperial :smile: tis a Top Ten University if I remember aright :smug:

I have the overseas fees issue as well :frown: Will have to live off mummy and daddy but there is a chance I can switch to home fees (quite a high chance) which is a bonuuuuuuussssss! :woo:
I don't care where I live as long as I have stuff to eat and the company is good :biggrin: I'll live in a bin bag if I have to :rofl:

Live in the lab :cool:
(actually happens near the end of term apparently, since there's so much work :eek:)
Reply 167
Original post by roblee
Ach, they'll be bending over backwards to give you a sponsorship once you tell them you're going to Imperial :smile: tis a Top Ten University if I remember aright :smug:

Cheers Rob! :biggrin: My fingers are crossed for those prospects :redface:

Live in the lab :cool:
(actually happens near the end of term apparently, since there's so much work :eek:)

Or the library - my guide has actually slept a "full night's sleep" (HAH!) in there quite a few times. xD
Reply 168
Anybody who went on the 1st of december interview for civil engineering, have you heard anything yet?
If its self-catering then I would be living off toast and omelettes during my time at Imperial :cool:

Original post by roblee

Do you actually row though? Just out of interest (I do!)
Original post by Supernovae
If its self-catering then I would be living off toast and omelettes during my time at Imperial :cool:

Aha join the club, toast and omlettes for me too :biggrin: Although, I do make some fit cheesecakes but not sure how obese we'd be by the end of 4 years if that's all we ate. :s-smilie:

I don't think Robbeh rows btw... Blinking idiot got my hopes up :mad: Will you try for the Boathouse though? It's supposed to be reaaaallly nice even though it's a bit out of the way and there are only like 10 people. Not to mention loads of other rowers :wink:
Reply 171
Original post by Supernovae

Yes, I row. It's more of an exercise/cardio thing than a competitive thing though, I can't remember ever having been in a race or anything.
You're going to turn out to be an olympic rower, aren't you?

Aha join the club, toast and omlettes for me too :biggrin: Although, I do make some fit cheesecakes but not sure how obese we'd be by the end of 4 years if that's all we ate. :s-smilie:

I don't think Robbeh rows btw... Blinking idiot got my hopes up :mad: Will you try for the Boathouse though? It's supposed to be reaaaallly nice even though it's a bit out of the way and there are only like 10 people. Not to mention loads of other rowers :wink:

Then it is settled. We all apply for Boathouse.
Original post by roblee
Yes, I row. It's more of an exercise/cardio thing than a competitive thing though, I can't remember ever having been in a race or anything.
You're going to turn out to be an olympic rower, aren't you?

Then it is settled. We all apply for Boathouse.

Robbeh you actually row? :sexface:
I can tell I'm going to have a fun time a Imp. :biggrin:
And errr no we are NOT trying for the Boathouse! I'm soooo unfit, they'll just look at me and be like "lol that dumpy girl wants to be a rower, yeah right!" :frown:
Can we all apply for Beit instead? :biggrin:
Reply 173
Robbeh you actually row? :sexface:
I can tell I'm going to have a fun time a Imp. :biggrin:
And errr no we are NOT trying for the Boathouse! I'm soooo unfit, they'll just look at me and be like "lol that dumpy girl wants to be a rower, yeah right!" :frown:
Can we all apply for Beit instead? :biggrin:

Dunno about Beit... It's close to the pub and labs and stuff, but I'm a bit scared of ending up living my life in that 400m circle instead of getting to cycle through London's fumes every morning.
Also, I know this sounds a bit paranoid, but I'd rather not discuss exactly which accommodation I applied to until the deadline's over; you never know who might be listening (or... reading?)
:colone::colone::colone:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 174
Surely the accommodation and such is first handled after getting our final results? Or are we supposed to apply for it before that stage?
Original post by roblee
Dunno about Beit... It's close to the pub and labs and stuff, but I'm a bit scared of ending up living my life in that 400m circle instead of getting to cycle through London's fumes every morning.
Also, I know this sounds a bit paranoid, but I'd rather not discuss exactly which accommodation I applied to until the deadline's over; you never know who might be listening (or... reading?)
:colone::colone::colone:

I don't understand, who do you think might be reading this? :lolwut: Are you scared of being stalked by some other applicant? :rofl:

Original post by chrypton
Surely the accommodation and such is first handled after getting our final results? Or are we supposed to apply for it before that stage?

I think it's in about May that they open accommodation applications. You apply before you get your results :smile: I think they only confirm what room number etc it is after the results (in case someone misses their offer so they don't "waste" a room) :biggrin:
Reply 176
Original post by chrypton

We get the accommodation forms sometime after firming, no idea if it's before or after results day TBH. I just don't think it's very wise to shout to the internet exactly where you'll be living next year :rolleyes:
(could be paranoia, ignore me if you disagree)
Reply 177
Original post by jimimick
What's your offer?

A*AA in Maths, F-Maths and Physics

So you're international now and hoping to switch to home before the course next year? Same here :s-smilie: Will be firming Imperial anyway though :s-smilie:

Ayee. Applying for my indefinite leave to remain tomorrow since I'm currently on a chinese passport with work permit dependent visa. Less than straightforward since I'm 18

And about geekdom... Apparently we get 300Mb/Sec ACTUAL DL speed in the EEE department. Some dude downloaded a DVD in 5mins :O
No wonder Imperial has blocked world of warcraft in the library hahaha
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 178
Original post by roblee
We get the accommodation forms sometime after firming, no idea if it's before or after results day TBH. I just don't think it's very wise to shout to the internet exactly where you'll be living next year :rolleyes:

Oh OK. And yeah, I completely agree with you, discussing where you want to live on this forum(or anywhere public on the internet) seems a bit risky.
Original post by roblee

Oh yeah, fair point actually... we can't really say. :s-smilie: Didn't think of that. It's alright, we'll PMs each other after we get the final accomodation decision :h:

Spoiler

Btw, does anyone know what Imperial's policy is on TVs? Are we allowed to get our own or is there a common one in the common room? Do people normally get their TVs in anyway? :confused:
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending